Spending Money needlessly.

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I don't know about ya'll but I have a weakness for buying guns and ammo and have way more than needed.
It just seems like when I find one I like and don't have,it turns into one of those "just gotta have things".
It's a bad habit and an expensive one.I'm trying to cut back,but find it very hard to control.
If my house ever caught fire I would run like h*** and head off the fire department.

Now let's hear from some of ya'll on spending money on things you don't need.Unless it's just too personal.

A feller told me one time if you can buy something you don't really need you are rich.

Cal

Years ago my wife made a rule that in order to buy a gun I had to sell one. So I started building them from scratch, ahe caught on to that and decided that was the same thing as buying one. So I started adding barrels for my Contenders. When I got over 2 dozen she claimed that was the same thing. Just no pleasing some people.
Now it's fishing rods and cows.

Cal there is an L.C. Smith over/under 12 gauge down at the gun shop that has been in the back of my mind for months. I don't need it. It is $900 and feels great when you throw it up on your shoulder.

I have my great grandfather's L.C.Smith side by side that has damascus barrels. 32 inch goose gun with full choke on both barrels. He was a rice farmer in south east Texas.

We have been back in that gun shop several times because, as you probably know, ammo has been hard to come by. Not just bullets but bird shot and everything else. It seems people were buying it by the case for the last several months. Each time I walk in there, I look at that gun. I have to tell him not to hand it to me. I don't want to touch it again.

There is a Weatherby rifle I'd like to have too but it is not the same desire and I don't need it either.

With truck prices being what they are, I have thought of buying one now and just parking it. If you pay for it, you don't have to carry insurance on it if you don't drive it on public roads. Just crank it up once in a while and circle your pasture. Keep it stored in a place where wild fire won't take it out. But it is so dry, the humidity is so low, and the winds have been high. This could be another year that fire takes out several homes and farms. So I have decided not to do that.

cfpinz":7xkx89gi said:
I'd have to say it's old junk trucks, you can never have too many.
Especially if they're bright canary yellow......................

Let's see. I did buy a 40 year old grain drill to replace a 50 year old one that just needed a tire. But I can use the old one for parts and the newer one is 3 feet wider so their should be a 25 % fuel and time savings over a period of time... :roll:

I've done a lot of "repairs and improvements" around the farm over the past few years that could have waited. Figure it is cheaper for me to do them myself now than it will be for me to pay to have them done later when I might not be able to do them for myself.

Obviously, I have spent money on cattle I don't need and bought equipment for convenience sake that could be called needless.

Jogeephus":3w1jtt2d said:
angie":3w1jtt2d said:
Cigarettes and diet coke.

I thought these were neccessities! After all, how could you start your day without them. ;-) :nod: :lol2:
Ah see? It is subjective the word "need" ~ yes? :lol2: :nod:
I thought as much myself, but have a hard time finding back up. :???:

I would say, for my husband, woodworking tools and gadgets. I am sure he has another viewpoint on that...

I guess for me it would be clothes and make-up. I have lots of clothes and lots of make-up but I always find something I like better.

I also have a thing about living room furniture. I don't see how people can have the same sofa for twenty years. I love to get new livingroom furniture every five years or so. Keeps things fresh. Nothing wrong with the old stuff, I just get tired of looking at it. Bedspreads, too. Love that bed in a bag thing!

Lammie":gx8o0s51 said:
I also have a thing about living room furniture. I don't see how people can have the same sofa for twenty years. I love to get new livingroom furniture every five years or so. Keeps things fresh. Nothing wrong with the old stuff, I just get tired of looking at it. Bedspreads, too. Love that bed in a bag thing!

:lol: Don't come around here then. Looking around my stuff I see one recliner I bought in '94 (don't ever sit in it because I paid a fortune for it) the rest is Mom's stuff, some of which was bought in '83. :oops:
:lol:

Calman":306qc5a0 said:
I don't know about ya'll but I have a weakness for buying guns and ammo and have way more than needed.
It just seems like when I find one I like and don't have,it turns into one of those "just gotta have things".
It's a bad habit and an expensive one.I'm trying to cut back,but find it very hard to control.
If my house ever caught fire I would run like h*** and head off the fire department.

Now let's hear from some of ya'll on spending money on things you don't need.Unless it's just too personal.

A feller told me one time if you can buy something you don't really need you are rich.

Cal
cattle ;-)

If We had the $ I've spent on my own adventures [western hunting and stuff] BL and I could buy up the property next to Joe. :nod:

mnmtranching":3kbilmo1 said:
If We had the $ I've spent on my own adventures [western hunting and stuff] BL and I could buy up the property next to Joe. :nod:

There willever be any property next to Jo cause he already owns it ;-)

HOSS":368huk3p said:
mnmtranching":368huk3p said:

There willever be any property next to Jo cause he already owns it ;-)

YUP, I know :( But it's like outer space, must end somewhere. :???:

I really like shoes and purses, but I think I have a lot of restraint in regards buying them. My husband doesn't agree.

I'm almost exactly the opposite. There might be something that I could use or want....Many times I simply talk myself out of it. Guess I'm a Scrooge.

Husband almost bought me a truck the other day, as if we need another vehicle on the place. :roll:
I don't care that my Nova is still getting done and my '89 1/2 ton needs a motor rebuild and a new starter switch, We don't need another one.

The wife and I work it this way. We both get X amount of money every week transferred into your own personal account. You're free to use it how you want to use it. Copays, farm stuff, groceries, car or tractor parts, stuff needed for the house, and other non personal stuff gets turned in and you get reimbursed for it the next week. It gets abused from time to time but it works most of the time and there's no "what did you spend my money on".

I was bad about buying junk. Yes that stuff you have to have that sits in a box and don't know where it is when you need it. But now that I have X amount of money I don't just by junk all the time.

Latest posts