Speeking With Voice - Part 2

Help Support CattleToday:

sillco

Reaction score
Louisiana Native in South Central Wisconsin, USA
This is called BRANDING. The NCBA is calling for Choice for the packers instead of Country of Orgin Labeling (COOL). COOL is, at the very least, an alternative to the BRANDING program promoted by the BIG Corporations. The Cattle producers will not maintain the revered place in history by becomming share croppers. The next move will be outsourcing the production of beef to other countries and completely destroying the industry in this country. Their saving will increase by .58 cents for every dollar outsourced, so some economists say. What a way to grow an industry to the benefit or the U.S. producers. I say lets get COOL rolling to help save the U.S. cattle industry. I am getting tried of seeing "make in China" or elsewhere on every thing. Lets's put "Made in the U.S.A." back on something. That something needs to be U.S. produced Beef, the best in the world. That is my opinion.
Harry Sutherland
Jefferson, Wisconsin

How would you feel about a NOrth American branding program? The costs would be alot less for the feedlot operators and I think you would find it to be an easier sale.

Estimated costs for COOL are around two billion a year. Who do you think is going to pay for that. It is rare to see those costs passed on to the consumer. We have an animal ID program, the extra costs for the tags comes directly out of the producers' pockets and there is no compensation for it. If you don't comply, you can get fined. The other thing I wonder is if all your beef is labelled USA and some new disease crops up in the US herd, wouldn't that be a total disaster? If the xtra costs will be passed onto the consumer, imported beef will become cheaper than American beef. Americans are pretty patriotic, but I wonder whether they would pay extra just to buy American. It doesn't seem to work with the American cars, electronics, or running shoes, do you think it will work with food. I'm not trying to be confrontational here. I'm just asking. I would never blame the American government for protecting their citizens interests. I wish the Canadian government was more on that track.

I know that I'm stupid but why not make other countries label theirs and ours carries a general label that it is a product of the U.S. If we do that where is the incurred cost to the producers?

So what would be American beef. If it was born in the States, finished in Canada and shipped back to the US is it American beef? If it is born in Mexico, finished and slaughtered in the US is it American beef? If it is born and finished in the US but slaughtered elsewhere is it still US beef?
The big problem we have in Canada is that we always thought we had an integrated North American Market. Before free trade came through, we had five large packing plants in our province (60% of our beef goes to exports) most of it to the US. It makes up about 5% of the US market. After free trade all those jobs in the packing plants went south because as I said, we thought it was an integrated market. This BSE thing has shown us different. Now we are producing far more than we can slaughter and instead of free trade with the US we may end up competing with the US in the foreign markets. Canada and the US are the only countries in the world that produce any substantial amount of grain fed beef. That is why I think that if we have this market cornered we should be attacking this as a united front rather than a divided one. All this COOL and border closures to me looks like protectionism. In a land that prides itself on being a leader in free enterprise, this surprises me. I could give you a big, long winded lesson on why protectionism doesn't work in a global economy but as I say it would be long winded.

I firmly believe that the Canadian beef as a product is equal to ours in the U.S.
I firmly do not believe that we are a north american partner. Where is the Canadian blood being spilled in Iraq? If you aren't willing to help us out then I don't care if you sell so much as a hamburger full of beef here again. When the idiots from the middle east kill thousands of your cowerdly people don't call ME!!!!!

And another thing . As long as their sending boys back to my home town in body bags don't call me protectionist!

Ollie":jles4bj2 said:
I firmly believe that the Canadian beef as a product is equal to ours in the U.S.
I firmly do not believe that we are a north american partner. Where is the Canadian blood being spilled in Iraq? If you aren't willing to help us out then I don't care if you sell so much as a hamburger full of beef here again. When the idiots from the middle east kill thousands of your cowerdly people don't call ME!!!!!
Ollie
I think that we have to remember that it is the Canadian Bureacrats that didn't want to send Canadians to help us in Iraq. They people that they have in charge is somewhat like billary clinton was and what we have to look forward if John Fairy gets elected as president of the U S of A.
After reading most of Cattle Rack Ranchers posts on this board I don't think that we should be bashing him for something that the people in power of his government has done or is doing.

WIN BUSH WIN

Nobody is going to set on the free by osmosis side of the border and tell me that we haven't been a friend (i.e. protectionist ) as if our border isn't closed as well. I'm firmly convinced with all our so called allies leaving us in the lurch that at in this time in history our friends will signify their friendship with blood. The kind that a young promising son, brother or husband pumps out . The kind of blood that a widows fingernails sinking into her palms makes when they tell her the news. The kind most of the world knows nothing about.America the beautiful border to border...

Ollie":1znrg4fo said:

Now wait a minute before you go to bashing our Canadian Neighbors for not being in this fight with us. Now my son is in the USAF I understand getting emotional. I think they should be with us on this one but they opted out. I think if the same thing happened to our northern neighbors we ought to help. Remember the Iran hostages. Our neighbor that is a leach is Mexico they have never offered to help. All they want is our milk and honey. Canada rows their own boat and doesn't have a corrupt government.

Mexicans have never called the U.S. Protectionists. We are more than capable of defending our country with one push of the button but people from other countries insist that we have an agenda other than freedom and free trade for our country when we respond as gently as we can whether it is bse or anti terrorism.

I understand that we lost people in 911, and that a solution to terroism is something we need to work on. I myself spent six years in USMC and have had two sons in Iraq of which one is still there..I must point out to you people that there was not a single Iraq peson involed with 911, so anyone who thinks the war in Iraq is about 911 is wrong...Just as the war is...So as you talk about body bags it is all to close to me and mind...... Yes I am against Baby Bush..He is wrong and what he is doing is against everything this country is about...WHAT I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND IS HOW SO MANY SO CALL AMERICAN ARE LETTING HIM DO SO MANY UN-AMERICAN, UN- CHRISTIUN THINGS....AND THINK IT IS RIGHT....ALF

Alf":11wdampr said:
I understand that we lost people in 911, and that a solution to terroism is something we need to work on. I myself spent six years in USMC and have had two sons in Iraq of which one is still there..I must point out to you people that there was not a single Iraq peson involed with 911, so anyone who thinks the war in Iraq is about 911 is wrong...Just as the war is...So as you talk about body bags it is all to close to me and mind...... Yes I am against Baby Bush..He is wrong and what he is doing is against everything this country is about...WHAT I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND IS HOW SO MANY SO CALL AMERICAN ARE LETTING HIM DO SO MANY UN-AMERICAN, UN- CHRISTIUN THINGS....AND THINK IT IS RIGHT....ALF
Alf
As I said before. Give it Up. If you do not want to protect your country and what your forefathers fought for you are worthless to your family and anyone else. You seem like a sorry piece of c--p to me. Go drink your moonshine. Actually you probaly as worthless as tits on a fish.If even as you state that there were not no Iraq persons involved in 911 you are out of your tree. Where do you think that a bunch of alQaedas financing came from if it was not from Iraq. If alQaeda was not involved with Iraq why was there the bombings by them which they took credit for today in Bagdad. alQaeda alone could not finance your moonshine without someones oil money. Saddam killed 100's of thousands of Iraqis with weapons of mass destruction and you are to stupid to think that he did not have them; just because the UN inspectors could not find them. How Much anthrax germs would you think; if you could think; could be hidden in several feet of desert sand. Go sleep on it. There is other germs out there that could cause you to wake up dead.

Ollie:
I've got strong opinions but maybe not quite as strong as yours. First let me say that in this part of Canada, you would have to hunt pretty hard to find anybody that supports our current government. We are prairie people and think very much along the same lines as the people in Montana, North Dakota, or Wyoming. That little line in the dust doesn't mean much to us. The people who run this country live north of New York and Detroit. Over half of Canada's population lives in that little piece over the great lakes. We vote and we get to see who they elected. We just hope that our Conservative minority fights the good fight for us. On the matter of the war, if I remember correctly, in World War 2, the Americans didn't come in until after Pearl Harbor. This is long after the Canadians were fully engaged. This just shows that we are still independent countries and we have free will when it comes to these things. We did, however, follow you into Afghanistan and more recently into Haiti. For what its worth, most of us in the west felt that we should have been in Iraq at least as back up. When I talk about protectionism, I'm talking about these constant challenges put forth by your government accusing our government of subsidizing our industries. First it was the softwood lumber challenge. That industry is not subsidized at all but we can produce cheaper than you because about 1/3 of Canada is covered with trees, yet for some reason the American government seems to think that if we are producing cheaper we must be subsidizing. Then there were a whole series of challenges from the US on our wheat board. Yes, we can produce wheat cheaper as well. Land up here is relatively cheap because its cold and I've seen snow in every month except June and July. who would want to live here? We are a large producer of fertilizer. When the Canadian dollar was worth $.66 american, we were making $1.50 for every American dollar. Now, the US government is putting forward a challenge on our hogs. Most of the big barns are run by Hutterite colonies which is kind of like a big communal family farm. They are cheaper because the labor is cheaper, but there are no government subsidies. All of these legal challenges are costing our producers money. Last year, the farmers in Canada overall lost money. We can't afford this extra stuff. The funny thing is there are never any challenges about how come we can supply oil and gas or electricity to the US so cheap because that seems to be what you need and it isn't affecting any American jobs. Anyway, I'm still threatening to do a big diatribe on why the protectionists are wrong and the free enterprisers are right. Maybe tomorrow.

Alf,
I need to apologize for criticising you. Having read your last post and realizing you have been in the marines and your two sons are or have been in Iraq, please accept my sincere thanks for fighting for our country and sending your sons to do the same. It seems especially difficult for you since you personally don't believe in the operation. You have earned the right in my book to say whatever you want. I am still going to vote against you and wish you could see like I do that some things for a nation or a government are difficult and dangerous but are still needed.
Thanks again,
Ollie

Latest posts