Spickler Angus - McCumber Angus - Annual Angus Partners Female Sale today in North Dakota.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Bred heifers calving dates Feb and March....a couple of groups for early April. Feb calvers are $1800-$2400 each weighing 1300 to 1600lbs. Cheapest I have seen today so far were some f1 black baldies 800 lbs and up, at $1600- $2000. I am very impressed with the quality and conditioning of these cows so far. If not for the long . thick hair and the people at the sale dressed like Eskimos. I would have thought I was at an angus sale in the south. North Dakota must have had a good year for crops and hay, because the cows are in top shape, and the people buying these (one man has bought nearly 300 so far) must feel like they have enough hay and grain to get these through til the grass comes back this spring.

Watching regular sale in South Dakota now, and these early-calving black Angus are bringing the same.. Just watched 90 something , 1000 lb red Angus AI"ed to red Angus for April 5th calves, with 14 day window, bring $1850. A pen of Charolais, March calving dates, bred to a Red Angus, averaging 1300 lbs just brought $1345 per head

Bred heifers calving dates Feb and March....a couple of groups for early April. Feb calvers are $1800-$2400 each weighing 1300 to 1600lbs. Cheapest I have seen today so far were some f1 black baldies 800 lbs and up, at $1600- $2000. I am very impressed with the quality and conditioning of these cows so far. If not for the long . thick hair and the people at the sale dressed like Eskimos. I would have thought I was at an angus sale in the south. North Dakota must have had a good year for crops and hay, because the cows are in top shape, and the people buying these (one man has bought nearly 300 so far) must feel like they have enough hay and grain to get these through til the grass comes back this spring.
It was dry in much ND this past year. Good in a few spots, so it sounds like they were in a good spot. I've watched McCumber Angus for quite some time. They have good Black Angus cattle IMO. Thanks for the report.

And a pen of Hereford heifers with 2 black baldies, averaging 935 lbs, bred to Black Angus bull for April 5th calving, just brought $1500, Then what looked like a nice herd of Angus cows , 45 of them, averaging 1600 lbs, came in. Auctioneer said that they were REGISTERED Simmental. Not a white hair on any of them. Bred to reg. Simmental bulls. Ages 3, 4, and 5 years, Feb 1st calving dates, only brought $2k each. These South Dakota cattle are all in great shape, too.

Can you imagine what bred heifers and young cows will sell for when the drought is over and everyone in the northern plains is trying to rebuild their herds? I predict a much higher than normal percentage of heifers will be retained which will keep feeder prices high for a couple more years.
Barring outside influences such as increased imports from Australia and South America.

Can you imagine what bred heifers and young cows will sell for when the drought is over and everyone in the northern plains is trying to rebuild their herds? I predict a much higher than normal percentage of heifers will be retained which will keep feeder prices high for a couple more years.
Barring outside influences such as increased imports from Australia and South America.
If there are any ranchers left to buy them. It's very dry here in the northern plains right now. Pray for moisture!

1600 pound heifer at 24 months I'm assuming is pretty big. What's she gonna mature at?
He said they were cows if you read that post again. I don't want 1600# cows either. Yikes.
"Then what looked like a nice herd of Angus cows , 45 of them, averaging 1600 lbs, came in. Auctioneer said that they were REGISTERED Simmental. Not a white hair on any of them."

It's very dry here in the northern plains right now. Pray for moisture!
@faster horses we're very dry here in my part of North Texas, I'm getting by because I had an opportunity to buy plenty of hay at a great price. I've endured more than one drought and know how tough it is. We all should be praying for widespread moisture across the northern and southern plains. 🙏🌧️🌧️🌧️

@faster horses we're very dry here in my part of North Texas, I'm getting by because I had an opportunity to buy plenty of hay at a great price. I've endured more than one drought and know how tough it is. We all should be praying for widespread moisture across the northern and southern plains. 🙏🌧️🌧️🌧️
Thank you. I remember one year we sent hay from SE Montana to New Mexico. There was basically no hay grown this past summer in many dryland areas in Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota. Producers won't be able to stand one more summer like we the summer of 2021. We will pray for rain for North Texas too.

He said they were cows if you read that post again. I don't want 1600# cows either. Yikes.
"Then what looked like a nice herd of Angus cows , 45 of them, averaging 1600 lbs, came in. Auctioneer said that they were REGISTERED Simmental. Not a white hair on any of them."
Those first two sentences are what I was referring to.

Latest posts