Spraying Fence Line

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
Need to clear some brush from a fence line, would like to hear what you guys use to spray fence lines. I have a (good) fence on a property line that I need to clean up. Have a lot of privet and some blackberries. Need to know what my best choices are. Thanks in advance

goats at the yard might make it long enough to take them out.. probably be cheaper then spray.

In SC the recommendation is Remedy or a generic with a surfactant. Some add Grazon to get weeds. There are other formulas that can be bought. Just check to see what's legal in AL.

I use a 1-100 of remedy and a equal amount of tordon as my nucler mix for brush , cedar ,and prickley pear. you probabley can use grazon hl or even remedy and 24d =crossbow. its cheaper if you mix it yourself. if you don't have a permit you the remedy and 24d will be your only option. ive heard good things on chapperal, I believe it requires no permit.

Per 25 gallons water mix 1 quart remedy and 1 quart MSO or crop oil. Spray to wet all leaf surfaces. Wait a month and spray anything that's still green again.

I'll second the Remedy Grazon P+D mix (And surfactant of course). I have blackberry, plum thicket, and misc. crap....Sprayed it Saturday morning and virtually every leaf is withered now. Will spot spray again in a week or two.

We used a grazon and something else together for our fence line a few years back. We were battling elms and cedars though. Killed them all.

We just fixed our fence the other day and literally ripped out all those dead trees with our hands. The wind had taken half of them already. Still lots of work but it sure helped not needing the bobcat much.

callmefence":3mcksc80 said:
I use a 1-100 of remedy and a equal amount of tordon as my nucler mix for brush , cedar ,and prickley pear. you probabley can use grazon hl or even remedy and 24d =crossbow. its cheaper if you mix it yourself. if you don't have a permit you the remedy and 24d will be your only option. ive heard good things on chapperal, I believe it requires no permit.
I had pretty good luck with 1/3-1/3-1/3 mix Remedy/Sendero/water ..on cedar.
Turned sweetgum black but it all came back later.
You'd think something that was made to kill mesquite mixed with something else that kills mesquite would kill anything but it aint so.

TennesseeTuxedo":8v62j8xu said:
Lemon Freshened Joy makes an excellent surfactant as well.

You sure of what you say here? The reason I ask is I killed all my Bass of any size in my pond last year and in reading up on it the author of the article stated that it was probably the surfactant that did it, not the herbicide itself, nor oxygen depletion. Surfactant was TSC standard inexpensive product used as directed.

If you have a dish soap that mommy can put her ungloved hands into and it works as you said, sounds like it will work for me...worth a try. I read some labels of dish soaps and they indicate a surfactant in the contents, don't say what it is.

On the fish, whatever it is, keeps their gills from absorbing oxygen from the water and they just suffocate.....was what mine were doing....just floating around, moving a fin or two, and slowly dying.
---------------
To keep this on topic I started with Glyphosate and it worked ok then a year or so later, I added 2-4-D to the mix, then a year or so later, a surfactant and I now get good coverage with unregulated chemicals for one annual spraying.....no brush included. However, I have killed brush deliberately by soaking the leaves when in the growth mode. Grazon P+D is a product I bought when I had my sprayer's permit and the P (Pectilorin or something like that as I recall) is what whacked the brush while the D (2-4-D of some sort I assume...don't remember what was in the contents label) got the weeds.

greybeard":1o5ly7km said:
callmefence":1o5ly7km said:
I had pretty good luck with 1/3-1/3-1/3 mix Remedy/Sendero/water ..on cedar.
Turned sweetgum black but it all came back later.
You'd think something that was made to kill mesquite mixed with something else that kills mesquite would kill anything but it aint so.

Dam Greybeard...that outta kill cancer, or maybe cause it idk. Lol, I come up with about 85.oo dollars a gallon for that cocktail.
I have noticed sendero will smoke small cedars.

Texasmark":1mqvm5ie said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1mqvm5ie said:
Lemon Freshened Joy makes an excellent surfactant as well.

You sure of what you say here? The reason I ask is I killed all my Bass of any size in my pond last year and in reading up on it the author of the article stated that it was probably the surfactant that did it, not the herbicide itself, nor oxygen depletion. Surfactant was TSC standard inexpensive product used as directed.

If you have a dish soap that mommy can put her ungloved hands into and it works as you said, sounds like it will work for me...worth a try. I read some labels of dish soaps and they indicate a surfactant in the contents, don't say what it is.

On the fish, whatever it is, keeps their gills from absorbing oxygen from the water and they just suffocate.....was what mine were doing....just floating around, moving a fin or two, and slowly dying.
---------------
To keep this on topic I started with Glyphosate and it worked ok then a year or so later, I added 2-4-D to the mix, then a year or so later, a surfactant and I now get good coverage with unregulated chemicals for one annual spraying.....no brush included. However, I have killed brush deliberately by soaking the leaves when in the growth mode. Grazon P+D is a product I bought when I had my sprayer's permit and the P (Pectilorin or something like that as I recall) is what whacked the brush while the D (2-4-D of some sort I assume...don't remember what was in the contents label) got the weeds.

Sometimes I use Dawn.

Texasmark":20c0h04t said:
---------------
Picloram?

It's the active ingredient in Tordon22k .
I wish I could use it but can't...too much water here.

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
 Do not apply to any water bodies or in areas where the runoff from treated areas will reach fishbearing
waters

Bright Raven":2p6ld9m8 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2p6ld9m8 said:
Almost everything that works will eat your fence.

Luke. Explain that. I dang sure don't want to damage my fence.
Round up or generics are acidic. If you want it to kill smilax (greenbrier) (or think you can permanently kill privet) you add ammonium sulfate and up the RU%. It will eat the paint off of the tractor and equipment, kill the greenbrier "graveyard dead" and eat galvanizing and paint off of wire, posts, whatever. So, if you want/need to use it, spray below first wire. I never found the Remedy and Grazon to be harmful in that way.

Ebenezer":3qwumcnr said:
Bright Raven":3qwumcnr said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3qwumcnr said:
Almost everything that works will eat your fence.

Round up or generics are acidic. If you want it to kill smilax (greenbrier) (or think you can permanently kill privet) you add ammonium sulfate and up the RU%. It will eat the paint off of the tractor and equipment, kill the greenbrier "graveyard dead" and eat galvanizing and paint off of wire, posts, whatever. So, if you want/need to use it, spray below first wire. I never found the Remedy and Grazon to be harmful in that way.

Thanks. With most of my woven wire fence - there is no below bottom wire. It is 2 inches above ground level.

Bright Raven":37c6r3m2 said:
Ebenezer":37c6r3m2 said:
Bright Raven":37c6r3m2 said:

Thanks. With most of my woven wire fence - there is no below bottom wire. It is 2 inches above ground level.

To spot spray brush, use a piece of cardboard for a backstop. Beer boxes work great. ;-)

Latest posts