Spraying 10% permethrin on cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
I'm new to cows and am looking for an easy way to control the face and back flies on my cattle. I was wondering if anyone has tried the 10% permethrin mixed in a sprayer? I was planning to spray my small herd while they were eating some feed one evening.

My cattle are very calm and I can easily get close enough to spray them. I plan to use something better when I move them to the other pasture field and have better handling facilities.

So what I'm getting at is will this work? According to the label it's a suitable application method.

Nesikep":24aw0y6j said:
Some of my cows HATE the spray.. I can usually get them if I have a wet sponge though.

Yeah there something about that sound even for normally tame cows. I think it reminds them of a snake.

What kind of oil do you add to it? The directions call for mineral oil if I remember correctly.

In my experience, a shot of UltraBoss lasts a LOT longer and works better than permethrin. Suck some up in a syringe (no needle) and squirt it along their back.

works fine. It might spook them at first. So you need them shut up in a small pen so you can finish.
Problem is rain washing it off. I use a rub now where premethrin is mixed with diesel. The have to go under it to get to the minerals.

I use Absorbine Ultrashield... it's what's available here, and works well.. I dilute it about 4:1 with water and it's effective for a long time.. we have very little rain around here though

M.Magis":18k805fb said:
In my experience, a shot of UltraBoss lasts a LOT longer and works better than permethrin. Suck some up in a syringe (no needle) and squirt it along their back.

That is what I do.

The permethrin mix I used last spring before switching to UltraBoss was a 1% synergized mix.

I plan to use ultraboss when I move them to the other pasture.

It just kills me to see those flys wearing them out so I'm going to do something.

What oil would you recommend me to add to the sprayer? And how much of it?

kentuckyguy":2gx8dajh said:

It just kills me to see those flys wearing them out so I'm going to do something.

Good for you. I cannot relax myself if I know my cows are miserable.

I have never used 10 % so I don't know what you dilute it with.

Bright Raven":25voilv4 said:
kentuckyguy":25voilv4 said:

Good for you. I cannot relax myself if I know my cows are miserable.

I have never used 10 % so I don't know what you dilute it with.

A new chemical compound- H 2 O

Seriously, the rubs work great with a mixture of diesel and 10 per cent.Mix according to label.Ultra Boss is good,too.

We've mixed permethrin with diesel and we've mixed it with mineral oil (in a pump sprayer). They don't like the diesel and are harder to hit with it, as the smell chases them off faster. But the flies hate it more as well, and it seems to last longer than mineral, so we end up using whatever's on hand.

I sprayed them with a water permethrin mix yesterday and all the flies were gone quickly. Now to see how long it lasts.

Latest posts