Spray lime

Help Support CattleToday:

I think calcium leaches out of soil easier than magnesium. What I know is that I was told repeatedly that my farm did not need lime, but grain and forage yields both significantly increased when I applied calcium carbonate. I had two spots that grew foxtail every year, no matter what I planted. Eventually I discovered those two spots were the highest spots on the farm in magnesium.
I'm getting confused.....I thought limestone was calcium carbonate with just a small amount of magnesium unless you were using dolomite lime which is hi magnesium.

Possibly.
Why feed hi mag year round?
Lots of people do. i have spoken to 2 different mineral reps that feed hi mag year round to their cattle. But i may rethink it.

Gallatin Tn. I know that doesn't tell ya what you need to know, but thats all the details I really know. The opinions and literature etc. on all of it is so confusing, I'm just gonna throw some money at it and find out for myself.
I'd suggest test plot strips. Then you will know if it works for you. Skip an area. Double up in others.

Each quarry are required to have a test. The buffering is rated based on 100. Lots of difference there also. From 75 up to 110.
Most will tell you it's the buffering of the Ph that is important, that's what I was taught years ago. What I discovered on this farm was that I had a calcium deficiency not related to Ph, and that was missed by my local fertilizer salesmen/agronomists many times on soil tests. For nearly twenty years I lost faith in all soil tests and anyone who called himself an agronomist. Best advise I can give is to experiment yourself, don't take anyone's word at face value. The last year growing crops here, on the seven acres I experimented on, corn ran 240 bu. The rest of the field ran 130. Probably wouldn't believe it had I not seen it with my own eyes. Only difference was an application of calcium enriched, composted manure. I wanted to take out a front page ad in every newspaper in the country and tell that story but I'm just a poor, lonely nut out standing in my field, 99% of the people I tell today don't believe me. So don't believe me, but do experiment. There is a world of information available at our fingertips today, research William Albrecht from the Department of Soils at the University of Missouri. Or you can take the advise given by my local extension agent that the soils in eastern Seneca County do not respond to standard recommendations. Until that moment, I thought our university extension system was on my side. Boy, was I naive.

It's all about pounds of lime.
Sorry that's just chemistry 101,
You would need a ton of Ag lime per acre here.
Nothing to be sorry about, your correct. The traditional spreading of lime, is not for me. If somebody locally had a spreader truck, I'd be all in. It's brought on an 18 wheeler, dumped, loaded on a Terri gator with a wheel loader. You can't get that in off the road in my place. Even if it got in, it can't get around. This is some rough, wooded, hilly country (but it's home).

I've considered buying a spreader truck for custom application. We need one here.

Nothing to be sorry about, your correct. The traditional spreading of lime, is not for me. If somebody locally had a spreader truck, I'd be all in. It's brought on an 18 wheeler, dumped, loaded on a Terri gator with a wheel loader. You can't get that in off the road in my place. Even if it got in, it can't get around. This is some rough, wooded, hilly country (but it's home).

I've considered buying a spreader truck for custom application. We need one here.
Have you looked at a Sides spreader? If you can get a sprayer over your land, you can spread with a Sides. This won't solve getting it in though. Does no one around there have a quad axle dump? They can haul just as much as a dump trailer and get into some pretty tight spots with a GOOD driver.

Don't know whats in your part of the state, but here the local NRCS has a lime buggy you can rent for about $50/day and then you can get your lime dumped by a tri axle dump truck just like a load of rock......then you spread it yourself.
Another option is most fertilize places have pelleted lime....its a bit pricey but pobably no more than the spray lime.

Don't know whats in your part of the state, but here the local NRCS has a lime buggy you can rent for about $50/day and then you can get your lime dumped by a tri axle dump truck just like a load of rock......then you spread it yourself.
Another option is most fertilize places have pelleted lime....its a bit pricey but pobably no more than the spray lime.
Pellatized is through the roof. The extension office has a sprinkling of things that can be rented/borrowed, unfortunately a spreader isn't one.

Agritec liquid calcium (called Advanced Cal) works fantastic for us. First application 2 years ago on 300 acres raised average pH from 5.4 to 6.5, and did so very quickly as opposed to 6 months later with ag lime. Was going to hit it lightly again last year, but the pH was still mid 6's so I'll wait a bit until I need it. I applied at 3 gallons of concentrate per acre. I had a problem with various sedges and they've all but disappeared.

Agritec liquid calcium (called Advanced Cal) works fantastic for us. First application 2 years ago on 300 acres raised average pH from 5.4 to 6.5, and did so very quickly as opposed to 6 months later with ag lime. Was going to hit it lightly again last year, but the pH was still mid 6's so I'll wait a bit until I need it. I applied at 3 gallons of concentrate per acre. I had a problem with various sedges and they've all but disappeared.
What was your cost per gallon on that?

I can't quite see the guaranteed analysis of the Advanced Cal but I'd like to know what it has for Calcium Carbonate Equivalent. They do list calcium chloride on their website which from what I read, doesn't have much of an effect on soil ph. Interesting results for sure. That's a nice change in ph.

You on sandy or clay soil?

I can't quite see the guaranteed analysis of the Advanced Cal but I'd like to know what it has for Calcium Carbonate Equivalent. They do list calcium chloride on their website which from what I read, doesn't have much of an effect on soil ph. Interesting results for sure. That's a nice change in ph.

You on sandy or clay soil?
I was just on the local Craig's List looking for a new Sprayer and came across this ad.

https://tricities.craigslist.org/grq/d/johnson-city-how-to-get-rid-of-broom/7299257606.html

"AgriTec's Pro-Cal and Adv-Cal are liquid solutions to liming the soil. They work just like lime, in the sense that they go into the soil, raise calcium base saturation levels, pushing hydrogen out of the soil and balancing soil pH. The only difference being that in liquid form you eliminate breakdown time so unlike dry lime, you don't have to wait a year for this to go to work. Additionally, liquid eliminates the negative sediment that dry lime typically leaves in the soil. Pro-Cal and Advanced-Cal wipe out weeds and keeps them away for years rather than just a single season."

I have for years now been using products made by a company called "Agritech"
Nitrogen and "pro cal" which us Liquid calcium, phosphate, potassium.
I apply it with a boom sprayer. It has worked quite well especially the liquid N. On pasture and hay fields.
Most people under apply products and are wasting the effort.

I have for years now been using products made by a company called "Agritech"
Nitrogen and "pro cal" which us Liquid calcium, phosphate, potassium.
I apply it with a boom sprayer. It has worked quite well especially the liquid N. On pasture and hay fields.
Most people under apply products and are wasting the effort.
0227211452a.jpg

0227211506.jpg

Latest posts