Spraying fence rows with Crosbow

Help Support CattleToday:

gwece

Reaction score
Is it a waste of time to spray Crossbow on fence rows and some small patches of blackberry this time of the year? Most just contain weeds and some light brush. Will be spraying with a 10 gallon atv (4 wheeler) sprayer. Will I get enough agitation with just movement of the atv? Do I need to use a surfactant?

Thanks!
gwece
Southern Illinois

Pretty much a waste of most herbicides to spray blackberries this time of year. The only thing I found effective for them other then when they're in bloom is Surmount. With anything else they just come right back. Most brush by now has a waxy protective coat on the leaves and you really do need a surfactant to get it to work. I would also use the strongest suggested rate of herbicide.

I use crossbow on blackberries here, as dun said a waste of time to do it now. The best time is coming up though, in the fall when the plant is drawing back nutrients and getting ready ready for winter. Dun's right on about the waxy coat, but you can buy a "additive" for crossbow that breaksdown the wax. I only used it once, can't recall the name, the farm coop should know. I would use it in the fall. Again as Dun said spring is a good time when the Plant has new growth and starting to bloom. I like the fall best with the wax cutter added, it will pull the crossbow into the roots.

Good luck and enjoy blackberries and ice cream while you can. :lol:

Thanks guys, I appreciate your replies! You just can't believe all the advertising on these chemical products!

gwece

reps here told us not to spray our berries till now or as soon as the plants had dropped the berries. says its better since the plants are taking to the roots instead of putting out such as in the spring.and we use surmount but but that is just for blackberries now

ragweed":2zdmo3j7 said:
reps here told us not to spray our berries till now or as soon as the plants had dropped the berries. says its better since the plants are taking to the roots instead of putting out such as in the spring.and we use surmount but but that is just for blackberries now
Surmount is a helluva product for blackberries. We use it anytime I feel like mixing a tank just for them. As long as they have leaves it seems to hammer them and they haven;t come back yet in any of the places I've sprayed them. But I've only been using it for 3 years so far. You just have to be careful under trees if you want to keep the trees.

$10 more a gallon. Sorry. I'm not a huge fan of crossbow for spot spraying. It used to be all I used.