Splitting Firewood

Help Support CattleToday:

SoILcattle":mml1hkol said:
Unless it's twistest or hard knots I can split much faster with a maul than a splitter. Probably won't be able to one day but I can for now.
ga.prime":mml1hkol said:
I've busted many loads of oak and cherry with various mauls and wedges. Fiskars splitting ax is easily the best of the lot.

Agree with both fiskars makes the best splitting axe.
Spanish oak or mesquite you can split faster by hand. Live oak or post oak you better have a splitter. :nod:

JW IN VA":13e3274s said:
SoILcattle":13e3274s said:
Unless it's twistest or hard knots I can split much faster with a maul than a splitter. Probably won't be able to one day but I can for now.
Me,too
Same here. The pieces with big knots or twisted grain aren't worth the time and energy, but I bust some pieces like that just to see what they look like on the inside.

JW IN VA":2nx7mrzj said:
For those of you who split firewood by hand,what do you prefer? I've always used an 8 lb maul.Tried a 6 lb and didn't like it as well.I hear great things about Fiskars X27 and Isocore mauls but I not wanting to buy another maul which doesn't do anything my current ones don't.
My preference is four children working with me "many hands make the job easy" The hardwood trees we have if not seasoned will eat your lunch

ga.prime":33qii3yn said:
JW IN VA":33qii3yn said:
SoILcattle":33qii3yn said:
Me,too
Same here. The pieces with big knots or twisted grain aren't worth the time and energy, but I bust some pieces like that just to see what they look like on the inside.

I can outsplit a splitter in speed any day it just may have more endurance :lol:

ga.prime":2qxklx04 said:
JW IN VA":2qxklx04 said:
SoILcattle":2qxklx04 said:
Me,too

I thought so to. Then the guy I hunted with for years got into this discussion with his son. They had a friendly bet. Dad who was 64 back then and a little crippled up used a splitter. His son who is in his early 30 and a logger, in shape 6' 2" and 190 pounds used a splitting maul. The wood was relatively clear Douglas fir about 16 inches in diameter cut 18 inches long. Most of it needed to be quartered. I forget how many pieces they each had but it was counted out so they had the same amount and I am guessing it was at least a cord each. Dad won and looked like he could keep going. Son who wasn't too far behind had sweat pouring off him

Latest posts