Splitting Maul or Log Splitter

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":2iuspit4 said:
shaz":2iuspit4 said:
Depends on the volume. I have 3 mauls and a 3pt hitch splitter.
I use about 50 cords a year or more if there's a tornado.
:shock: 50 cords a years! I may be your part of the country, but what makes you go though 50 cords a year? What all do you burn it for?

Impressive video, I'll stick to the wood splitter

Alan

I have 2 Hardy heaters. I heat EVERYTHING with wood including water.

i may burn 2 cords a year but our hurricanes brought down 15 red oaks 2 white oaks 4 hickory and 1 walnut tree so far I have processed 3 red oaks 1 white oak and 2 hickory trees. I will have a ton of wood as I also own a tree service business I normally sell maybe about 30 - 45 cords a year of wood. The guys that work for me work overtime on the weekend and use my 3 pt splitter as well as my tow behind splitter. I rarely use the splitters. The maul is my friend.

used to use a maul many years ago.. still do at times, but the splitter became my friend, and has saved me several backaches, I am sure... :!:

Limomike":ybwlmm8p said:
used to use a maul many years ago.. still do at times, but the splitter became my friend, and has saved me several backaches, I am sure... :!:

lol... I am sure it has saved several... :lol2:

I light the fire in October and let it burn out in April.

How are you guys getting by with 2-3 cords a year :???:

shaz":gvr5jaso said:

I'm sure there are a bunch of factors as far as how much wood we burn. Here in NW OR we don't really get that cold, Nov. to March we rarely drop below 35 degrees, but we do have spells of in the low teens. This year we had 20 in. of snow but it was gone in a couple of days. My house is well insulated, but many around me are not. Now for the touchy area, you cut that red oak a heck of lot better and easier than I could at my age, but I'm not familiar with red oak. The oak we have seems a heck of a lot harder wood, I'm sure could not have pulled it apart with my hands. With some fir and all oak I have to drive a wedge or two, or three into it with a sledge or maul to get the first split. It's hard wood to split. Because of knots with fir and the hardness with our oak. Maybe not, so is why I stay to fir, alder and maple. Fir has too many knots also so I love the splitter!

Alan

Sorry thought I was responding to skyhigh, but the red oak seem too easy to split for oak. The rest still answers your ???

Alan

Why work that hard unless it's just for the exercise?
I split about a cord a year by hand of usually knotty oak. That's about all my back can handle.

Alan":3mnn5tou said:
shaz":3mnn5tou said:

I'm sure there are a bunch of factors as far as how much wood we burn. Here in NW OR we don't really get that cold, Nov. to March we rarely drop below 35 degrees, but we do have spells of in the low teens. This year we had 20 in. of snow but it was gone in a couple of days. My house is well insulated, but many around me are not. Now for the touchy area, you cut that red oak a heck of lot better and easier than I could at my age, but I'm not familiar with red oak. The oak we have seems a heck of a lot harder wood, I'm sure could not have pulled it apart with my hands. With some fir and all oak I have to drive a wedge or two, or three into it with a sledge or maul to get the first split. It's hard wood to split. Because of knots with fir and the hardness with our oak. Maybe not, so is why I stay to fir, alder and maple. Fir has too many knots also so I love the splitter!

Alan

Alan yea that red oak is notty too and is extremely hard to split if its really wet. I split the wood for exercise as well as for fun its also an escape out of the house because I know my other half won't bother me lol My kids come because they think is fun to carry the wood i split and put it in a pile... they are still young and havent learned thats work not play.

shaz":3gvodqxr said:

shaz to answer your question.. I use very little wood a year because its not my primary heat source. I have a basement with a new high efficency wood stove that heats up 2200 sq ft with a blower on it. It isn't that cold here lately and I also have the spray in foam insulation and 2x6 framing and high efficency windows. We use central air as back up but with my basement in ICF walls with framing over the walls that has roll in insulation and sheetrock the heat kinda stays there.and rises throughout the house. my house is a rancher with a basement and is only 1600 sq ft

I prefer a maul to a splitter. It seems faster to me. Any pieces too big or knotty I simply lay them on their side and rip them with the chainsaw.

I love my 3 point splitter. I installed it on a couple of rr ties and just hook it up to my rears when I need to split wood. My neighbor sure likes it also. He can back his tractor in and use it when I am not using it.

Dave":1hmvfbly said:
I prefer a maul to a splitter. It seems faster to me. Any pieces too big or knotty I simply lay them on their side and rip them with the chainsaw.

Dave I agree it is much faster than a splitter. If I can't split with maul I try with a splitter if that doesnt work I put it in a bonfire pile..lol