Spreadable Grass Sead?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
This is the situation, don't have a tractor, just an ATV with a spreader, and not the budget to rent one. Plus my place is so rough, it would need to be worked with a bulldozer to make a day of running a tractor worth it. I spread winter oats on top of the soil a couple of years ago in October and they took root. Had a pretty good pasture through the season. Is there a grass seed I can throw that will take root from being on the top soil before a rain? I am in Central Tx. Pastures have blue stem, coastal and native grasses during the summer.

I'm in KS, not sure if Brome will thrive in TX, but we planted it a few years ago & it's doing great. We did rent a large spreader but I literally took buckets of seed and "broadcast" by hand where he either missed or couldn't get with the tractor/spreader. The brome is baled but we also graze it from appx Oct - Jan and is generally pretty high in protein.

callmefence":ilwpvgxu said:
Klein grass will do as good as anything.
If you have sandy ground you might look into crabgrass.
If Klein will then I will give that a shot. Guy down the road has acres of klein. My property has a mix of black dirt and a little bit of clay mix in areas. My grandfather had coastal on the whole thing until we leased it out for 20 years and the guy let it go to $#%#. Now mesquites have taken over half.

Kleingrass is a good grass for heavier soils. The ground needs to be prepared for a good stand. The seed is too expensive just to throw out on top of the ground and hope you get a stand.

BK9954":185nqtp1 said:
callmefence":185nqtp1 said:
Klein grass will do as good as anything.
If you have sandy ground you might look into crabgrass.
If Klein will then I will give that a shot. Guy down the road has acres of klein. My property has a mix of black dirt and a little bit of clay mix in areas. My grandfather had coastal on the whole thing until we leased it out for 20 years and the guy let it go to $#%#. Now mesquites have taken over half.

Couple of things.. Klein won't start good with much competition. Don't try to sling it out on top of kr sod. I know you said you don't have a tractor. But a good discing is sure good to do.
It will do very well in freshly cleared brush areas especially if they've been burned. And don't get it to deep. Just slung out on bare dirt has worked best for me. If you get some started fertilize it and throw a hot wire around it and let it make seed. Ground with mesquite is generally pretty good ground for grass. Just takes time and rain.

Yeah they sell those ATV Disc for about 400 bucks which I could probably do about 3 to 5 acres a year but I guess that might be worth it if the seed will take better, about the same has renting a tractor and cheaper than buying one at the moment

You can always do it in strips. Is there no one around you that does custom farm work? I would pay someone before I would rent and try do do it on my own.

Latest posts