Sprayer for fertilizing

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
My husband's boss wants to go in halves on a small sprayer for fertilizing our pastures. We haven't ever fertilized our pastures, we've had cows for just a couple of years, and have only 4 1/2 acres, we rotationally graze them. We did have a bunch of scotch broom in one of the pastures, and the grass is thinner there because of those stalks ( we just chopped it down) but also it's the drier area of our place.
Will it increase our grass yield enough to be worthwhile? We usually have to feed a short time in August when it's dry, maybe a week at the most, until the grass catches up, or it rains. And of course the winter :)

We're running 1 cow and calf, a small heifer, and some dairy goats.

Thanks!
Susie

How many ac. does the boss have. Sounds like it might be very one sided. as far as killing weeds. I believe that for every pound of weeds killed you gain 10 pounds of grass. This is one of thoes A&M things. Hope this helps.. Good Luck

In NE Texas, fertilizer is usually applied dry with a buggy borrowed from the vendor. The application rate is a lot different from herbicides.

In NE Texas, fertilizer is usually applied dry with a buggy borrowed from the vendor. The application rate is a lot different from herbicides.

Agree. And if your talking about spraying herbicides you'll need a license to buy most chemicals (at least in Texas). Hiring someone to spray will run $8-$15/ac plus chemicals if you can even get them to come out and spray such a small tract. I've been looking at used sprayers recently. Saw a 3 point mounted, 75 gallon one that needed the hoses replaced for $75. Saw as pull behind with a 200 gallon tank go at an auction last year for $50. Still kicking myself for not bidding on it.

Saw as pull behind with a 200 gallon tank go at an auction last year for $50. Still kicking myself for not bidding on it.

Don't ya hate that!!
Well, I am not worried about us getting taken advatage of :)
Hubby's boss has smaller acreage than we do... but we went shopping yesterday and checked prices, etc. Basically DH decided that we really wouldn't use on that much ( basically what I though too, but things are always a give and take), that money might be better off getting some good sprinklers so we can water a little in the heat of the summer.
We also have a nice 3 pt spreader our neighbor gave us that would be great for fertilizer anyway.

Thanks again,
Susie

Latest posts