Spraying Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1zt1aypl said:
Sunfish":1zt1aypl said:
I've never worried too much about what others think. If I choose to keep my place neat and clean or let part of it grow up for wildlife it's my idea. Worrying about what other people think has never entered my mind.
Worrying about what people think or judging and comparing yourself to others is a she-man and female trait
Don't tell me.....you're cowgirl8's twin. :lol2: :lol2:

Did I insult you ? :lol: :lol:

LRTX1":2qo034mq said:
stocky":2qo034mq said:
I would be alot less worried about the spray damaging the wire than I would be the spray damaging the runways and cover and feed for the quail, rabbits, and other wildlife that use grown up fencerows to survive and thrive. Just teasing, however, I am in the group that loves hairy fence rows for the wildlife benefit and see a clean fence row as detrimental to the wildlife I value seeing. I like for my fencerows to be grown up in trees and bushes so that no one can see into the pasture from the road. I am sure alot of you would make fun of my fencerows that have 2 purposes, stop cattle, and provide for wildlife, however, I make fun of those that are bare ground. So, we are even.

What did the wildlife do before fences were invented?

They lived in the brush and native grasses where all those fields are now. Stocky is correct fencerow spraying costs us a lot of wildlife cover. With all the CRP being plowed under they need all the help they can get.

If messy fencerows bother you then spray or cut them but you cannot do that and claim the moral highground at the same time.

Lol I can't take messy fence lines they tear my nerves up. I like neat clean appearance. I'm an azz about pasture weeds fence lines.

3waycross":13qqbhp3 said:
LRTX1":13qqbhp3 said:
stocky":13qqbhp3 said:
I would be alot less worried about the spray damaging the wire than I would be the spray damaging the runways and cover and feed for the quail, rabbits, and other wildlife that use grown up fencerows to survive and thrive. Just teasing, however, I am in the group that loves hairy fence rows for the wildlife benefit and see a clean fence row as detrimental to the wildlife I value seeing. I like for my fencerows to be grown up in trees and bushes so that no one can see into the pasture from the road. I am sure alot of you would make fun of my fencerows that have 2 purposes, stop cattle, and provide for wildlife, however, I make fun of those that are bare ground. So, we are even.

What did the wildlife do before fences were invented?

They lived in the brush and native grasses where all those fields are now. Stocky is correct fencerow spraying costs us a lot of wildlife cover. With all the CRP being plowed under they need all the help they can get.

If messy fencerows bother you then spray or cut them but you cannot do that and claim the moral highground at the same time.

Vic, what moral high ground do you think I am claiming here. I get that wildlife use the growed up fence row but in my mind it's the lack of brush and native grasses, as you said, that's more detrimental. Somebody putting up a brand new fence across an open pasture and keeping it sprayed has not taken any habitat away. It hasn't added any either. Be upset with the guy that cleared the land.

Layne I am not upset with anyone. Especially you. Just spouting off. I am a hard core bird hunter and most of the species I hunt have lost millions of acres of habitat this year.

I guess I took your whole post as directed to me. No problems, I get it. I was just making the point as there weren't always fences.

What does roundup do to kill the undesirable vegetation that brush control and other broadleaf herbicides don't? I think the truth is that it has more to do with other peoples opinion than saving a fence.
I also believe in leaving areas that go wild. Not only for the wildlife but also for the health of the cattle, I have spent a great deal of time over the years watching cattle graze as to what they eat. For instance I have a lot of burr clove that is known for bloating cattle but I have never had any bloat. I believe this is because after grazing the clover they will go to the brush and eat pecan leaves and various other types of vegetation. My theory is that they are getting tannin from them which relives bloat.
By the in my opinion clean fence lines are a fairly current trend that started over a hundred years after barbed wire was invented.
I personally believe that every land owner has the right to do as they please. A good friend has cattle. He decided to put up a new fence which the neighbor would not contribute to. My friend went ahead on his own. As soon as the dozer came in and had about 80% cleared the neighbor had a court order for him to stop. The neighbor filed suit because the wildlife was being hurt. It has been 3 years and has not come to court yet. That part of my friends property has been void of cattle during this process.
I think the world has gone nuts.

3waycross":3b2vzy1t said:
I am a hard core bird hunter and most of the species I hunt have lost millions of acres of habitat this year.

Please kill these birds here I can't take 10 steps in the woods without quail and snip scaring the crap out of me.

skyhightree1":19udif34 said:
3waycross":19udif34 said:
I am a hard core bird hunter and most of the species I hunt have lost millions of acres of habitat this year.

Please kill these birds here I can't take 10 steps in the woods without quail and snip scaring the crap out of me.

I will be right over :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :heart: :heart: :heart:

novatech":1x03khtn said:
What does roundup do to kill the undesirable vegetation that brush control and other broadleaf herbicides don't? I think the truth is that it has more to do with other peoples opinion than saving a fence.
I also believe in leaving areas that go wild. Not only for the wildlife but also for the health of the cattle, I have spent a great deal of time over the years watching cattle graze as to what they eat. For instance I have a lot of burr clove that is known for bloating cattle but I have never had any bloat. I believe this is because after grazing the clover they will go to the brush and eat pecan leaves and various other types of vegetation. My theory is that they are getting tannin from them which relives bloat.
By the in my opinion clean fence lines are a fairly current trend that started over a hundred years after barbed wire was invented.
I personally believe that every land owner has the right to do as they please. A good friend has cattle. He decided to put up a new fence which the neighbor would not contribute to. My friend went ahead on his own. As soon as the dozer came in and had about 80% cleared the neighbor had a court order for him to stop. The neighbor filed suit because the wildlife was being hurt. It has been 3 years and has not come to court yet. That part of my friends property has been void of cattle during this process.
I think the world has gone nuts.

Shoulda dug a bigger hole and put the neighbor in it. :mrgreen:

3waycross":1aca9hzo said:
skyhightree1":1aca9hzo said:
3waycross":1aca9hzo said:

I will be right over :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :heart: :heart: :heart:

8)

Looks like I stirred up quite a pot with my reply last night and just now got a chance to read the replies. Everyone has their opinion of what works best for them and how they like their fences and each landowner should be entitled to whatever they like, as long as it serves the purpose, because the landowner worked, sweated, and bled to try to pay for their land. Wildlife had plenty of natural runways and escape routes before field edges were cleaned out and water ditches were filled in and fields were cleaned and sprayed to keep out unwanted vegetation (which usually is what quail and other wildlife thrive on). Most all of our fences are 20-60 years old, I have never tried to add up how many miles there are, but I have never seen one of the fences harmed by brush growth. Sprouts make trees and they make great fence posts. Most of the fences have 20-30 foot width of brush and weeds and growth for wildlife. I love to quail hunt, turkey hunt, deer hunt, etc. So, I am constantly conscience of things that attract wildlife and help them to live and multiply. I have an Uncle who sprays under every fence, has a 2 feet dead area underneath and his farm is clean as a hounds tooth. He sure does not have to worry about me setting foot on him to bird hunt, however, he does have to come to my place to see wildlife or to hunt, himself. My thought on Nova's post about the guy cleaning the fence line and getting stopped; I believe others have posted that they build the fence 1 foot over on their property so the fence belongs to them. I am sure that guy could have had the dozer stay on his side of the line and built the fence however he wanted to on his side and it would have been his fence. I am thinking that dozer was crossing the property line and destroying wildlife habitat that took years to establish and was on the other guy's property. When the county cuts with the vertical brush hog along my county road fencelines, I demand that they cut up from the fence line and do not get on top of the fence or reach over the fence. When driving the road, you will see a line of cedars and other trees extending straight up from the fence, sometimes 30 feet tall, and you can usually not see into my pasture. It is almost like driving between two walls, LOL. Those trees are so thick, you do not have to worry about any fence getting torn up, even a car couldn't drive through those trees. I also do not have cattle shot by people who are spotlighting.
When I was a kid, we had a relative who had 2 sections of great farm land in Springfield, Mo. My Father and Grandfather and I farmed that land on the shares. We went every day all summer and raised corn and alfalfa, orchard grass, and clover on the whole thing. The owner was a wildlife lover. The fields were cut into 20's and 40's and every fenceline was at least 20 feet wide with osage orange trees, mulitflora rose, and weeds. Asparagus grew wild in the fence rows. There were more quail and rabbits than you could imagine. Where that farm was is now a big Mall, several shopping centers, hundreds of houses, a car dealership, etc. Not one brushy fence row to bother people's vision. Also, not a wild animal, anywhere. They sure cleaned that place up, didn't they? Didn't mean to stir things up too much, and I hope we never lose the right to have our fences how we want to have them. Just wanted to throw in my brushy habits.

Sunfish":36zbxsj7 said:
TexasBred":36zbxsj7 said:
Sunfish":36zbxsj7 said:
I've never worried too much about what others think. If I choose to keep my place neat and clean or let part of it grow up for wildlife it's my idea. Worrying about what other people think has never entered my mind.
Worrying about what people think or judging and comparing yourself to others is a she-man and female trait

Did I insult you ? :lol: :lol:
Hardly....just showed me the junk behind the trashy fenceline.

TennesseeTuxedo":2lqq1gpj said:
Dang it! Now I feel guilty again. :(
Don't worry about it...they have wings...they can move to the next place that DOES have a grown up fence row.

Nobody mentions that every pasture is destruction of habitat for quail etc. They don't have a chance in the open fields. The good manager would leave brush areas in each field for breeding and sanctuary.

TexasBred":2vlkb65e said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2vlkb65e said:
Don't worry about it...they have wings...they can move to the next place that DOES have a grown up fence row.

Nobody mentions that every pasture is destruction of habitat for quail etc. They don't have a chance in the open fields. The good manager would leave brush areas in each field for breeding and sanctuary.
Unless you fence that sanctuary the cows will eventually eliminate it.

dun":1hyoz6ob said:
TexasBred":1hyoz6ob said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1hyoz6ob said:

Unless you fence that sanctuary the cows will eventually eliminate it.

If this is mostly about providing habitat for game birds then in our area I'm not sure it applies. We don't have pheasant, grouse, or even quail as far as I can tell. We do have lots of wild turkey and deer which seem to thrive in the deeply wooded tracts of timber we own.

TexasBred" [quote:8zgceb5w said:

Did I insult you ? :lol: :lol:[/quote]
Hardly....just showed me the junk behind the trashy fenceline.[/quote]

Now Richie like I told you in your pm I'm not showing you my junk :lol:

Latest posts