Spring Babies

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleAnnie

Reaction score
One of the finest parts of spring are the foals. This little fella graced the pasture yesterday. Kind of neat that he was born roaned out like this.

Hpim1385.jpg

Take care.

Only did have two of my mares bred last year, and wouldn't you know it, two weeks ago this little bum was born on the wrong side of the fence...literally. What're the odds?

His mom must've laid down with her rear close to the fence when she was foaling, because first thing in the a.m. I found him waiting for someone to open the gate. Talk about a 'Wrong-way Charlie'.

He's not exactly my favorite colour pattern, but at least no dumb hunter from the city will shoot him thinking he's a moose (believe it or not one of the neighbour's up the road lost a black gelding that way).

Hpim1290.jpg

Take care.

LA, you're incorrigable! Hate to admit it, but that's one of the old crock granny cows we're babying through the summer. Bummer of it is, when I was checking the foals today I found her calf partially eaten - judging by the carcass and the racket up the hill a family of coyotes made short work of the little gaffer this afternoon.

That's what happens when you run to town for groceries and bill paying, eh? Poor old broad...now she's just hobbling around calling for her calf.

I guess that's life... eat or be eaten. Sucks to be a herbivore. Let that be a warning to all vegetarians (joke...funny ha ha...).

Time for bed. Ciao.

Well, she's a fairly loud marked tobiano, and he's actually got a lot less white than his dam. Personally my favourite paint colour pattern is the overo, but I wanted to breed the toby one last time. Her last year's foal was a cracker jack of a filly - talk about muscling, and nice minded. I'll post one last photo of the paint colt to show how his colour really looks now, as his new born pics are kind of deceptive.

Hpim1393.jpg

Hopefully he turns out as easygoing and well built as his sisters and brothers have. It's the bay roan that I really have high hopes for. Ain't life grand?

Take care.

Those are some really good looking youngsters!

Makes me wish I still raised horses!
I sure do miss them. Guess that's why I was so set on training that little bull to ride!!! Figured the grandkids need *something* to ride, and we're just not set up for a horse here.
We do have 9 nice stalls in the barn, but Grandma is NOT mucking stalls for animals that I can't milk or butcher!!

Ann B

Well, what a cruddy day. Had to shoot the paint colt this afternoon. Somehow he managed to break his hock, and the prognosis for recovery was not good, to say the least. You know, I really hate it when these things happen.

Take care.

Ann Bledsoe":3926czdb said:
Those are some really good looking youngsters!
Makes me wish I still raised horses!
I sure do miss them.
Ann B

Sorry for your bad luck yesterday it can sure take the wind out of
your sails.
Take care

Well, what a cruddy day. Had to shoot the paint colt this afternoon. Somehow he managed to break his hock, and the prognosis for recovery was not good, to say the least. You know, I really hate it when these things happen.

Guess all I can say is "that sucks". Hope the other one keeps going strong.

CattleAnnie":3tvt1hn2 said:

Take care.

Sorry about your misfortune with the colt Annie.
At least you have the cattle ready to move and the hay brought up I hope you get fairly decent prices for your calves this week.
Wishing the best for you.

Latest posts