Spring Breeding, What's Everyone Using?

Help Support CattleToday:

Looking at his listing on ASA, his numbers are superb. CE, Growth, excellent maternal traits. His dam's sire is an all time great bull.
His phenotype is pretty good. Nice clean front end, good round middle. If I had to fault him, I would want a little more rear quarter. I like the rear quarter to be flatter from the side profile, so that it carries down into his hock area. I'm not the best on describing what I see. I just know what I like.
If you lived close, I could get you a 25% discount from Genex. Just have to pay a $25/membership fee to NYSA!! I'm a dealer for all the studs. I don't get that much discount from all of them, but my members save a ton. Semen shipped to us from CV (our biggest supplier). ABS, Gx, and Select Sire deliver to me. Everyone shares the shipping fee, so, usually about $0.25/unit. Maybe more this year. Our orders have been coming in pretty sparce.

All Angus here. Preliminary list:

U-2 Coalition - some heifers
WXW Timberline - heifers and some cows
Square B True North - some heifers
S Right Time 7861 - big stout calves being born now - definitely not for heifers, but doing well so far.
Ox Bow Ozzie 3233 - maybe, waiting to see how PAP on sons comes out.
Basin Safe Deposit - maybe, good cattle so far, but can get a little extra sheath flap I don't like.
FRANK Perfect Timing 891 (herd sire) - maternal emphasis. PAP scores real good so far.
FRANK Medicine Man 890 (herd sire) - his calves have an amazing will to live and survive in crap conditions and the daughters have done really well as cows. They are kind of hard to look at, but pretty is as pretty does.

This is our first year doing AI but we are using Tehama Tahoe and SAV Rainfall. Also have a few straws of HPCA Veracious in the tank as well.
This will be our 3rd spring doing AI and I cannot speak highly enough of Rainfall. His calves have been studs from day 1. They all have an alpha personality regardless of what cows we put him in. Been super happy with him

This will be our 3rd spring doing AI and I cannot speak highly enough of Rainfall. His calves have been studs from day 1. They all have an alpha personality regardless of what cows we put him in. Been super happy with him
Are you finding it harder to get Rainfall semen now? I was able to get 50 straws from our rep.

Looking at his listing on ASA, his numbers are superb. CE, Growth, excellent maternal traits. His dam's sire is an all time great bull.
His phenotype is pretty good. Nice clean front end, good round middle. If I had to fault him, I would want a little more rear quarter. I like the rear quarter to be flatter from the side profile, so that it carries down into his hock area. I'm not the best on describing what I see. I just know what I like.
If you lived close, I could get you a 25% discount from Genex. Just have to pay a $25/membership fee to NYSA!! I'm a dealer for all the studs. I don't get that much discount from all of them, but my members save a ton. Semen shipped to us from CV (our biggest supplier). ABS, Gx, and Select Sire deliver to me. Everyone shares the shipping fee, so, usually about $0.25/unit. Maybe more this year. Our orders have been coming in pretty sparce.
I would find out his frame score as the breeder trends towards lower frame scores as a whole in their herd, which may or may not be your cup of tea. They have been very responsive to my questions in the past.

I saw the thread for fall breeding, but I can't be the only one that is starting too narrow down my semen selection and AI protocol for spring. As of right now I am considering using these bulls:
How do sell your AI calves?

All Angus here. Preliminary list:

U-2 Coalition - some heifers
WXW Timberline - heifers and some cows
Square B True North - some heifers
S Right Time 7861 - big stout calves being born now - definitely not for heifers, but doing well so far.
Ox Bow Ozzie 3233 - maybe, waiting to see how PAP on sons comes out.
Basin Safe Deposit - maybe, good cattle so far, but can get a little extra sheath flap I don't like.
FRANK Perfect Timing 891 (herd sire) - maternal emphasis. PAP scores real good so far.
FRANK Medicine Man 890 (herd sire) - his calves have an amazing will to live and survive in crap conditions and the daughters have done really well as cows. They are kind of hard to look at, but pretty is as pretty does.
I am glad to hear you are liking your Right Time calves. Keep us posted how they are doing. I would never recommend him for first calf heifers but have had zero problems on second calvers. The bigger birth calves handle cold weather better here so I like 3 to 5 birth epd Angus bulls.

We ended up with 366 units of semen in our order. Disperse it all tomorrow.
My Simmental list:
OMF Epic
Woodford J001
LRSF Redstone
SAS Infra-Red
Epic has been an all around great bull. Very happy with his calves - heifers and bulls.
Redstone & Infra-Red are new red bulls.
Red bulls are the hardest to find - well, red bulls that I want to breed to.
I have lots of choices in my tank.

Will use all the bulls used last year, plus added a couple french lims, will use Bazadaise bull on 50% Bazadaise heifer and will try for atleast one Maine anjou calf. Going to get two new french Charolais and new Parthenaise bull.
Charolais:
Limousine:
Will use lims and charolais the most, but as always there will be some different breeds used.

Just put in my order the other day.
Angus:
Peakdot Trust - had to go back to him after noticing how many of his daughters were standouts in the heifer pen.
Baldridge Gibson- AI rep recommendation
Charolais:
To be used on a neighbors herd and in my herd to cross with angus for those high selling charolais influence calves.
Triumph
Level up
Level up sexed male. Chaching 💵

Will use all the bulls used last year, plus added a couple french lims, will use Bazadaise bull on 50% Bazadaise heifer and will try for atleast one Maine anjou calf. Going to get two new french Charolais and new Parthenaise bull.
Charolais:
Limousine:
Will use lims and charolais the most, but as always there will be some different breeds used.
Those are some fine looking specimens with working clothes on. I don't understand the #'s or the language but I can see money.

Using again this year:
CAR Hobson, mostly on heifers, have a lot of calves on the ground, on first calf heifers his come easy and hot the ground running. Just called his first daughter's this year and am really happy with them.
Baldrige Versatile, like most of his calves we have on the ground, though this is our first set from him. Will know more as calves grow.
Vermillion Spur E143, his calves did exceptionally well at our sale this spring, thick powerful calves, really loved what I saw there.
Diamond Logo 707H, not from a stud, just a bull i own, another bull with some more birthweight and growth to him. Docile, easy working bull, a lot of length, really nice looking bull all around.
New bulls this year:
Basin jumbo 1315, 2nd high seller at Basin Angus last year, seems to check all the boxes on paper, good pedigree, also good looking bull with a lot of rib shape and dimension to him.
Diamond Cavalry 104: top seller at diamond dot angus last year, moderate framed, thick, high volume bull. Extreme docile, just well rounded bull.

AI here this year S Architect and Tex Playbook on heifers S Right Time 7861 on cows. We semen test bulls tomorrow and if we come up short on bull power we will just have to ai more to Right Time 7861.We have been getting very positive feedback on calf reports thus far.

AI here this year S Architect and Tex Playbook on heifers S Right Time 7861 on cows. We semen test bulls tomorrow and if we come up short on bull power we will just have to ai more to Right Time 7861.We have been getting very positive feedback on calf reports thus far.
Funny thing, I spent hours mulling various options and landed on Architect as well. Putting him on some cows that just need a little more growth. Initially shied away because of high negative $EN and huge yearling weight. Figured the cows he will be used on may tone it down. Right Time on the ones that are the right size. For heifers, using a son of True North. The half sisters to the heifer bull get a chance at some leftover U-2 Coalition and then out with the cows and one of the old herd bulls that is moderate calving ease.