Spiny Amaranth (spiny pigweed)

Help Support CattleToday:

Animal Track Farm

Reaction score
I live in Northeast Georgia and we have 1 pasture that we keep getting areas of this weed in. I have read on line about different control methods and the results of these and have tried some but we still get more weeds. I have used Milestone, 24D and mowing recently. I have read due to the number of seeds that it is hard to control. What have you used and had good results with and how late or early in the season do you use them? I appreciate any suggestions.

We baled a field of it just as it started to flower. That was 4 years ago and there ishardly a plant of it left. Now the guy that took it to feed his cows has a luxurious pasture of it, but he's a mile away on the other side of the timber so I'm not worried about it.
It's claimed that mules will eat the stuff to the ground, don;t know the accuracy of that but a neighbor claimed it worked for him.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":fpoyji6p said:
Ive seen cattle munch on some of the leaves off of it.

Some of my cows eat the seed at a certain stage. Others won't touch them. Acquired taste I suppose.

Saw a report on one of the networks news recently about these weeds in row crops becoming immune to the most commonly used herbicide, diazinon, sp?, I think. The weeds shown were in soybeans and they were as tall as your head. The report said the stalk at the bottom was as large as a baseball bat. Combines were being torn up by them. Some farmers had workers walking the field with machetes.

dun":3c90atpa said:
We baled a field of it just as it started to flower. That was 4 years ago and there ishardly a plant of it left. Now the guy that took it to feed his cows has a luxurious pasture of it, but he's a mile away on the other side of the timber so I'm not worried about it.
It's claimed that mules will eat the stuff to the ground, don;t know the accuracy of that but a neighbor claimed it worked for him.

Remind me never to buy hay from you!

Cowdirt":1vnvnrox said:
Saw a report on one of the networks news recently about these weeds in row crops becoming immune to the most commonly used herbicide, diazinon, sp?, I think. The weeds shown were in soybeans and they were as tall as your head. The report said the stalk at the bottom was as large as a baseball bat. Combines were being torn up by them. Some farmers had workers walking the field with machetes.
Diazinon is an insecticide. It's glyphosate resistant amaranth you're talking sbout. No kind of amaranth is resistant to Banvel+24D herbicide. Banvel+24D can be used in pastures to control amaranth. Multiple sprayings may and probably will be necessary. Banvel+24D cannot be used in soybean fields.

ga. prime":cm2kugse said:
Cowdirt":cm2kugse said:
Diazinon is an insecticide. It's glyphosate resistant amaranth you're talking sbout. No kind of amaranth is resistant to Banvel+24D herbicide. Banvel+24D can be used in pastures to control amaranth. Multiple sprayings may and probably will be necessary. Banvel+24D cannot be used in soybean fields.

Are there grazing restrictions on Banvel? I know on 24d there arent any and its like salad dressing.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":sppxqu7e said:
ga. prime":sppxqu7e said:
Cowdirt":sppxqu7e said:

Are there grazing restrictions on Banvel? I know on 24d there arent any and its like salad dressing.
"For general broadleaf control in pastures, best results are obtained in early summer when weeds are actively growing, or in autumn after precipitation causes renewed fall growth. Some weeds, particularly deep-rooted perennials such as Canada thistle, may require repeated treatments over time for control. Banvel is more effective than 2,4-D on Canada thistle, smartweeds, woody plants and most perennials. Dairy animals cannot be grazed for a year following Crossbow applications or hay harvested that season, but there are no restrictions on grazing by other animal species. Banvel has no waiting period between treatment and grazing for nonlactating animals, but remove meat animals from treated areas 30 days prior to slaughter. Banvel has a restriction for lactating dairy animals for seven days before grazing and 37 days before hay harvest for Banvel rates up to 1 pt/A to a maximum of 60 days before grazing and 90 days before hay harvest for up to 8 qt/A. There are intermediate restrictions for 1 and 2 qt/A rates (see label). Generally, 2,4-D labels specify removal of meat animals from freshly treated areas for 7 days before slaughter and to not graze dairy cattle for 14 days after application, but consult label for specific requirements for that brand and formulation."

Quote from this website: ohioline.osu.edu/agf-fact/0017.html

I'm trying to find a university study I came across last year about chemical control of spiny amaranth. Best I can recall neither Grazon P&D, 2,4,D or any other pasture herbicides tried wiped it out for good in one spraying. It said the seeds were like crabgrass, continuing to germinate throughout the summer after rains. Repeated sprayings were called for.

I mowed a few patches of it down this summer when they were about 24 inches tall, in hopes break its seed production cycle. It looked good for quite awhile but it eventually regrew and seeded out.

Steve Wilson":178kehp0 said:
I'm trying to find a university study I came across last year about chemical control of spiny amaranth. Best I can recall neither Grazon P&D, 2,4,D or any other pasture herbicides tried wiped it out for good in one spraying. It said the seeds were like crabgrass, continuing to germinate throughout the summer after rains. Repeated sprayings were called for.

I mowed a few patches of it down this summer when they were about 24 inches tall, in hopes break its seed production cycle. It looked good for quite awhile but it eventually regrew and seeded out.
2,4-d has no residual affect. It will kill the plants that have sprouted but the seeds will just keep germinating. Grazon P+D has a residual affect. Usually it lasts about 3 months but I've had it work for up to 6 months on some weeds

dun":14f8cq2k said:
Steve Wilson":14f8cq2k said:

2,4-d has no residual affect. It will kill the plants that have sprouted but the seeds will just keep germinating. Grazon P+D has a residual affect. Usually it lasts about 3 months but I've had it work for up to 6 months on some weeds

Havent they stopped making grazon p+D

S&WSigma40VEShooter":hh0057w7 said:
They have and it's been replaced by a "newer" version that I think uses a different residual then picloram. Since I still have jugs of the stuff I fail to remember that the old stuff isn;t avaialble anymore.
The new stuff is Grazonnext: http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/grazonnext.htm

dun":7jpweyrn said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":7jpweyrn said:
They have and it's been replaced by a "newer" version that I think uses a different residual then picloram. Since I still have jugs of the stuff I fail to remember that the old stuff isn;t avaialble anymore.
The new stuff is Grazonnext: http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/grazonnext.htm

This is what I like best off the label.

•No grazing restrictions for any type of livestock, including lactating dairy animals, beef cattle, sheep, goats and horses1

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3ky83mep said:
hayrack":3ky83mep said:
Grazon will kill it.

Wonder how come I got some in a field that was sprayed with grazon P+D that had the 2-4-d in her? Neither one of these killed the pig weed.
Sparyed at the wrong time of year, or wrong strength, or wrong weather conditions

dun":3vpjbvdi said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":3vpjbvdi said:
hayrack":3vpjbvdi said:
Grazon will kill it.

Wonder how come I got some in a field that was sprayed with grazon P+D that had the 2-4-d in her? Neither one of these killed the pig weed.
Sparyed at the wrong time of year, or wrong strength, or wrong weather conditions

Sprayed it about two months ago. It had been dry for about a week when I sprayed it. It rained 1 week after I sprayed it.

Latest posts