Spring Drilling Fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

Normally drill Ky31 at 1/2 inch at exactly the time frame you said. Clip the pasture when the heads go to seed (don't clip too close and also unless you are wanting it to mature and reseed the pasture).

Edit: As to clipping, do you mean before you drill or after it is established? Listen to KT more than me, he is the KY31 expert.

Normally drill Ky31 at 1/2 inch at exactly the time frame you said. Clip the pasture when the heads go to seed (don't clip too close and also unless you are wanting it to mature and reseed the pasture).

Edit: As to clipping, do you mean before you drill or after it is established? Listen to KT more than me, he is the KY31 expert.
No expert but have made all the mistakes.
Also if you can let it get a seedhead and established well it will stand the grazing much better.
Too many people try to graze all grasses when they are small and not well establish and the cows kill the seedlings.

@kenny thomas @sstterry

I was meaning clip the existing grass after planting new. Was thinking I would need to keep the existing grass in check to give the new a better chance to establish. Would be drilling an existing pasture that has lots of six weeks fescue that comes up every spring and then lays over once it matures and turns brown, drives me nuts.

That's on the high side but should get you a good stand.
Did you soil sample? I will have to look but seems like the 6 week fescue is an indication of something lacking. It also is a result of thin grasses.

Last edited:
Haven't got it back yet. Had one done last summer for a fall NRCS clover deal in the same field. Needed 2 tons of lime per acre and the the fertilizer of course, hoping it doesn't need the lime or as much again. Tried broadcasting some fescue in with the clover, it didn't take.

My opinion is fescue should be sown in late summer or fall at the beginning of the cool season growth cycle. If you wait until late winter or early spring then you are entering the tail end of its growth cycle....not impossible, just harder as a rule IMO. Running a grass harrow in the fall will stimulate some dormant fescue seeds if you already have a good supply in the soil bank.

Haven't got it back yet. Had one done last summer for a fall NRCS clover deal in the same field. Needed 2 tons of lime per acre and the the fertilizer of course, hoping it doesn't need the lime or as much again. Tried broadcasting some fescue in with the clover, it didn't take.
If you limed last fall it's unlikely that you will need more yet. Frost seeding clover works ok and it's hit and miss with the fescue. But that would not be done until February or so.

I've always been told it's best to plant fescue in early fall here in Arkansas so it establishes good root before the summer heat. You will probably get a good stand if you plant early spring but it might not survive if we have a dry, hot summer.

Here it is a toss up planting in late summer. I just did an 1-1.5 acre lot with fescue and covered the entire thing with hay. The fescue came up and then we went in a dry spell and it got torched. I waited until late Octobe or beginning of November and did it again with cereal eye and they are both up and holding on even though we have got several frosts.

I should of known better because I've had to push my food plot plantings a month or more later because it has been very dry late summer.

Latest posts