Spraying stem maggots

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know about "best" results since you have to constantly spray for them bi-weekly but best bang for your buck we are having good results with LamdaCy. Does a good job and doesn't cost but $0.88/acre. We are also seeing rust in some bermudas so its best to check to be sure its not rust. Or you could have both. The rust looks a lot like the maggots but it requires a fungicide.

I know some people who are spraying fungicides but I don't think that is practical nor do I think it helps. We have a lot of rust and maggots this year. From what I understand if you begin getting rust you should burn your fields in the early spring to reduce the spore count. Also, fields low in potassium tend to have more rust than fields with adequate potassium and if your soil test is telling you your potassium level is good then take a leaf sample to be sure the plant itself has enough in it because it may require more. (reason being some secondary thing may be tying up the K) Other than these two things I think the only other option is replacing your grass with a hybrid that is more resistant but I'd do this first but I don't think I'd spray fungicides because they are expensive and its doubtful if they will actually work.