Spookie cow with new calf

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
How common does this happen ? Would like to get close enough to at least sex the calf . Before birth I could get close to the cow . Why so spookie ? :? :?

Somewhat normal. She should calm down In a week or teo. But still key one eye on momma just to be safe

rjbovine":2cqhmtrv said:
How common does this happen ? Would like to get close enough to at least sex the calf . Before birth I could get close to the cow . Why so spookie ? :? :?

Not unusual for one to be flighty with a new calf.
I got that takes it to the extreme you wont see the calf but from a distance for a month or so. She has been on the cull list for 10 years, if she didn't raise such a good calf she would have been long gone. If she doesn't have a calf or after it gets a little older she will run over you for a cube.

How new is the calf? It's pretty common. Some of my cows I can get right next to their calves after they have them and check the calf out and do pretty much anything with and they will just watch real close and talk to their calf while I'm working with it. I've got a couple cows that I don't get near their calf for a few days unless I can help it, cause they will get in my pocket if I get too close to their calf. Ordinarily I can get right next to them in the field and they are calm as they can be, but once they calve it's like they flip a switch and they are in momma mode. This is good against predators, but not great when it's me they are chasing off. I always keep some type of stick/pitchfork with me and close to a way out just in case they decide to get after me, cause they can all be unpredictable after calving.

For the ones I can;t get right upto and check I just watch them when they ruse and peak under their tail with binocs or wait till the pee to see where it comes from.

Has she calved for you in the past? If so how did she act with you being around her calf? If you just got this cow and she continues to be "overly protective" I would ship her. That is if you feel it necessary to mess with the calf. I'm kind of new to this myself, but have learned that there is not much of a need to fool with a new born unless there are problems. I use to tag all of my new calves and band castrate bulls right away because they were easy to catch as new borns. I've come to learn that you are better off leaving the bulls intact and castrating later. There will be time enough for catching your calves later. Testicles are like a free growth inmpant. Seems like around here prices for intact bull calves and steer calves are not much different, and the extra pounds can make up for any deductions. If the cow threw a heifer and you plan on keeping this heifer calf, chances are good that she will inherit her mommas "protective" attitude. I like workable cows, not mean ones. Just makes things all around easier.