spraying vaughn's No 1 Bermuda Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Here I'd use Metcel. I'm not sure if it would get the crabgrass bc I've never had a problem with crabgrass. But it'll smoke most weeds.

Oust will kill the crabgrass but it's expensive.

1 pt/Ac of glyphosate sprayed after the first cutting (if it's hay) BEFORE the bermuda greens back up will kill the crabgrass.

I've been told that a qt/Ac of atrazine with a pt/Ac of crop oil in early spring at green up will also kill it but I've never tried this.

Last year was my first year Bigfoot. But I will try.

It's metsulfuron. I had been using Surmount, which works very well, but was too expensive. So I done some asking around and came upon Metcel. It kills bahia and most any broadleaf weed and lots of brushy species also. Google Metcel and you can pull up the full label bc it's got such broad control and numerous application rates. You can tank mix with 24D but here we have too much cotton to use 24D because it's so volatile. I was targeting dogfennel on a new pasture I rented and bahia in my bermuda hayfields. Good PH usually helps greatly with both of these.

Bigfoot":30u6ossx said:
Thanks. Googled it, I think it is the same thing as cimmaron.

It's pretty close but it seems to work a little better than cimarron for me, but I can't really back this up bc I have limited experience with it. Worth noting though is that it's about 1/2 the price per acre. That dang Surmount is really good, but it's high.

JMJ Farms":36zcsizn said:
Bigfoot":36zcsizn said:
Thanks. Googled it, I think it is the same thing as cimmaron.

It's pretty close but it seems to work a little better than cimarron for me, but I can't really back this up bc I have limited experience with it. Worth noting though is that it's about 1/2 the price per acre. That dang Surmount is really good, but it's high.

Yeah, I find Metcel has been working a bit better than Cimarron too.

Latest posts