Sprayer project

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms said:
bball said:
Any of you that built your own assembly, did you put in a tank agitator/mixer?

I have a line that comes off between the pump and the pressure gauge plumbed back to tank with a cutoff that I use to regulate the pressure. When the selector valve is closed it serves as an agitator. Also agitates some when spraying because I never need full flow to reach desired pressure setting. I can't remember exactly how it's plumbed but I think that's right. I will look tomorrow and correct if I'm wrong.

That is correct. The excess off the pump should agitate the tank.

Brute 23 said:
greybeard said:
When I want a lot of volume per acre, I use this TeeJet cluster nozzle:
https://www.shoupparts.com/501796-BoomJet-Nozzle

That is the one. My kill rate is very high with it and you can cover quite a bit more ground. There are better charts around on the enet for the GPA and speed.

Been digging around. With these high volume nozzles, am I going to need to get a pump that can handle more volume? I am currently running a Hypro 6500c roller pump that puts out 8gpm at 50 psi and 540 rpm. If i want to use the 20 model nozzle, i dont think my current pump will push the volume that nozzle needs. The 10 model might be ok?? You guys have any experience with that or are you running a higher output pump, etc?

JMJ Farms said:
bball said:
Any of you that built your own assembly, did you put in a tank agitator/mixer?

I have a line that comes off between the pump and the pressure gauge plumbed back to tank with a cutoff that I use to regulate the pressure. When the selector valve is closed it serves as an agitator. Also agitates some when spraying because I never need full flow to reach desired pressure setting. I can't remember exactly how it's plumbed but I think that's right. I will look tomorrow and correct if I'm wrong.

I appreciate it JMJ. Trying to decide if i need to plumb in a separate line after the pump to agitate the tank, or if i can just get away with using the relief from the the regulator to agitate the tank.

greybeard said:
I dunno......does Fimco make & sell Directovalves or replacement parts for them?......

Did some more research on this. The select o valves body are flow through. If the valve is opened, it sends flow to the nozzle and excess(or nozzle plug) still travels through the valve body to the regulator to be bypassed and maintain set pressure. Consequently, this is how the Fimco set up is able to put select o valves before the regulator. If the selct o valve is closed, it still allows flow through to the regulator to be bypassed. The only way this system could fail is if the relief line on regulator was plugged off.

Really appreciate the feedback Brute. Im going with the OC 10. Apparently, when Fimco sells a sprayer with that cluster nozzle, they pair it with the exact roller pump i currently have.

Technically, for one nozzle, i wouldnt need the O valve; however, i am going to use the relief from the regulator for agitation. This will permit me to shut off the nozzle and still agitate tank. Additionally, if i want to pipe in a spray wand later, or add a hamilton nozzle to alternate between, i can isolate each. Appreciate all the help from everyone. I believe i have the set up mapped out finally.

I'm running the same 8 roller pump as brute but the cast iron model. Running it @ 1000 rpm's to 2 Hamilton #10 nozzles at 25 psi. Takes roughly 28 minutes to put out 200 gal.

2q8bs03.jpg

https://www.sprayerdepot.com/products/xt043-hypro-boom-x-tender-spray-nozzle?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o13&scid=scplpXT043&sc_intid=XT043&gclid=CjwKCAjwstfkBRBoEiwADTmnEGrSJ2g_UQvvzQxvrIr19tlka10klgSiEB3anC_m7sBby9QxGmn5CBoCG1YQAvD_Bw
I use two of these at 45 psi and it's in the neighborhood of 25 - 28 gallons per acre at 5mph and covers 35'. I like these better than my 5880-3/4-2TOC40 Boomless Nozzle, there's way less drift.

bball said:
Brute 23 said:
Why do you need the O-valve? Will it operate more than one nozzle?

That nozzle does not cover much ground. Not sure how big an area you are covering but that will be slow going.

Was going with one nozzle but wanted to have the option of adding more if necessary.

The specs say it will cover almost 11 gallons per acre at 40 psi and 5 mph. 54' swath. I would certainly consider a better option that covers more ground per pass.

The Hamilton nozzle you selected will cover about 40' and is a great nozzle. The Teejet cluster nozzle will only cover 40' and is not near as good as the Hamilton. I have run both and the Hamilton is by far the better of the two. You can also get the Hamilton style nozzle from tractor supply.

bball said:
Really appreciate the feedback Brute. Im going with the OC 10. Apparently, when Fimco sells a sprayer with that cluster nozzle, they pair it with the exact roller pump i currently have.

Technically, for one nozzle, i wouldnt need the O valve; however, i am going to use the relief from the regulator for agitation. This will permit me to shut off the nozzle and still agitate tank. Additionally, if i want to pipe in a spray wand later, or add a hamilton nozzle to alternate between, i can isolate each. Appreciate all the help from everyone. I believe i have the set up mapped out finally.

Tee off your nozzle line with a valve and an agitation line so you can agitate while filling the tank or traveling to fields. The relief valves aren't made to have full pressure running thru them foe long periods of time. I have had several go bad from putting high pressure thru them for long periods.

IMO you won't need that much agitation. Filling agitates it some, then bouncing thru the pasture to get where your going, then as soon as you start spraying your are agitating. I wouldn't worry about purposely agitating with the valve closed.

put a 3way electric valve on after pump when on it goes to pump when off it agitates this is what I do with the john blues to not fool with the hydraulics or lever