Spraying Costs

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
Guys, need a little direction.

I have just a small hobby commercial herd, about 20 cows.

I run them on about 50 acres in Arkansas. I didn't let go of the money this year to spray for thistle and weeds. needless to say, my pasture is pretty overgrown with the bad stuff this year. No big deal, as i don't cut it, and they have more than enough to eat. My winter hay comes from another place.

Nevertheless i want to get it under control next spring.

Can you guys give me an idea of what it would cost oper acre to spray it. Would one spraying take care of it each year? I'll hire it done, so could you split out the cost into chemicals and labor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

It all depends on what types of weeds you have. If it is thistles and other broadleaf weeds, an application of 2, 4-D will take care of that. I spray my pastures with that right after spring green up, and I don't have many thistles to speak of. However, if you have clover, or other desirable legumes in your pasture, the 2, 4-D will kill it as well. It will also kill cotton, soybeans, grapes, etc, so you have to be careful when and where you apply it.

How much does the 2, 4d cost per acre of coverage. also, I have some clover, so what would you use to only attack the thistle and other undesierable weeds.

RazorbackRed":37uwnd1s said:
How much does the 2, 4d cost per acre of coverage. also, I have some clover, so what would you use to only attack the thistle and other undesierable weeds.

2, 4-D at the local grain company is between $18-$19 per gallon. Without looking, I think the application rate is 8oz/acre, which ends up costing just over $1/acre for the chemical.

I don't know of any chemical that will kill thistles and not kill your clover. Someone else may have a better recommendation. If the thistles aren't too bad, you can simply cut them out, and after a few years there won't be very many. Easiest thing to do may be just to go ahead and spray to kill the thistles and weeds for a couple years. Once that is under control, you can replant your clover. Then you can simply spot spray any thistles or weeds that come in.

Latest posts