Spinal Stenosis

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":mbady4ri said:
Exercise for me makes things worse. When I was doing rehab I would have to sit down for a half hour or so and take pain meds before I could head home. If I do much of anything that requires moving my back I have to sit down for a while till I can get up and start doing stuff again. Mine is all in the lower third of my back and vicodin is my friend

:frowns: :(

I'm sorry to hear that. Makes things a bit challenging. :?

dun":1csnsps2 said:
TCRanch":1csnsps2 said:
dun":1csnsps2 said:
Exercise for me makes things worse. When I was doing rehab I would have to sit down for a half hour or so and take pain meds before I could head home. If I do much of anything that requires moving my back I have to sit down for a while till I can get up and start doing stuff again. Mine is all in the lower third of my back and vicodin is my friend
Rehab/PT is brutal! Hubby was told to take a pain pill before he got there when he had shoulder surgery and was still practically in tears by the time he left. He was diligent about PT at home but I wasn't quite Nurse Ratchet and at the time we didn't have the Tens Pulse Unit so I wasn't able to shock the snot out of him (nor did I want to be the one responsible for administering that level of pain!).
Have you ever tried one of those vibrating back massagers that you sit on and can control the location and level of heat? Not helping him in this situation but does wonders for me when I have lower back issues.
The only thing that actaully helped, the tens unit didn;t, was the inversion deal where you hang upside down. Problem with that was about the time the pain started to lessen in my back my heart would start to feel like it was going to explode out of my chest. Tried the rack kind of table deal and that got to my heart also. After I had shoulder surgery it took about 2 years for the pain to get much better. But there are still times when it drives me up the wall. I really think at times the getting old dosn;t beat the alternative.
Precisely why his cardiologist said NO. Except prior to that while I was doing my unscientific research, I tried to emulate the inversion table by hanging off the bed. Felt amazing on my lower back for about 5 minutes but then my head felt like it was going to explode (instead of my chest/heart). Wriggled myself out, collapsed on the floor, stood up and immediately face-planted. So, no table here!
I vicariously feel your pain and understand. And I'm so sorry you're dealing with that.

Had a friend who had back surgery and could get rid of the pain afterwards. He tried grabbing the trim above the door and stretch his back, inversion table and a few other things.

He had three kids and they all had bean bag chairs. One day he lined them up and laid across all three. He said that was the best relief he got.

Quick update: Saw the cardiologist yesterday and did not get approved for surgery so he had to do a nuclear stress test today. Still no-go and is scheduled for another heart catheterization Friday. They generally don't put in a stent unless there is 70% blockage but the cardiologist said he would at 60%. Last heart cath was doing pretty much nothing for 10 days, no lifting over 10 lbs, etc so he'll recover from that just in time for surgery, which is scheduled for the 18th. That's assuming he finally gets approved.

TCRanch":202h5194 said:
Quick update: Saw the cardiologist yesterday and did not get approved for surgery so he had to do a nuclear stress test today. Still no-go and is scheduled for another heart catheterization Friday. They generally don't put in a stent unless there is 70% blockage but the cardiologist said he would at 60%. Last heart cath was doing pretty much nothing for 10 days, no lifting over 10 lbs, etc so he'll recover from that just in time for surgery, which is scheduled for the 18th. That's assuming he finally gets approved.

Sorry to hear of the complications. Sending good wishes--please keep us posted.

TCRanch":2l8y4fyc said:

TC I hope everything works out for you.. That sucks bad I hope for a fast speedy recovery

I am in the recovery process now of surgery on my back. I started out with lower back pains for about two years or so. I finally got so bad I went to see a doctor, He told me I had a torn legament(sp) gave me pain pills and was told to stay in bed. After one month of this I went to another doc.He recemended a nuerosurgeon. After a few cat scans the found a tumor growing in side L 5 that had completely destroyed my vertebra. Then they had to go in and completely remove and put in what they called a cage. First went through the front and removed the tumor and put in what they called a plate. Then I rested for one day and then they went through the back and put in rods and screws.When they gave me the drug to knock me out on the second operation I had too many drugs in me and had a drug overdose. They about lost me so my wife says. Stopped breathing and heart almost stopped.Guess they didn't take in the fact I had been on pain meds for 4 months. I have recovered quite a bit since surgery. Just finished physical rehab and only took one pain pill in the last four days. I have an appointment with my surgeon on the fifth of Sep. Guess we will see how far I have come. However I do not wish what I went through on anyone. My weight is around 150 and during all this ordeal I got down to 116. Had no want to eat anything. But have my appetite back and back up to 126. Sorry this was so long but I just want to tell everyone If you have back problems don't hesitate to get it taken care of. And always get more than just one doctors opinion.

TCRanch":4pv6fwh4 said:

Sorry to hear that. When I went for my pre-op clearance the cardiologist seriously asked why we were there because my repair was done so well. Other folks are not so lucky. First question I had after my BIG surgery (over 5 hours) was "Any cardiac blips?" My surgeon was very happy to tell me that I experience none.

Calman":q7t38uvv said:
I am in the recovery process now of surgery on my back. I started out with lower back pains for about two years or so. I finally got so bad I went to see a doctor, He told me I had a torn legament(sp) gave me pain pills and was told to stay in bed. After one month of this I went to another doc.He recemended a nuerosurgeon. After a few cat scans the found a tumor growing in side L 5 that had completely destroyed my vertebra. Then they had to go in and completely remove and put in what they called a cage. First went through the front and removed the tumor and put in what they called a plate. Then I rested for one day and then they went through the back and put in rods and screws.When they gave me the drug to knock me out on the second operation I had too many drugs in me and had a drug overdose. They about lost me so my wife says. Stopped breathing and heart almost stopped.Guess they didn't take in the fact I had been on pain meds for 4 months. I have recovered quite a bit since surgery. Just finished physical rehab and only took one pain pill in the last four days. I have an appointment with my surgeon on the fifth of Sep. Guess we will see how far I have come. However I do not wish what I went through on anyone. My weight is around 150 and during all this ordeal I got down to 116. Had no want to eat anything. But have my appetite back and back up to 126. Sorry this was so long but I just want to tell everyone If you have back problems don't hesitate to get it taken care of. And always get more than just one doctors opinion.
Dam, I'm so glad that most everything I have can be dealt with with medication. Makes me realize how lucky I am to only have the spinal stenosis, broken transfers process's and CGF. Not being snarky, really am grateful

Calman":39gbncbb said:

Very painful to know anyone has suffered that much. I wish you well.

Calman":2x4alzum said:
Wow, thanks for sharing. I actually got goosebumps. He's been really good about not taking any pain pills unless absolutely necessary and has tapered off to maybe 1 a week. Honestly, Aleve during the day and Advil PM at night seems to help him just as well as an opioids. Interesting about your weight loss; he's 6'5" and has gone from 238 to 211, mainly because he no longer has much of an appetite.
Best of luck on your upcoming appointment and I'm glad you followed through with the PT!

Thanks for the well wishes! What I didn't realize is if he has to have a stent, surgery for the stenosis will have to be delayed at least 3 months and that could get interesting because he's switching insurance Jan 1st. Never easy.

The weight loss subject I find interesting. I went from 165 to 112. Glad to know others have the same kind of issues with weight from meds.

TC ------- I'm so sorry to hear of all these darn complications. :(

Calman ------------ So good to see you posting again! Sorry to hear of your back issues, that's pretty scary! :eek:

dun------------------ I like your attitude, but sorry to hear of your ails as well. :(

dun":2d11jnal said:
The weight loss subject I find interesting. I went from 165 to 112. Glad to know others have the same kind of issues with weight from meds.
Oh dang! I'm just a biscuit away from a buck twenty-five and I'm considered the token anorexic around here. Have you tried Ensure or protein drinks?

TCRanch":azi2zqzd said:
dun":azi2zqzd said:
Oh dang! I'm just a biscuit away from a buck twenty-five and I'm considered the token anorexic around here. Have you tried Ensure or protein drinks?
Several protein drinks a day, that's what stopped the free fall.

Heart cath a huge success! Blockage down to 45%, no stent, didn't bleed so brought him home. Darn near had to physically restrain him from going down to the barn but fortunately the pain meds wore off so he's now content to be prone on the couch. Worst patient ever!!! 10 day recovery, surgery still planned for the 18th.

Don't have the back/spine issues, but the ankle and knee issues have really gotten to me. Have seen some very positive improvements with the PRP prolotherapy treatments to the left knee, not any with the ankle but the next step is stem cell.

The chiropractor has given me alot of relief with the back aches from being on concrete so much, and even with the knee and ankle joint pain. Everyone that has seen my ankle, and I have been to over 6 drs. in the past 5 years, have commented on the amount of range of motion in the ankle even with the pain. So, I don't want to go to fusion but that is what conventional medicine is pushing.
I am now having some prp in the right knee and the shoulder and will do both shoulders as I can barely get my arms behind my back in the last 6 months. Said my rotater (sp?) cuffs on both are showing some wear but are both in place so the prp will hopefully strengthen the muscles and ligaments to keep them in place and improve on the pain.
Insurance does not cover any of this so have to space the treatments out more than I would like and the stem cell is more expensive. Have talked to several people that have said stem cell is the way to go; one guy at a cattle meeting heard me telling another friend how I was getting along, and just joined in and told how it had made his life so much better. Didn't know him from the man in the moon so kinda good to know. Also have some friends with show driving horses and ponies and they said it is common in them to do stem cell and prolotherapy type treatments for their joint problems.

One thing, acupuncture has definitely helped the pain in the ankle. I was skeptical and a little afraid of the needle idea, but you pretty much don't feel them, they are so slender, like smaller in diameter than a hair, and if you let yourself relax and try to imagine the pain reducing in intensity, instead of fighting it, then i see good results. I have been in tears a couple of times, and just that will take the edge off. Doesn't cure it, but does help and the effects sometimes last for a few days.

Good luck with his upcoming surgery.