spotted datana HELP!

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
I am a terrible gardener, but I have 2 live oaks that I've managed to keep going since I planted them several years ago. They've actually done quite well until I noticed a hord of worms on one of them this week. They appear to be datana perspicua or spotted datana caterpillars and they are stripping the leaves pretty quickly.
I dosed them with malathion (sp?) yesterday, but they just moved on to another part of the tree. Can anybody help?

We don't have any of those but we do have pests in pecans. Trick to killing them is to use a finer mist and apply as much water as possible as a carrier. 100 gal/acre is not uncommon.

Thanks, Jo. I wonder if using some sort of oil would help it stick to them better? At least if we get another shower today it might not wash it off. What do you think?

How big are the trees and how much longer is it before the caterpillars will have to go dormant? What about using something like sevin?

Trees are young, only about 10' or 12'. I have no idea about the caterpillars. I've found several websites where you can identify them. Not so many where you can learn about them.
Sevin dust or what form? I'll try it.

I use liquid sevin for armyworms and such. We had a big problem this year with them and they even got in cotton and peanuts. You might want to check a label on them but I suspect it will kill them well and will be much safer than malathion. Also, I'd be scared to use oil on the tree since it could harm the leaves but I don't know this for sure.

farmwriter":h6y3umkl said:
The sevin worked, Jo. Thanks again!

Glad it worked for you. Much safer too. Just realized that is the first useful advice I've ever given on the board. :banana:

Latest posts