Split Hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

Sharleen

Reaction score
I have a cow that came up lame. At first I thought it might be footrot so I gave her a shot of LA-200. While she was in the chute I had a closer look. It ends up that she has a split in the bottom of her hoof near the upper rear of the hoof on the right hand side. It is in the pad of the hoof. I was wondering if this will heal in time or not. She is bred, due in March/April. Will she be okay until then or not? Our herd is just small and easy to manage. Not range cattle.
I would appreciate any tips on what I could do, or should do,
Thanks
Sharleen

I would keep her up in a small pen if posible. This will limit the amount of movement. She probly needs a freind. If you have a weaned calf or if she has one keep them together. Feed her hay and water and I think she will be OK. Time will only tell. Keep an I out for swelling and further infection.

Scotty

I had one with hoof split from hair line all the way to the toe. Kept it soft with kerosene for about a month it grew out without any problems. Don't know about your situation though.

Careful - you put 'em on soft ground/pen 'em up and their hooves don't get worn down right. Pen one up that's already lame and you're going to have the worst hooves you've laid eyes on in a matter of weeks.

Trust me - I've got one like that right now. Need to get her feet trimmed up asap and hopefully she'll be sound again.

Had a similar problem one time. Gave him (mine was a bull) antibiotics (Tetradur) prophylactically, used a farrier's knife to pare away the hoof tissue down to good hoof, squirted on some Kopertox (empirically), slathered the affected area of the hoof with some antibiotic ointment, put a diaper on the hoof (to keep the medicine on the hoof and give a little padding), and wrapped the whole mess with vet-rap and duct tape. Changed every 3-4 days and in about 2 weeks he was fine.

If you can keep her in a smaller pasture or trap until she calves, that would help. It will grow out eventually, hopefully without being a constant problem. I've had some that heal up, others that don't.

Prevent her from getting into a stock tank if she's able. That will help it heal faster.

Latest posts