Spinal Stenosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Anyone ever have surgery for spinal stenosis? In addition to a herniated disc, my husband's C4 through C6 have essentially no spinal fluid and surgery is scheduled in Sept (has to see his Cardiologist first & he's out of the country). These are evidently common injuries with Farmers, Ranchers, physical labor jobs, etc. They make an incision through the muscle and basically file down the spiky part of the spine until there is very little bone left but it will allow the spinal fluid to once again flow & protect the spinal cord, the muscles will eventually fuse back together. Recovery is supposed to be minimum 6 weeks doing virtually nothing: no lifting anything over 5 lbs, no stairs/climbing, twisting, riding rough roads/terrain, etc. Naturally the recovery period falls during weaning and (God forbid!) the start of bow season. The alternative is to continue to live in pain and potential paralysis if he is injured, falls, car wreck, whatever. Okay, so that's a no-brainer! The herniated disc is manageable, therefore no treatment right now.

Personal experiences, opinions or anecdotes? Does it actually work? And BTW, this is not one of those in/out the same day dancing that evening surgery centers you see advertised alllll the time on TV.

Thanks for any input (good & bad)!

TCRanch":2551w0eq said:
Anyone ever have surgery for spinal stenosis? In addition to a herniated disc, my husband's C4 through C6 have essentially no spinal fluid and surgery is scheduled in Sept (has to see his Cardiologist first & he's out of the country). These are evidently common injuries with Farmers, Ranchers, physical labor jobs, etc. They make an incision through the muscle and basically file down the spiky part of the spine until there is very little bone left but it will allow the spinal fluid to once again flow & protect the spinal cord, the muscles will eventually fuse back together. Recovery is supposed to be minimum 6 weeks doing virtually nothing: no lifting anything over 5 lbs, no stairs/climbing, twisting, riding rough roads/terrain, etc. Naturally the recovery period falls during weaning and (God forbid!) the start of bow season. The alternative is to continue to live in pain and potential paralysis if he is injured, falls, car wreck, whatever. Okay, so that's a no-brainer! The herniated disc is manageable, therefore no treatment right now.

Personal experiences, opinions or anecdotes? Does it actually work? And BTW, this is not one of those in/out the same day dancing that evening surgery centers you see advertised alllll the time on TV.

Thanks for any input (good & bad)!

Yep December 2015 C4 through C7 fused titanium plate and cage with cadaver bone.
I was wheel chair bound without it spinal column was compressed from 10 mm to 5.
Go to Fodren Orthopedic Houston Texas people fly in from all over for them to
do the surgery.
Depends on age at recovery rate I still have to December to consider complete fusion.
I am better after surgery there is a lot of things I can't do anymore.
Driving on a trip is not fun as I only have 40% range of motion.
Feel free to pm for phone numbers if you want to talk in detail

How much numbness is he suffering in his toes? What about mysterious debilitating cramps in his leg muscles that take a long time to subside? Of course there's the constant awareness of pain in the lower back that is worse some days than others.

Yeah, I can relate and no, I'm not having the surgery. Laminectomy I believe it's called. Scares me to death.

He had considerable numbness and pain in his left arm, describes it like a bolt of lightning if he sneezes or coughs and drops things a lot. His balance is totally off and has fallen (even off a ladder) a number of times. No numbness in his toes but he also has wonky knees from long-ago sports injuries and surgery. I initially thought he had an inner ear/vertigo issue. He does have occasional leg cramps (always in the middle of the night!) but walks it off. Has tried a Chiropracter, steroids, muscle relaxers, pain pills, the Tens Pulse unit, epidural steroid injections, PT . . .

Recovery rate based on age? He's 65. His Neurosurgeon told him it took a long time for his back to degenerate to this point and it will take a long time to heal.

CB, thanks for the referral tip. He's seeing a (the?) top neurosurgeon in Wichita (it helps to have connections) but I'm all about due diligence and will look into it. I'm glad you're getting at least some relief but WOW, recovery is clearly longer than I anticipated.

I know of 2 people that had an out patient surgery in Tampa last yr. Both serious back issues. They are both completely pain free and was back at work in a week. Supposedly cutting edge technology . one fell off a roof yrs ago and had numerous back surgeries . he sings the praises of this procedure every day.

M-5":6e9w8p9w said:
I know of 2 people that had an out patient surgery in Tampa last yr. Both serious back issues. They are both completely pain free and was back at work in a week. Supposedly cutting edge technology . one fell off a roof yrs ago and had numerous back surgeries . he sings the praises of this procedure every day.

I'd love to know more, can you inquire please?

TCRanch":2wurx91u said:
He had considerable numbness and pain in his left arm, describes it like a bolt of lightning if he sneezes or coughs and drops things a lot. His balance is totally off and has fallen (even off a ladder) a number of times. No numbness in his toes but he also has wonky knees from long-ago sports injuries and surgery. I initially thought he had an inner ear/vertigo issue. He does have occasional leg cramps (always in the middle of the night!) but walks it off. Has tried a Chiropracter, steroids, muscle relaxers, pain pills, the Tens Pulse unit, epidural steroid injections, PT . . .

Recovery rate based on age? He's 65. His Neurosurgeon told him it took a long time for his back to degenerate to this point and it will take a long time to heal.

CB, thanks for the referral tip. He's seeing a (the?) top neurosurgeon in Wichita (it helps to have connections) but I'm all about due diligence and will look into it. I'm glad you're getting at least some relief but WOW, recovery is clearly longer than I anticipated.

Look up Jack Williamson at Fondren one of the leading in the country.
You want to talk to several there dam sure is no do overs.
I lost some things my big bore shotguns and rifles not supposed to shoot anything with over 12lbs recoil.
I was told to never climb a ladder or lift more than 15 lbs a over my head.
I waited too long and ended up with a bunch of muscle atrophy due to nerve that will never recover.

Sending my empathy and compassion for your husband. Hoping he has a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Caustic Burno":4xs4u55k said:
TCRanch":4xs4u55k said:

Look up Jack Williamson at Fondren one of the leading in the country.
You want to talk to several there dam sure is no do overs.
I lost some things my big bore shotguns and rifles not supposed to shoot anything with over 12lbs recoil.
I was told to never climb a ladder or lift more than 15 lbs a over my head.
I waited too long and ended up with a bunch of muscle atrophy due to nerve that will never recover.
Thanks, CB. Jack Williamson - got it. My hope is that he's having the surgery before it's too late. I've been doing the majority of the "manual labor" since Christmas so he most likely already has at least some atrophy (and he's lost almost 20 lbs). I suspect he will argue the "steps" up to his Redneck Blind don't fall into the category of an actual ladder :bang:

M-5":nho1s6ax said:
He'll be in-patient for at least 2 days but good to know there are success stories. Thanks!

TennesseeTuxedo":cjtouphf said:
M-5":cjtouphf said:

I will get the information for you.

Thank you for the well wishes and prayers! And I wouldn't mind if you also said a little prayer for me as he teaches me how to master the track loader, tractor/bale spears, all his "man-implements", etc. Did I mention he's the worst back-seat driver ever? Give me strength!

M-5":1wkn8uap said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1wkn8uap said:
M-5":1wkn8uap said:

Ask and ye shall receive.
https://www.laserspineinstitute.com/tampa/

Caustic Burno":2z2ymacb said:
TCR I was in two days first week was rough.
This was six weeks after and I had decided to start getting out a little.
6 weeks is totally doable if you were this mobile! BTW that's the hairiest, biggest hog I've ever seen :shock:

TennesseeTuxedo":18ojbaa0 said:
M-5":18ojbaa0 said:
M-5":18ojbaa0 said:
Ask and ye shall receive.
https://www.laserspineinstitute.com/tampa/

I had a hunch that's where he went. I've heard positive things about them as well. Thank you.
The other guy is about 6'5 and 400# so his back has been in a bind for yrs. Since surgery he's been able to start losing weight again and really has been a positive experience.

Latest posts