Spray Or Graze It Hard? BSE Lesson

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez

Reaction score
Science and money - I am through listening to the big money boys and I am through spending it. BSE has turned me into a cheap skate - and it has had some benefits.

We have one 150 acre pasture that was over run with willow and some type of blue flowered weed. Local boys wanted a ton of money to come in and spray it off.

I turned the cows into it early when the weeds were tender and the willows just starting to leaf out. Kept the girls there for about a week longer than normal. They had to eat the stuff or go hungry. So being cows - they ate.

We then took them off long enough for the pasture to start to recover - and turned them in again for a period of time that forced them to eat everything.

Over the past two years we have continued this plan.

Today the willows are pretty much gone and the weeds have never had a chance to go to seed - so they too have disappeared.

We are now down to almost a straight grass - and yes - dandelion pasture. The cows love it and I have saved a fair dollar. Dandelions are probably my next target, but the cows eat them and seem to really like them - so I am in no hurry to push this one.

I listened to the scientists and the "special advisors" for years. Spent money that I should have saved. Now I could use that money.

The next target is another pasture that is overgrown with Golden Rod. I think I can turn that into a straight grass pasture in three years.

Funny thing is the cows seem to be doing as well now as when we were spending the big bucks. Pastures are better now than ever. I have come to the conclusion that I will continue to keep my money in my pocket and control the pastures my way from now on.

Bez

I never noticed the part about the Golden Rod on Agri-ville....must have read past it. You will be rid of the Golden Rod in 3 years. Pasture it hard and run over it with a harrow to spread out the patties and you could be rid of it in 2. Golden Rod hates high N and changes to it's soil composition in general....so it's not hard to be rid of.

Found the same thing on this place. When I bought it the pastures were overrun with thistle and broadleaf. Haven't done a thing but force the cattle to eat it down short. It looked great around February and March. I Made the mistake of opening up 2 adjoining pastures too early this year with our late rains, and some of the weed and thistle have started to make a little comeback in the big pasture. Still a major improvement without seeding or spraying a thing, and with the late rains the bermuda and clover look like they have started to really take off as well.

thats right the best way is to overgraze the weedy pastures for awhile mostly b/c rgey beat weeds an thorn bushes in the ground an it takes time shredding works to scott

Thats how I do it, I clear cut a section every winter and push or burn the brush piles. Ease over the block with an old grain drill and seed pearl millet and fescue in the spring. Turn the cows in it in the fall, second growth from the stumps aint got a chance. Most stumps are gone in 3 -5 years except for the white oak and cedar.

bez, glad to hear of your success, i crossed fenced a little more last year with better rotational grazing in mind and had just about come to the conclusion that the spraying was not worth it. i am going to try to force them to eat each pasture down more and bushhog if i have to for weed control.

its early, but my grass looks pretty good so far this year.

jt

Bez":10wdq99g said:
We are now down to almost a straight grass - and yes - dandelion pasture. The cows love it and I have saved a fair dollar. Dandelions are probably my next target, but the cows eat them and seem to really like them - so I am in no hurry to push this one.

Bez,

Our nutritionist told us that dandelions are 22% protein. That is when the flower is still yellow. Like you said, the cows like them.

So we don't fight dandelions anymore, just that damned fescue.

Bez":ond90zdm said:
Science and money - I am through listening to the big money boys and I am through spending it. BSE has turned me into a cheap skate - and it has had some benefits.

We have one 150 acre pasture that was over run with willow and some type of blue flowered weed. Local boys wanted a ton of money to come in and spray it off.

I turned the cows into it early when the weeds were tender and the willows just starting to leaf out. Kept the girls there for about a week longer than normal. They had to eat the stuff or go hungry. So being cows - they ate.

We then took them off long enough for the pasture to start to recover - and turned them in again for a period of time that forced them to eat everything.

Over the past two years we have continued this plan.

Today the willows are pretty much gone and the weeds have never had a chance to go to seed - so they too have disappeared.

I listened to the scientists and the "special advisors" for years. Spent money that I should have saved. Now I could use that money.

The next target is another pasture that is overgrown with Golden Rod. I think I can turn that into a straight grass pasture in three years.

Funny thing is the cows seem to be doing as well now as when we were spending the big bucks. Pastures are better now than ever. I have come to the conclusion that I will continue to keep my money in my pocket and control the pastures my way from now on.

Bez

When I was a boy and still lived in Switzerland I can remember well that all the farmers would then and when over grase the pastures as a means of wed control. And it always worked well.
I also remember that the farmers welcomed dandelions in their pastures as a high nutritional grass and wild clover.
I am sure the farmers in the old days, before the chemical revolution, knew exactly what they where doing, it seems they had better financial gains of their land and livestock back then too.
Sometimes I do feel that we all get to much bogged town with research, science and statistics and forget good old fashioned commensense.

Swiss Cowboy :cboy:

Sounds good to me.

But, I guess you'd have to be careful which weeds you are targeting. Cows will spread mesquite, prickly pear, and horsenettle.

But, then again, I haven't thought about overgrazing a section at a time. Makes "cents" to me.

Latest posts