Spray or bush hog

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
I have part of a farm that is getting over run with cockaburrs. I have been wanting to spray them all summer but every day it's not raining here I've been at work or baleing hay. My question is do I go ahead and spray now or just mow them down and try and spray them next year

I would spray them. You only need a couple of hours for most herbicides to become rainfast.

Has anyone ever had any luck with the boomless sprayers. I bought one of the nice EXPENSIVE ones last year, bought a new roller pump at the same time and we haven't been impressed with the pattern it puts out more like large droplets rather than a mist.

[youtube][/youtube]
Ky cowboy":1h1dqkfz said:
Has anyone ever had any luck with the boomless sprayers. I bought one of the nice EXPENSIVE ones last year, bought a new roller pump at the same time and we haven't been impressed with the pattern it puts out more like large droplets rather than a mist.

What nozzle are you using?

Cockleburs are bad this year. My neighbor works long hours in town and rarely gets time to mow or spray. His pasture is solid cockleburs in some areas.

Bigfoot":1wad9qi9 said:
[youtube][/youtube]
Ky cowboy":1wad9qi9 said:

I have the tee jet nozzle it got 5 different tips off of one fitting

Bigfoot":wrgnybva said:
[youtube][/youtube]
Ky cowboy":wrgnybva said:

I have the tee jet nozzle it got 5 different tips off of one fitting

How old are the nozzles. They do wear and aren;t the same size after a lot of spraying as they started out.

dun":39glbl32 said:
How old are the nozzles. They do wear and aren;t the same size after a lot of spraying as they started out.

They're only a year old and haven't been used much, dad and my granddad decide to go back to an old boom sprayer we pulled out of the weeds. They think that a fog is better than the droplets that the boomless one puts out. We only used the boomless once or twice, probably over 100 acres and we didn't get a good kill on what it was pulled over so they think it has to be the equipment.

Ky cowboy":1h2i5seo said:
dun":1h2i5seo said:

They're only a year old and haven't been used much, dad and my granddad decide to go back to an old boom sprayer we pulled out of the weeds. They think that a fog is better than the droplets that the boomless one puts out. We only used the boomless once or twice, probably over 100 acres and we didn't get a good kill on what it was pulled over so they think it has to be the equipment.
When you calibrated your sprayer, how many gallons per acre were you putting out? You need to be putting out close to 20 gallons per acre of your mix to get good control.

You might consider yourself fortunate to have the large droplet size nozzles. They are considered "drift resistant" meaning the droplets are big enough that the wind won't blow them into your neighbors property.

Ky cowboy":3bg2m6hz said:

All I use is boom less you have to really pay attention your operating at the proper pressure for the nozzle.
This is the one I use.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... t-spraying

Ky cowboy":1ha87tf2 said:
When you are throwing spray 15 to 20 feet from a single nozzle you need droplets rather than mist. Also need to allow about 20 gallons of water per acre. You can get by with less but with boomless, volume is pretty much the key.

I rigged up two #10 Hamilton nozzles spaced about 23 feet apart on a homemade boom. I ran a 10 year old 8 roller cast iron pump from Tractor Supply @ 1000 rpm. 20 lbs of line pressure and got a spray pattern over 60 feet wide. A little more overlap than expected but I tend to overlap anyway so i used that to my advantage and plan on about a 45 ft swath. Takes about 28 minutes to put out a 200 gallon load and covers around 10 acres.

greybeard":l67qag03 said:
Add me to the tee jet/boom jet bunch. I like it!!

Does the wind affect it very much? It's seldom still here, so I've been using a flat nozzle with droplets.

Only a strong wind, and I shouldn't be spraying then anyway, but this year has been a struggle due to all the rain early in the spring--had to spray when I could, not when I should have. Droplet size is rather large on the two nozzles that spray the fartherest, but they do break down in a strong wind.
I have all the nozzles and fittings to make a long folding boom and try it--just never have gotten around to it.

Ky cowboy":dwzlvxxv said:

That's what I use most of the time. I'd say they're flexible enough but not efficient for big jobs. I probably put out 2x the spray I'm supposed to.

Started bush hogging the fields today. They were already 2-3 feet tall. Anybody think they'll come up enough to spray before frost or are the done after mowing them down

One writer wrote: "...You need to be putting out close to 20 gallons per acre of your mix to get good control."

That may be difficult to estimate accurately unless you do a little arithmetic or maybe use somebody's chart.

Example: Using a 20' boom at 3 mph it will take 8.25 minutes to cover 1 acre. So, if you want to put out 20 gal of material on that 1 acre, the rate of spray would only be 2.42 gpm. Divide 2.42 by the quantity of nozzles on the boom and you get the gpm for each nozzle. That puts things in a different perspective.