Speeding Up Spins & Rollbacks

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
Hey guys got a training question for all you trainers out there. I bought a colt today and he rides pretty nice. He knows about neck reining and will move off your leg bet you have to guide him through the spins and rollbacks. What is the next step in the training prossess to get him moving like a reiner. Any info would be great. Thanks Kane

Alot of practice doing turn arounds slowly. This is a movement alot of people get sloppy because they get too stupid about trying to pull the horse around too hard in front which forces the hind end to step out and you loose your pivot point. You should ask the forehand to start walking around a step at a time, when you feel that you are loosing your pivot point, which is when you feel the horse lean to the outside, that is when you should halt, or half halt on the reins, apply outside leg to re-align the horse, then ask for another step. When you do this too fast at first you loose the control to balance the horse correctly. So just remember, if you can't do the turn-around correctly slow, no way to do it fast correctly. However, current trends for the last several years now in reining is to forget the correctness of the spin and just do what I call is a fast turn-around while loosing the pivot point. Reining is a lot more like western pleasure showing now a days.

Thanks Hayray. He is really starting to get the hang of it. He is very responcive to every thing. It only takes about three times to make a habit with him. Thanks Kane

kaneranch":1cstyq90 said:
Hey guys got a training question for all you trainers out there. I bought a colt today and he rides pretty nice. He knows about neck reining and will move off your leg bet you have to guide him through the spins and rollbacks. What is the next step in the training prossess to get him moving like a reiner. Any info would be great. Thanks Kane

Takes time and your horse will let you know when hes ready.

Is he light in his shoulders? When you guide him through him rollbacks, does it feel like hes laboring around or is he light and moves freely and effortlessly over when you ask him?

I am still having to bump the outside rein to let him know whats goin on. Today was a waste of a day because I was trying some new techniques on him and we lost some ground, so today I was trying to fix that. One good part about this colt is he is very responcive so you have to be very consistant or you will start to see bad results. Thanks Matthew Kane

Latest posts