Spraying a fence row

Help Support CattleToday:

Propane/lp gas both scare me. Neighbor has a hose you stick in a groundhog hole, and put propane in it. Got a striker on the end. Makes short work of a groundhog problem. Rattles the ground something awful.

Bigfoot":3mirtwwi said:
Normally, I'd never spray a fence row. I will spray bushes and saw briers in a fence row, but nothing that would kill the grass. I've got a property line fence, that is really getting grown up. To the point, it's hard to get in it to work on it. I offered to have the fence pushed out, and re do it (my treat btw). Neighbor wasn't feeling it. Not sure why, but to each his own I guess. Ifi mix round up and 2 four D pretty heavy, and wet the whole thing it, will that the vines and briars? There's no species in it, that I find hard to kill. No multifloral rose, and no locust. I'd like to burn it, when it's had time to die. Maybe cut some of the crap out of it, and then keep it maintained like my other fences. Think that mix will do it?

Why are you mixing glycophosphate with 24d? If the roundup won't kill it then 24d wont. Dont they target different weeds? Well i should say one targets all plants and one broadleafs. Maybe need to mix it stronger.

May be no science to it, but this is my dads theory-------The rush of growth from the 2 four d, will transport the glyphosate though the vines, and briars thus killing it. He was also the one who told me, if I worked real hard I'd get ahead in life. That one fell short. The 2 four d and glyphosate may not work either.

Bigfoot":28nt3mjk said:
Propane/lp gas both scare me. Neighbor has a hose you stick in a groundhog hole, and put propane in it. Got a striker on the end. Makes short work of a groundhog problem. Rattles the ground something awful.
Me and the neighbor kid one time sprayed engine starter fluid down a woodchuck hole and that will RATTLE the ground and is LOUD and we where not supposed to do that we thought it would be more like gasoline and just be a little poof well we were wrong we ran out of there faster than lightning :lol: :lol:

Bigfoot":2yj259tn said:
May be no science to it, but this is my dads theory-------The rush of growth from the 2 four d, will transport the glyphosate though the vines, and briars thus killing it. He was also the one who told me, if I worked real hard I'd get ahead in life. That one fell short. The 2 four d and glyphosate may not work either.

Im pretty sure it will work. And I now understand why your doing it. Make sure you've got good foliage before you spray. I think m5 already mentioned that though

I've got a bulldozer coming for another little project. It's really not even big enough to justify coming. I'd love to just have him run down this fence row. It's been through 2 tornados, an ice storm, and Dutch elm disease. It's a hot mess. Completely overgrown. No real good way work on it. One of those things that just make ya mad even trying. I don't think he understands that I'll leave the biggest trees, and pile the "mess" on me to burn. Plan B, is bushhog as close as I can, kill what's left back to the ground, and hope some if not all will burn. Then chainsaw, and weed eater with a blade on it. It's only 1050 feet long. It'd be sweet to just knock it down, and push it off. Might could get it fenced back in one day if I really tried. He's in his late 90's, and and kids closed minded. He put his place in crp program where you let it just go back to nature. A rabbit couldn't cross it. Strange bird actually if you ask me. I'll keep him happy, and do it his way.

I spray many miles of fence every summer and I have had very good control with 2,4-D and glysophate (roundup) and atrazine mixed , it will kill most all grass and weeds and some woody species as well. I put 2.5 gallons of each in 200 gallons of water , which is 6 oz. per gallon of water, It will hold down regrowth well to. there are alot of weeds that round up will not kill, it is really a grass killer anyway, thus why I mix 24 D , and the atrazine for residual control .

dun":j7zlta8n said:
If there are vines and briers I use Remedy in a mix with Grazon. Doesn;t do anythign to the grass but hammers everything else.

If you don't want to kill your grass and really kill the briers then do what dun suggested right after the briers leave out. I don't understand why people think roundup is the cure all for everything. It's very ineffective on waxy leave plants but very effective on your grass that you don't want to kill.

Deepsouth":wcqn0pxk said:
dun":wcqn0pxk said:
If there are vines and briers I use Remedy in a mix with Grazon. Doesn;t do anythign to the grass but hammers everything else.

If you don't want to kill your grass and really kill the briers then do what dun suggested right after the briers leave out. I don't understand why people think roundup is the cure all for everything. It's very ineffective on waxy leave plants but very effective on your grass that you don't want to kill.
If you spray it on the bark of young dogwoods it will kill them too

Bigfoot":6awh2fxv said:
I've got a bulldozer coming for another little project. It's really not even big enough to justify coming. I'd love to just have him run down this fence row. It's been through 2 tornados, an ice storm, and Dutch elm disease. It's a hot mess. Completely overgrown. No real good way work on it. One of those things that just make ya mad even trying. I don't think he understands that I'll leave the biggest trees, and pile the "mess" on me to burn. Plan B, is bushhog as close as I can, kill what's left back to the ground, and hope some if not all will burn. Then chainsaw, and weed eater with a blade on it. It's only 1050 feet long. It'd be sweet to just knock it down, and push it off. Might could get it fenced back in one day if I really tried. He's in his late 90's, and and kids closed minded. He put his place in crp program where you let it just go back to nature. A rabbit couldn't cross it. Strange bird actually if you ask me. I'll keep him happy, and do it his way.

He may be worried that you'll get too far onto his crp.

Deepsouth":6awh2fxv said:
dun":6awh2fxv said:

I don't understand why people think roundup is the cure all for everything. It's very ineffective on waxy leave plants but very effective on your grass that you don't want to kill.

Because it does kill everything we have here. I normally use a product called KillzAll instead of Roundup.

On the Roundup label there is a mix rate for chemical mowing, it burns the grass down but does not kill it. I mix up a tank of Crossbow and add the chemical mowing rate of generic roundup on our fence lines, kills the weeds and brush but leave enough grass to prevent erosion. There is a farm a few miles from me that does there fences with something that kills everything and they have a ditch right down the fence row from the erosion.