Spring Cleanup of Winter Feeding Areas,,,Suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I have an area of pasture near the corral where I fed hay to 15 head over the winter. This was my first winter with cattle on the place. Most big round bales were in the feeder but occasionally I put one on the ground for them. There is a nice mix of manure and hay on the ground. I can't afford to lose a lot of grass area and would also like to use the manure mix, composted or otherwise. I have a loader bucket and a rear blade but both leave a scarfed hard surface that will be tough to regrow grass.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to gather up this mix in a way that lets grass regrow? Especially in northern areas? What sort of tool do you use? My drag just seems to roll it up. Something with teeth on it? Or should I just disc the area and reseed? I appreciate any suggestions.

Depending on how deep/thick the layer is you could just leave it. It will break down by itself and sprout grass from the leftover seed heads in the hay

I ususally pile the residue in the spring and let it compost over the summer and then spread it in the fall. After piling in the spring I run a small disk over the bare ground and then seed in new grass or grain seed so there is a little late summer grazzing in this area. Hope this helps answer your questions.

now your in the north, so i 'm not sure this is good advise, but our herd is a bit larger than yours, but not by too much. we try not to feed in any one place too regular. we feed both bales and round bales. we do have a round rack, but if we use it, we move it often. it seems like a little more work to not put hay in same place all the time, but we don't end up with the poopy mud hole in the spring. (on the other hand i would at this very minute jump on that compost for my garden.)