Spraying Pasture This Late

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
Is it to late to spray pasture this fall?
We have about 15 acres that just got fenced and have a lot of weeds.( thistles ragweed and some cockleburs)
We will spray it next spring but I was wondering if it would pay to spray this fall.
Thanks for the help Jeff

That is what I was thinking but want to use it right away next year.
Thanks Jeff

Another thing to do is shred it this winter so when the weeds come up next spring, the spray will have a better chance of getting them wet.

littletom":b5k03a9h said:
Going to work on some cockleburs next week my self

Tom. Me too. Been hitting them hard since July. They go to seed in the fall so this is a good time.

Thanks for the info
I have been using the brush cutter on the places I can drive over.
I will also try and cut off some with a hand trimmer this winter. Jeff

I just asked the Noble Foundation guys in my area the same question as I have some nightshade coming up in some disturbed areas of pasture-they recommend wait till early Spring

I am about to mow all of our pastures. Get the warm season grass knocked back so the cools can come back out. And knock the weeds back that survived spraying earlier in the year.

At what point are we spraying too often? Is it normal practice to spray in spring AND summer? Fall? I'm beginning to think shredding is the healthy way to go if the weeds aren't just taking over.

I just cannot seem to get rid of the darned nettle. Remedy worked. But its like they knew to germinate another round in place of them. Seems it will be a never ending battle.

Depending on your location and budget I would spray them. Here, you can spray late and although they have already seeded you really help the grass. We have several months of growing left and it really helps get that grass established. Next year plan on spraying earlier and really do them in.

Thanks again
I had some milestone and 2-4D left from the old pasture and sprayed some of the spots. I couldn't brushhog. It really burned them back and maybe killed some brush also. We will see next spring. Jeff

I am relatively new to this, but my local co-op told me that I should spray in the fall and spring because some weeds begin their growth cycle in the fall. I really don't like the idea of using too much chemical, so I think that shredding is the best for me in the fall and then spray really well in the spring.

SST your thinking is correct. Remember they are selling a product. Every label I have ever read says the target plant must be healthy and growing to obtain best results. I can't see where you will have this in the fall.

Nothing wrong with only spraying once a year, but undrestand it won't help with things like ragweed, knapweed, and a lot of other weeds I can't identify. Around here at least, they don't show up until August.

M.Magis":1x2rdame said:
Nothing wrong with only spraying once a year, but undrestand it won't help with things like ragweed, knapweed, and a lot of other weeds I can't identify. Around here at least, they don't show up until August.

Here too. I've been mowing with a rotary type mower in September the last few years. Getting the warm seasons knocked back and weeds too. Seems to help. Not as good as spraying. But i feel its better for the soil. IMO.

Thanks for the info.
I have learned why some of the weeds I have been trying to get rid of don't start growing until long after I have sprayed. Jeff

bird dog":bgnstupe said:
SST your thinking is correct. Remember they are selling a product. Every label I have ever read says the target plant must be healthy and growing to obtain best results. I can't see where you will have this in the fall.
I agree that the local co-op is selling a product. However, there are weeds that germinate in the fall. You normally can get by with spraying 24D to stop the germination. I would advise to discuss with your local extension agent and get his opinion. Each area is different and if you have an area that hasn't been kept up (like we just took over) then you may want to consider spraying to help reduce the weeds come spring. Remember, weeds take away water and nutrients from the grass you're growing and if not controlled can reduce the hay quality and quantity.

Latest posts