Spraying weeds........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I have sprayed all morning, emptied two tanks and over a $100 in spray chemicals and now it is raining. Later on after checking it appears the weeds look pretty sick so the rain didn't seem to hurt.

hVsC5kE.jpg

What herbicides did you spray? With a lot of them, as long as it was one for an hour or two, you'll still get decent results.

You will be surprised at the results... as long as whatever you were spraying dried before it started raining, you should be fine.

That sprayer puts most of the spray on the underside of the leaves as it blows it when spraying, so I am hoping it didn't wash the bottom of the leave off. I did notice the stick weeds looking pretty sick already.

M.Magis":deydb4a8 said:
What herbicides did you spray? With a lot of them, as long as it was one for an hour or two, you'll still get decent results.
Remedy and 2-4-D Ester plus 2 quart surfactant to make it stick. I used two quarts Remedy plus 4 quarts 2-4-D ester per 100 gallons. I did that last year and got a good kill and I noticed it even burned the cedars were it hit them.

As long as the foliage wasn't wet when you sprayed it and you had about 20-30 minutes drying time for the herbicide you should be fine. Might even see a better kill since the rain will get the weeds growing faster.

Jogeephus":17zkmba3 said:
As long as the foliage wasn't wet when you sprayed it and you had about 20-30 minutes drying time for the herbicide you should be fine. Might even see a better kill since the rain will get the weeds growing faster.
I walked around some of the places I had sprayed and the weeds were looking sick already. It rained less than a tenth, so I believe it will work the way the weeds look.

The way it was explained to me, weed killers "reprogram" the control center of a cell to continue taking on water well past what it needs until it fills to the point the cell walls explode. If that's so, as long as the herbicide was absorbed the added rain should actually help the process.

The wife and I rode out to KY a few months back and took 58 from Bristol out through Cumberland Gap, there were some gorgeous farms in that area. Are you anywhere near there?

cfpinz":222idnmr said:
The way it was explained to me, weed killers "reprogram" the control center of a cell to continue taking on water well past what it needs until it fills to the point the cell walls explode. If that's so, as long as the herbicide was absorbed the added rain should actually help the process.

The wife and I rode out to KY a few months back and took 58 from Bristol out through Cumberland Gap, there were some gorgeous farms in that area. Are you anywhere near there?
Bout 20 miles up hwy 58 east of Cumberland Gap on the Tennessee border. I live on the somewhat flat ground before you get to the mountains. KT lives not far east of me as you probably came within a quarter mile of where he lives off 58.

I'm intrigued that you got good results with such a low concentration of remedy--0.5%? Being so expensive, I'm interested in the lowest effective concentration for that product.

pdubdo":psdyoong said:
I'm intrigued that you got good results with such a low concentration of remedy--0.5%? Being so expensive, I'm interested in the lowest effective concentration for that product.
I get a pretty good kill mixing it 4 quarts 24d ester, 2 quarts Remedy and 2 quarts surfactant. Mostly what I spray is weeds, but the small bushes and trees if I spray them early I have been getting a good kill on them also. I am sure it would do better with higher concentration, but at $85 a gallon I am happy with the kill I am getting. More mature trees/bushes I would probably go 1 gallon per 100 gallon water.

jltrent":bw67uzq6 said:
Bout 20 miles up hwy 58 east of Cumberland Gap on the Tennessee border. I live on the somewhat flat ground before you get to the mountains. KT lives not far east of me as you probably came within a quarter mile of where he lives off 58.

Gotcha.

We came back through there on a Saturday afternoon, seems like there was a stock market somewhere along in there having a sale that day. We had the wife's horse trailer with us and didn't stop, looked pretty crowded her trailer doesn't have much ground clearance.

cfpinz":18ywc5mw said:
jltrent":18ywc5mw said:

Gotcha.

We came back through there on a Saturday afternoon, seems like there was a stock market somewhere along in there having a sale that day. We had the wife's horse trailer with us and didn't stop, looked pretty crowded her trailer doesn't have much ground clearance.
That is the Ewing Livestock market you pasted. I am bout a 15 minute drive from there SE. I drove that road just about everyday for well over 30 years working in the banking and corrections business.

jltrent":3u8zcff4 said:
pdubdo":3u8zcff4 said:
I get a pretty good kill mixing it 4 quarts 24d ester, 2 quarts Remedy and 2 quarts surfactant. Mostly what I spray is weeds, but the small bushes and trees if I spray them early I have been getting a good kill on them also. I am sure it would do better with higher concentration, but at $85 a gallon I am happy with the kill I am getting. More mature trees/bushes I would probably go 1 gallon per 100 gallon water.
I started off with about that herbicide ratio, but after a couple years, I've gotten rid of most of the brushy/tree type perennials and have been able to drop it down to 1 qt Remedy & 2 qts 2,4D + 1 qt surfactant per 100 gallons and still get good kills on the annuals and what few perennials that popup every once in a while.

Are you buying Remedy by the 1 gal jug JL?
I was at a big co-op in Bryan Texas last month and they had it for $77/gal in one gal jugs, but if I bought it in the 2 1/2 gal jugs, it was $144 for each jug.
1 gal @ $77 ÷ 4 =$19.25/qt.
2 1/2 gal @ $144 ÷ 10 =$14.40/qt.
Almost like getting 1/2 gal free.

Works on some small trees better than others. Sweet gum here has a shiny waxy leaf, that even with surfactant, Remedy doesn't stick or spread on well. It will turn the leaves black and curl em but they come back about 1/2 the time. I usually have to just keep after them, spot spraying them x2 a year, foliage and basal treatment.

Tallow trees are different. Their leaves suck herbicide right up.
I spray them in fall tho, right before the leaves change colors.

greybeard":1fhbm66o said:
jltrent":1fhbm66o said:
pdubdo":1fhbm66o said:
I started off with about that herbicide ratio, but after a couple years, I've gotten rid of most of the brushy/tree type perennials and have been able to drop it down to 1 qt Remedy & 2 qts 2,4D + 1 qt surfactant per 100 gallons and still get good kills on the annuals and what few perennials that popup every once in a while.

I was at a big co-op in Bryan Texas last month and they had it for $77/gal in one gal jugs, but if I bought it in the 2 1/2 gal jugs, it was $144 for each jug.
Yeah, the 2 /2 gallon jugs are the only way to go with any of the herbicides.

greybeard":2ognnc56 said:
jltrent":2ognnc56 said:
pdubdo":2ognnc56 said:

Thanks, i have always bought Remedy by the gallon, but my next purchase will be 2 1/2 jugs.