Sprayer

Help Support CattleToday:

Both have their place..
Boom gives better or more uniform coverage with less drift.
The tips can be changed to adjust spray quantity.
Because you get better coverage you spray less often and use less chemical, which saves money.
Less drift = less damage to you non-target species, less in your lungs, and less chance of a lawsuit from your neighbor.

That being said.. heres a nice little set up on an ATV with boomless:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRGum_m04ls

Your gonna get a lot of Different answers. I have used both. I own a boom 30' old row crop sprayer> it works extremely well as long as you can control to path and overlap- I have a homemade foam marker. Its a pain to go in and out of different pastures and if you have trees you have to go under it can limit where you spray. Boomless Is a breeze to get in and out of fields - Its harder for me to mark my thrus when making a round so I feel you can miss areas and over apply if your not carful
the one I tried had a coverage of about 20' so I had to make more passes to complete the field.

I have both. The boomless has been sitting since I got the boom. The boom give better coverage along with what was said above.

M5farm, Could you tell us how you built your marker?

Mine is not built exactly like this but after I got mine built I realized how it could have been simpler.

You will need a cheap dollar store 12 air pump, enough cheap water hose for the length of the boom. a container 5 gal that will be able to be pressurized. a valve stem and a Galvanized T that can be screwed in to the container . I used a plastic jug but as soon as I can find a old metal can (like bravo used to come in ) that has 2 bungs I will change it out.

Drill a hole on the low outside of the container for you to insert the valve stem. remove valve and use a piece if wire to feed it to the hole. Most of 12v air pumps have a locking chuck on it that will clamp on the valve stem. Air supply is done

screw a T into the small hole of the can and you will need to get a threaded hose bib to connect the hoses. zip tie them to the boom . a 20oz soda bottle taped to the end of the hose helps it drop clumps of foam.

you will have to add extra wire to the pump to it can be connected to the battery.

fill the can with water and get the Cheap CAR WASH soap 32oz(I think) and put about 1/2 of it in the can and screwin the big bung.
turn it on and the only place the foam can go if everything is seal is out the water hose.

mine drops clumps every 20-25ft I refill the water and add more soap about every 12 acres.

M5farm, Thanks for the info. Sounds a lot easier than I thought. I have several of the little compressors. I was going to use them but thought they would not put out enough volume.

It is fairly simple. If you didn't have the pressure you wanted you could add another valve stem and a compresser and get more volume.

For moving around under trees that I can;t have the booms up for transportaion I put them down and have them trail along behind the sprayer. Neighbor has a boomless that he was real proud of when he got it. Now 5 years later he borrows mine more then he uses his. I haven;t used the boom sprayer in a couple of years. Now it's just the UV one for spot spraying. But I sure put a lot of hours on the big sprayer the first 3-4 years we owned this farm.

Latest posts