Spring born calf marketing

Help Support CattleToday:

randyalexander

Reaction score
Hey guys, I live in North Louisiana and I'm trying to figure out when is the best time to sell spring born calves. I've been researching price trends and weights, while looking at current prices and futures to try and get an idea of what will be my best option for this year. Currently I have majority late January/February born calves that are 95% bulls. My calves are predominantly yellow and red baldys. For reference on their weights, last year I sold a few march 1st steer calves on Nov 1st right off the cow and they weighed 570. The rest of my calves were born mid march to mid April, and were sold the end of September weighing 470-555. So with that being said, I am estimating that by September they would at least average 500 conservatively, and by November/December if I wean and feed them, they would be closer to 600-650, hopefully more. Regardless if I wean them or not, I will castrate and give everything at least 1 round of shots. If I wean them I will give them a second round. The following are a few of the ideas that I am looking into:

1. Sell mid September straight off the cow averaging 7 months old.
  2. Wean in August for 45 days to sell in September.
  3. Sell in Nov straight off the cow.
  4. Wean October 1st and Sell Nov/Dec as 45-60 day weaned calves.
  5. Possibly wean September 1st to sell mid October, but that seems to be the lowest prices of the year, so I'm not leaning towards this.

Any and all input and humor is appreciated. Have a blessed one!

Randy I hope this helps but I have been tracking the price trend at the barn I use. For me the best option for my spring calves is pull mid October and wean for 45 days. This puts them in the December market and historically for the size and type calves I bring, they do well.1677186598074.png

Control of the cost of gain makes the market easier to analyze.
Your calves will sell in a minute and a half. They eat every day..
You will find your calves are more important to you than the auctioneer. Good Luck!

I'm not in your area but I find a lot of times I can dump calves straight off the mom in late Aug and Sept for the same they would bring, at a heavier weight 45 or 60 days later. Our big runs start in Oct and Nov, right before deer season. I really like doing that because the cows fatten up and we can stockpile grass before winter.

The exception would be really wet times when grass is tall and people hold the calves until Nov Dec. If that big dump doesn't come prices will drive up usually.

It might not work in your area but could be some thing to look for. Hopefully some one in your area can help.

Latest posts