Spraying weeds before/after cutting

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
Say you have some broomweed, still a little young, up to 18"-20" high, not yet forked at the top. 2,4-d will put it down. But I'm wondering how shredding can figure into that. If you go over it with the shredder and cut it down to, say 4-5 inches, and then spray it, will the spray still work?

And what about the opposite? Suppose you spray it like it is, then wait a week, then cut it? Will the spray still work?

Ruark":23c7xpzv said:
Say you have some broomweed, still a little young, up to 18"-20" high, not yet forked at the top. 2,4-d will put it down. But I'm wondering how shredding can figure into that. If you go over it with the shredder and cut it down to, say 4-5 inches, and then spray it, will the spray still work?

And what about the opposite? Suppose you spray it like it is, then wait a week, then cut it? Will the spray still work?
The label directions are written the way they are for a reason....The product is absorbed by the leaves and takes time to work. Any deviation will work against your expectations of a successful outcome.

If your rye grass is covering the plant, most of your herbicide will not reach the leaves. Two years ago when we had similar conditions we shredded to about 4" and then waited 2-3 weeks to let the weeds recover and leaf out. The poison then reached the desired plant and 90% of the broom weed was knocked out. Even with last years drought it was easy to see where we miss with the sprayer the year before as the broom weed was the only thing left that the cows didn't eat.

1982vett":6zzmbtwz said:
Ruark":6zzmbtwz said:
The label directions are written the way they are for a reason....The product is absorbed by the leaves and takes time to work. Any deviation will work against your expectations of a successful outcome.

I'm familiar with the label, but there's nothing in there about the subject of how long to wait after spraying before cutting. By the way, there is no livestock on the property right now, so consumption isn't an issue. I just need to get this cut down ASAP, but I need to kill it first.

Ruark":2on4wkze said:
1982vett":2on4wkze said:
Ruark":2on4wkze said:

I'm familiar with the label, but there's nothing in there about the subject of how long to wait after spraying before cutting. By the way, there is no livestock on the property right now, so consumption isn't an issue. I just need to get this cut down ASAP, but I need to kill it first.

Sure it does...says not to hay for 30 days....

bird dog":317ou218 said:
If your rye grass is covering the plant, most of your herbicide will not reach the leaves. Two years ago when we had similar conditions we shredded to about 4" and then waited 2-3 weeks to let the weeds recover and leaf out. The poison then reached the desired plant and 90% of the broom weed was knocked out. Even with last years drought it was easy to see where we miss with the sprayer the year before as the broom weed was the only thing left that the cows didn't eat.

I agree with you bird dog

It is generally much easier to kill a fast growing smaller plant than a large and more mature one. The fresh young leaves will take up the chemical much easier :)

1wlimo":3of3ydug said:
bird dog":3of3ydug said:

I agree with you bird dog

It is generally much easier to kill a fast growing smaller plant than a large and more mature one. The fresh young leaves will take up the chemical much easier :)
And there are some newly sprouted weeds that do not respond to herbicide until they develop a few mature leaves.

novatech":2v6uwl03 said:
And there are some newly sprouted weeds that do not respond to herbicide until they develop a few mature leaves.

yep some are tough when they are at cotyledon stage, or not yet green

So, what is the downside to bailing too early after spraying liquid fertilizer/weed killer?

I sprayed my Bermuda field on May 15th. I am planning on baling on June 9th/10th...

What would I be giving up by baling a week or so early?

OklaBrangusBreeder":2q0l9tti said:
So, what is the downside to bailing too early after spraying liquid fertilizer/weed killer?

I sprayed May 15th. I am planning on baling on June 9th/10th...

What would I be giving up by baling a week or so early?
There would be a good chance that the herbicide hadn;t completly gotten to the roots and would come back just as if it hadn;t been sprayed

OklaBrangusBreeder":7xs8y0ej said:
But as far as the hay being cut and baled, that would be fine? It would be the next cutting that MIGHT have some weed issues?
Correct, as long as you follow the manufacurers data on the wait time from spray to hay. I would assume that wait time is to make sure the stuff has lost any toxicity and not have to do with the kill time.

Latest posts