Spring Breeding, What's Everyone Using?

Help Support CattleToday:

Have you noticed any docility issues with Bruiser calves?
I want to use him more but worry about docility issues. I'm guessing by your description they aren't the best looking calves either.

I have some bred to him right now and debated using him on some hereford cows this spring. Seems good baldys are selling as well as registered stuff here right now.
Bruiser on Herefords would probably be really good fit. Herefords docility is usually almost too much. I used him on some angus cows and calves will be coming in a couple months

Connealy Dry Valley- Using on roughly 2/3 of our cows. Had a small group this fall and every single one is a standout. Plan to flush to him either this Spring or next.
S A V Rainfall & Woodhill Blueprint- Using mostly on heifers out of lighter milking cows. Also will put some embryos in out of Blueprint.
SydGen Shape & KR Synergy- Using mostly on heifers out of heavier milking cows. Also will put some embryos in out of Synergy.
KM Broken Bow 002- Used him the past couple of years. Really like the calves. Just finishing out the last couple of straws.

Our herd bulls that will be doing cleanup duty this year. They are waiting in the pasture once the cows are AI'd.
Byergo ID 0739
G A R Prophet Y7004

Last edited:
We used Cuda https://selectsiresbeef.com/bull/hereford/behm-100w-cuda-504c/ the past 2 years, got some really nice replacement heifers and have a 2nd set of calves due by him this spring but are all out of semen on him but based on 1st impressions would not hesitate to use him again.

Got our eyes on 2 bulls to try next, probably leaning towards GO King E33 out of the Oschner program https://www.qualitybulls.com/hereford-herd-sires. One of the co-owners is in our state and got to see him in person at their production sale before he was going to be loaded up and headed to another of the owners place later that day and thought he was a good looking bull. The other is BG LCC 11B Perfecto 84F https://www.streamlinegenetics.com/polled-bulls/semen/detail/id/8372

We do 1 round of AI then cleanup with our own bull S Coventry Y02 4D who we offer AI on too as we like his calves just as much as the AI sires we use and hoping some others can benefit too by using him. Our biggest issue is being a small cow herd can't go too heavy with the herd bull else we get too much of the same genetics so we use AI to introduce new bloodlines while trying to keep our calving season fairly tight.

We used Cuda https://selectsiresbeef.com/bull/hereford/behm-100w-cuda-504c/ the past 2 years, got some really nice replacement heifers and have a 2nd set of calves due by him this spring but are all out of semen on him but based on 1st impressions would not hesitate to use him again.

Got our eyes on 2 bulls to try next, probably leaning towards GO King E33 out of the Oschner program https://www.qualitybulls.com/hereford-herd-sires. One of the co-owners is in our state and got to see him in person at their production sale before he was going to be loaded up and headed to another of the owners place later that day and thought he was a good looking bull. The other is BG LCC 11B Perfecto 84F https://www.streamlinegenetics.com/polled-bulls/semen/detail/id/8372

We do 1 round of AI then cleanup with our own bull S Coventry Y02 4D who we offer AI on too as we like his calves just as much as the AI sires we use and hoping some others can benefit too by using him. Our biggest issue is being a small cow herd can't go too heavy with the herd bull else we get too much of the same genetics so we use AI to introduce new bloodlines while trying to keep our calving season fairly tight.
Have you been able to source any Cuda semen recently? I still have a few straws left, but my AI guy has moved on from Select Sires to independent and doesn't have the strings to pull anymore to get semen that is limited. Still have some Small Town Kid but hesitant to use him any more. I've only got 6 herf's to breed out of the herd. Most are PB angus or SimAngus, but the herf's are a special little cow family.

Connealy Dry Valley- Using on roughly 2/3 of our cows. Had a small group this fall and every single one is a standout. Plan to flush to him either this Spring or next.
S A V Rainfall & Woodhill Blueprint- Using mostly on heifers out of lighter milking cows. Also will put some embryos in out of Blueprint.
SydGen Shape & KR Synergy- Using mostly on heifers out of heavying milking cows. Also will put some embryos in out of Synergy.
KM Broken Bow 002- Used him the past couple of years. Really like the calves. Just finishing out the last couple of straws.

Our herd bulls that will be doing cleanup duty this year. They are waiting in the pasture once the cows are AI'd.
Byergo ID 0739
G A R Prophet Y7004
I had tried getting connealy dry valley but it's pretty sad how little selection we have up in Canada. They said I'd have to order 200 minimum. Can't commit to that much at this stage of the game here. He's nice bull though

Have you been able to source any Cuda semen recently? I still have a few straws left, but my AI guy has moved on from Select Sires to independent and doesn't have the strings to pull anymore to get semen that is limited. Still have some Small Town Kid but hesitant to use him any more. I've only got 6 herf's to breed out of the herd. Most are PB angus or SimAngus, but the herf's are a special little cow family.

We used up the last of both our Cuda and Small Town Kid semen last summer so haven't tried to acquire more of Cuda but I would assume there is plenty available on Cuda if you contact Select Sires directly to inquire. We may use him again later but moving to different bloodlines next as we kept 3 replacement heifers by him and likely could get more heifers in this years calf crop too.

We are done using Small Town Kid now after he came up a carrier of MD. Loved the calves we got out of him, kept 1 heifer that is due to calve this month to our Coventry bull and if she turns out to be a good cow will have her DNA tested later this year to see if she is a MD carrier so we can properly manage and test her calves if she is. Won't have anything out of STK this year, we had just 1 straw left and the cow we used him on didn't stick to the service but should have a handful of Cuda calves if the vet is right on his dates when we preg checked. We've been pretty fortunate not to have been bitten hard by the MSUD and MD defects so far. We did a lot of DNA testing after the MSUD defect came out a couple years ago as we used On Target 936 and a kept a son of his as a herd sire that both came up as carriers and of all the females we still had by either only 1 came up a carrier so that was a relief as some guys were seeing 50% or more of their progeny out of the 936 lines test as carriers too.

I had tried getting connealy dry valley but it's pretty sad how little selection we have up in Canada. They said I'd have to order 200 minimum. Can't commit to that much at this stage of the game here. He's nice bull though
Connealy Dry Valley AAA# 18533906 has a BW EPD of +3.3 and the YW is only +107. I think it's better you not use this bull.

He's not black, but I'm using Wallawong New Kid On The Block (NKOTB).

Franke - funny you would mention Paint Brush - Cattle Vision just announced carrying PBF Red Paint. Picture and numbers looks good. I will have to try to find someone that has seen him for structure. Although, so far, EO has proven to sire some really nice ones. I am checking out whether they are testing him for Homo Polled. Right now, he is just listed Polled.
As I was typing this, I got a call from Paint Brush Farm. They are testing him now. Dam & Granddam are polled and have never produced anything horned, so they are "assuming" he is Homo, but awaiting test results.
How has your EO calves attitudes been? My United son I had made my calves really hot. I liked that Red Paint bull till I seen his DOC too. I've also been around some Chopper's that we meaner than few of the bulls I rode, but the good ones were good.

Vermillion Spur on commercial heifers
Conneally Cool registered Angus
Musgrave Colossal flush on a Summit Angus cow and also some Angus cows

IR Imperial or WS Epic on red Simmentals, see how I like Imperials I got coming

Use few older bulls in tank too,
Lucky Dice and some BC Lookout

Connealy Dry Valley AAA# 18533906 has a BW EPD of +3.3 and the YW is only +107. I think it's better you not use this bull.

He's not black, but I'm using Wallawong New Kid On The Block (NKOTB).
His CED is 3 which maybe isn't the greatest but it isn't terrible. CEM is 10. Good feet, docility, not bad hp, maternal index. Calves look good and stout. Fairly balanced Bull overall. Yw 107 is definitely his weak spot but I'm sure through selective mating he could be real good bull to have as an option.
but I'm possibly more disappointed I couldn't get renown lol.

Profit, JBSF Berwick, and Pays to Believe (all embryos)

Simmental AI will be Felt Last Call, Geff County O, GCC KMJ Husker, W/C Bullseye, SSC Shell Shocked, and HPF Optimizer

Red Angus AI will be Red Wildman Karl, Red U2 Reverence, Red MRLA Resource, and a Duff bull, but not sure which one just yet.

Flush bulls will be W/C Bankroll, Profit, and Geff County O

Pinebank Waigroup 41/97 on a Resource x Charlo heifer.
Confidence Plus on A Power Play x Leachman Saugahatchee heifer
Sterling Pacific on a Raindance Heifer
Hoover No Doubt on Leachman Right Time cows.

Last edited:
Vermillion Spur on commercial heifers
Conneally Cool registered Angus
Musgrave Colossal flush on a Summit Angus cow and also some Angus cows

IR Imperial or WS Epic on red Simmentals, see how I like Imperials I got coming

Use few older bulls in tank too,
Lucky Dice and some BC Lookout
S Summit or ZWT?

Musgrave Exclusive (sorted)
TEX Playbook
Musgrave Crackerjack (sorted)
SAV Rainfall
SAV Resource
Deer Valley Growth Fund
SAV Territory
A few changes from a year ago ...

Exclusive
Crackerjack
ZWT Summit
Rainfall
Square B Bozeman
Still have some Raindance embryos to put in

Adding in spring or fall ...
SAV Territory
Cap 316 (restock)

Not breeding anything just flushing donor cow.
Connealy National
Deer Valley Unique
Baldridge Alternative
Baldridge beast mode
Deer valley Wall Street.

How has your EO calves attitudes been? My United son I had made my calves really hot. I liked that Red Paint bull till I seen his DOC too. I've also been around some Chopper's that we meaner than few of the bulls I rode, but the good ones were good.
Pretty much all the EO calves I have been around have been a bit high headed. But they have been dang good. LOL

Latest posts