spraying this late in the year

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
we are actually getting some good growth from Bermuda and weeds. I usually spray and knock the weeds out first thing in the grass growing season. I was wondering if there is a down side to spraying now to kill the weeds while trying to utilize the grass that I still have. I know the 2-4d won;t kill the grass but it does seem to slow it up a little and I only have about a month at best before we are looking at a slow down in growth with lower temps.

plbcattle":3gdo6eav said:
we are actually getting some good growth from Bermuda and weeds. I usually spray and knock the weeds out first thing in the grass growing season. I was wondering if there is a down side to spraying now to kill the weeds while trying to utilize the grass that I still have. I know the 2-4d won;t kill the grass but it does seem to slow it up a little and I only have about a month at best before we are looking at a slow down in growth with lower temps.

I was worried about the same set of circumstances but have decided to spray some redroot pigweed this week.

Seems like drought years really bring on the weeds and add that much more competition to grass.

Spraying this late in the year can do a little good but generally not much. Most of the plants have already started developing seed and killing it now won;t do anything. I sprayed bull nettle a couple of days ago and all it accomplished was to kill the flowers and hopefully the plant, bit the seeds that had already got started have continued to develop.
I've gone to just brushhogging, if any new growth starts I may spray but now it seems an excercise in futility.

dun

plbcattle":1edixd6m said:

I was wondering about the same thing. Thanks for posting this.

MikeC":37cydvpe said:
plbcattle":37cydvpe said:

I was worried about the same set of circumstances but have decided to spray some redroot pigweed this week.

Seems like drought years really bring on the weeds and add that much more competition to grass.

Mike that pig weed is going to be hard to kill this time of year and with all the seed on it it will be back in the spring. Depending on your clover bloom you may want to add some Tardon. Or just use Grazon whitch is 2-4D and Tardon.

I need to spray some May Pop on the hay field but I think I will let it go untill next year. 2-4D will stunt the grass and I will lose two weeks grouth. No more spraying for me this year except armyworms. And I plan to spray for them with the hay cutter where I have enough to cut.

Chris - you are correct. And depending upon the weed, you may kill it, but not stop it from seeding.

dun - i found out early this year that bull nettle develops tubers which store the nutrients for the plant, which is why they are so hard to kill. I have to agree with you - shred it now, spray in the spring.

biggest question is what weed are you trying to get rid of?
Blackberries yes
horsenettle as long as they haven't produced seed yes.
Dogfennel, probably too tall and won't get control. Dogfennel is one that is fairly susceptable to cutting. go in and bush hog it down about 3 weeks prior to frost. Doing this will make it use up a lot of its energy reserves in the root system to make a seed head then hopefully the frost will kill it before a seed head is made. This will weaken the plant a lot then spray earlier next year.

It is recommended to spray in the spring or fall because this is when plants are actively growing. However if the plant has reached it's maturity then most of the growing has ceased. Spraying will probably kill any weed that is still small and growing down low to the ground but if it's already full size and seeded out your probably wasting your time and money till spring.

I also have been considering spraying this fall. Would it make any difference that the field has been mowed a couple times this year?
Thinking that the weeds would be less mature.

tom4018":3cidll57 said:
I also have been considering spraying this fall. Would it make any difference that the field has been mowed a couple times this year?
Thinking that the weeds would be less mature.

While thr maturity has a lot to do with it, it depends on how well the weeds are actaully gorwing. Depending on the area, even your late summer weeds may be slowing down but your fall type weeds may be just getting started. It would get those fall weeds well but not do as thorogh a job on the others

dun

Latest posts