Spring bull sales

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
That time of year again, who's going where when. What are the best ones to go to? Curious as to which ones are can't miss events. Who knows maybe some more CT impromptu get togethers to be had.

SmokinM":36omidvv said:
That time of year again, who's going where when. What are the best ones to go to? Curious as to which ones are can't miss events. Who knows maybe some more CT impromptu get togethers to be had.

Deer Valley Farm in southern middle Tennessee is a good one. Not sure when they are having it this year. Usually in March.

TennesseeTuxedo":2mv88d3n said:
SmokinM":2mv88d3n said:

Deer Valley Farm in southern middle Tennessee is a good one. Not sure when they are having it this year. Usually in March.
Went to their fall sale, it was nice!

Deer Valley is on my list to hit soon but I don't think it will be this spring. Sydgen sale in MO is also on my go list hopefully this fall. Beef Expo would be a good experience too but I have to much going right now to get there.

Headquarters for Hindquarters in Harrisonburg Va. Don Benner of Benfield Angus and another farm both put it on. We have bought several there over the years. Mid March, maybe the 17th. Probably too far east/north for most except maybe the Va crowd.

Jan
If you can find a sure date for that I would be interested. I will look it up and see if I can find it. You are from that area do you have any knowledge about Maymont Angus? Saw an ad in the Journal for their sale in a few weeks and am thinking pretty serious about going.
Thanks
Steve

Knoll Crest and Quaker Hill are coming up. They're not too far from you folks in the valley.

SmokinM":q6d2ahqx said:
Jan
If you can find a sure date for that I would be interested. I will look it up and see if I can find it. You are from that area do you have any knowledge about Maymont Angus? Saw an ad in the Journal for their sale in a few weeks and am thinking pretty serious about going.
Thanks
Steve

Headquarters sale is March 17 at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds on Rt 11 just south of Harrisonburg, Va. I think you can google it and info will come up. Sale starts @ 12 or 1 but there is lunch there and a chance to walk the pens and look at the bulls. 20 some years now. They are big on grass type genetics. We got a bull from them that they had imported from Montana back about 10 years ago because he was ready to move him and we liked the calves. He has done alright for us. Then we bought a young easy calving bull a couple of years later, and another the following year. Still are using both of them. Bought a plus weight young bull 2 years ago and put him out this fall with a group of 40 cows after he got another year on him. Will see how we like the calves. The calves out of both easy calving bulls are small, compact, and the heifers have had them with no problem. They are a bit smaller framed, but have used them on some cows as cleanup and they are average sized at birth. All have had good dispositioned.

Knollcrest has a very good reputation. Hoping we can go to the sale this year just to see. It is in April I think. Quaker Hill I don't know much about but have heard the name often. I thought they had a fall sale but maybe have a spring one also. I don't know that much about Maymont either although they are north of me above Harrisonburg Va. Will have to look up their sale. We are in pretty good shape as far as bulls go right now. But we weren't really looking for a bull when we bought the plus weight one at the Benner sale 2 years ago. Just thought he looked pretty good, the price was right so we got him. Let him grow a year and then put him out this fall with a good sized group of cows. We have 2 bulls we really like the calves out of so have used them on our bigger groups of cows. Some pastures we can only run 10-15 cows and some have 40. We have alot of bulls because of that. Sometimes it is just a good day out and able to see and meet other farmers too.
Benfield Angus has/had a bull in the Select Sires beef catalog .

Hoping to make it to Mead Farms this Saturday and Circle A on 17th.
Both in mid Missouri.

Knollcrest does have very nice bulls as does Quaker Hill. I have a bull from QH I am using now and attend their sales every year. They usually do a spring and a fall sale. Maymont sale is on March 24th. at noon. Thanks for the info. on the Harrisonburg sale. Are you going even though you aren't shopping? The social part is good although I don't hobnob much. I like to see the stock and what they bring. Like most people sometimes I am in the market sometimes not but always bring the checkbook just in case.

we are heading to beef expo this weekend also, especially with the rain mud situation continuing. 50/50 chance of making it to Boyd on 3-10.

Branch View in Hustonville ky is on the calender too. All depends on how busy we are on April 14

Unless something very unexpected comes up we do try to go to the H'burg sale, so plan on being there. We had no intention of buying that bull 2 years ago but always take the checkbook too. It would be nice to go to the Maymont sale just to look and see what their bulls look like.
If you go to H'burg, and we are there, look for a 5'6" female, glasses, brown/grey hair, carrying some extra weight. Walk with a limp due to joint issues. My son Michael is 6'6", wearing glasses now brown hair with some grey, usually has a partial beard, not thin but definitely not overweight. Mutt and Jeff !!!!!

Latest posts