spray only?

Help Support CattleToday:

I spray only, takes me too much time to rotary mow everything. Plus I try to graze and stockpile and not have to mow forage down. Works some of the time.

dun":21dmi4a9 said:
Frequently
Does it seem to be more effective at controlling weeds? I have been wanting to try it but I am concerned about killing my clover that is mixed with the fescue.

denoginnizer":2dfslr01 said:
dun":2dfslr01 said:
Frequently
Does it seem to be more effective at controlling weeds? I have been wanting to try it but I am concerned about killing my clover that is mixed with the fescue.

As long as the weeds are actively growing it works fine. With the clover you have to decide which you prefer, letting the weeds grow or killing the clover and having to reseed it in 6 months or so.

denoginnizer":3boxugpn said:
dun":3boxugpn said:
Frequently
I spray my hayfields and pasture with 2-4D and it Doesn't kill the clover and it gets most of the weeds if I have a pasture that has heavy weeds in it that the 2-4D isn't getting then I change and use a different spray and if I need to I will reseed my clover

Arkieman":1k7rp27d said:
What % 2,4,d do you use and what rate? My main 2 weeds are croton and goldenrod.

Thanks
Per lable, pint to the acre should easly take care of it. Remember, many other types of weeds may take a quart or more to do the job.

The primary reason I went to Grazon is that it isn;t as volitile as either of the straight 2,4-ds

How long does grazon control the weeds? I know it depends on several factors but do you get signifacant reduction for a couple of years ? How much is it costing to spray per acre?

Arkieman":17pbluxo said:
Vett, what % of volume is 24d?

Dun, explain volatile - do you mean explosive?

No, doesn;t vaporize as much so it doesn;t spread and drift as bad as straight 2,4-d.

denoginnizer":2fgqupco said:
How long does grazon control the weeds? I know it depends on several factors but do you get signifacant reduction for a couple of years ? How much is it costing to spray per acre?

The control is the tricky part. It will usually be effective for about 3 months or so, but some seed types seem to be sensitive to it's residual for a year or more.

Arkieman":2ej3q4sf said:
Vett, what % of volume is 24d?

Dun, explain volitile - do you mean explosive?

Product: WEEDestroy AM-40............Active ingredient: 2, 4-D ..........47.3%

This is something I'm considering as well.

What month do you typically spray?

What kind of equipment do you use to do the spraying?

Depends on the weed I am targeting.
Mostly spray after the clover has seeded till it gets to hot and dry. I use a Hamilton nozzle.
tr_agLPHamN.jpg

I have had good results with 2,4-D alone. Grazon is restricted use around here and costs more although I have used it in the past and it does a little better job. Grazon has some residual component and sowing clover the same year can be futile. It will kill the new clover when it sprouts. I use a 3 pt sprayer with a boomless cluster nozzle and foam marker if needed in short growth.

If I get the grazon out at the right time (when the weeds are small), and get a good kill, I don't bushhog. This year, I was late and the weeds were too big to get a good kill. So, I did cut the pastures. Figured it would be good for the grass to be able to get some sun----just in case it should rain someday.

Latest posts