Spread sheet or something for keeping records

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
Any ideas anyone wants to share on keeping cattle records on individual cows. Vac, calves, troubles, what paid for and what sold for etc. I was thinking of just doing a spreadsheet and putting each cow on a seperate sheet...don't know...

I have used excel spreadsheets for years for my little purebvred herd.

Lately I am even learning how to pull old information out of old sheets to use in new sheets without retyping it all.

I have index cards, a check off sheet I carry around for counting, a spreadsheet like mentioned above, and an electronic file of individual photos I am working on. Oh and an infinite number of little bits of paper with indecipherable notes and no dates that were intended to go into the database and onto the notecards. :?

I have used an Excel spreadsheet for yrs. Here are some of the features and ways I use mine:

. A folder labeled Cow Records with a file for each yr.
. Columns set up with width to accommodate the characters. Set the page horizontal margins so that all info can be printed on one page.
.I use bold font for animals that I still own.
.At the end of the yr, I sort by the sale date. That way I can gather the yr's gain/loss info for taxes. Don't save the sort.
.At the end of the yr., the animals recorded in bold font are copied and pasted to the next yr's record.

There's better ways to keep records available but this works for me.

Cow # Description Sex Acquired Date Buy Weight Buy Price Date Sold Sale Weight Sale Price Gain/Loss Days Owned Total Growth (lbs) Growth Rate (lbs/day) Price/lb at Sale Price/lb at Buy Worm shot Respiratory shot Antibiotic shot

Format may not come up, but these are the categories I track on out feeders. Hope it helps. ;-)

I tried to upload an excel file but it would not let. If anyone wants, I can try to send you an example of a spreadsheet that i have put together. There are a lot of good formulas in there for planning and forecasting. I like playing with excel, so i went nuts on this spreadsheet. Let me know. :banana:

gerardplauche":467vndhj said:
I tried to upload an excel file but it would not let. If anyone wants, I can try to send you an example of a spreadsheet that i have put together. There are a lot of good formulas in there for planning and forecasting. I like playing with excel, so i went nuts on this spreadsheet. Let me know. :banana:

I would be interested in seeing what you are using if you don't mind sharing.
Thanks

I keep a sheet on each cow. At the top it has her tag, her CCIA (govt tag), reg# if there is one. Date/year of birth, breed/description of cow, Dam/where we got her, Sire, BW, WW/ADG, date/year she left the herd, Other ID (metal tag, tattoo). Not all of this gets filled in for every cow.

Underneath all that I have a table for her calves that includes, Birthdate, CCIA(govt tag), Description,ID, Sex, BW, H/P (horned or polled), Assist, Sire, Date Weighed, WW, ADG, Kept/Sold, and Comments(where I record anything that concerned me.

On the back of the page, I made up another table to write down vaccinations and any other medicating we did. Date, Reason, Medication, Cost, Withdrawl and comments.

This way, I can just go through a binder and see pretty much everything a cow has done, as long as we have had her. I have progressively modified all this over the last 10 years, and I am pretty happy with how it works for me.

I can send anyone the template if they are interested. Just PM me your email

Google now has a spreadsheet that stays stored on the Google cyberspace.

I keep my cow records on it, because it will always be there, as long as Google will be there. I can go to any computer around the world and access it.

I've lost notebooks, lost disks of info, had hard drives crash, had lightning, you name it, I can lose it.

So now I'm giving this "cyberspace" spreadsheet a try.