spotting genetics question

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthebit

Reaction score
What could cause the spotted pattern to show up in a Dexter who has 2 solid coloured parents? Does the spotting pattern lay dormant and then appear generations later? The picture I saw was of a heifer that was shaped like a Dexter, was small, and had colouring of a red holstein...

Where did you see the picture. The only colors I've ever seen in Dexters are red, dun, black and brindle

Onthebit":rvfdnwah said:
What could cause the spotted pattern to show up in a Dexter who has 2 solid coloured parents? Does the spotting pattern lay dormant and then appear generations later? The picture I saw was of a heifer that was shaped like a Dexter, was small, and had colouring of a red holstein...

Well, the spotting gene is recessive like the red gene. It can be there, but you won't see it if there is only one copy of the gene. Both parents would have to have the gene, and both would have to pass the gene on to the calf, for it to be spotted.

I have never heard of spotted Dexters, but, then again, I don't know much about the breed.

The dexter associaiton doesn;t even mention spotting, just the 3 colors and brindle

dun":2lqhvdrv said:
Where did you see the picture. The only colors I've ever seen in Dexters are red, dun, black and brindle

Can the spotting gene be responsible for the white patches on the udders and sheaths?

Latest posts