Speed trap

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
someone seems to be upset with the local law enforcement in estelline

From Wikipedia
Speed trap

Estelline has a reputation for being a prominent Texas speed trap.[9] It has a one-person police force whose main purpose is to enforce traffic laws.[10] From 2000 through 2009, Estelline had the second highest traffic fine revenue per citizen in Texas, more than 300% the per citizen revenue of third place Domino, Texas.
barney.jpg

A couple years ago the state took away big cabin, OK ability to write tickets due to excessive ticket writing.
The highway patrol took over patrolling.

To Serve and Protect has evolved into "To Serve Themselves and Protect Their Jobs and the Bureaucracy that Employs them"

slick4591":3sg8s33f said:
I've always wondered how a cop traps you if you are not speeding?
I got caught once in MY by the cops putting a temp 35 MPH sign in a 65 mph zone at the top of a hill that you couldn;t see over. Cop sat with his radar gun right at the sign. Every car that came through got a ticket and was directed to a JP in a little hick burg at the bottom of the hill.

that billboard is just a little ways before you hit town and the local policeman has a reputation so if you don't watch for the "speed trap" you learn real quick.
i spend the night about 15 miles from there twice a month and they interviewed him on the local news one night.
he says it's real simple the "on the hwy it's 70mph, when you come thru town it's 40 mph, obey the speed limit and you won't get a ticket"

cross_7":14tyrvhs said:
that billboard is just a little ways before you hit town and the local policeman has a reputation so if you don't watch for the "speed trap" you learn real quick.
i spend the night about 15 miles from there twice a month and they interviewed him on the local news one night.
he says it's real simple the "on the hwy it's 70mph, when you come thru town it's 40 mph, obey the speed limit and you won't get a ticket"

I used to get people telling me that we set up a speed trap on a U.S. Hwy, when the the speed limit was 55 for miles and miles. Their reasoning was they didn't see me. Oh, it's okay to speed as long as you don't see a cop? :lol:

slick4591":2hsu85x5 said:
cross_7":2hsu85x5 said:

I used to get people telling me that we set up a speed trap on a U.S. Hwy, when the the speed limit was 55 for miles and miles. Their reasoning was they didn't see me. Oh, it's okay to speed as long as you don't see a cop? :lol:
I have always thought it was ok to speed as long as the cop didn't see you. :hat:

like a HPD friend of mine told a speeder once,, who had the radio turn up loud and not seeing or hearing him behind... traveled a good ways before he finally seen him and pulled over... told him you know if your gonna speed you need to pay attention to your surroundings :cowboy:

slick4591":3drcwqck said:
cross_7":3drcwqck said:

Slick, I'll tell you just as I told my buddy who just got his new cruiser with the asphalt grey tone and the low profile light bar, "there ought to be a law against camouflaging a patrol car" . Ya'll need to go back to the bubble gum machines and these ought to be painted blaze orange and be at least 3' high. Then, I think, there'd be less speeding tickets.

Jogeephus":37ynjkpj said:
Slick, I'll tell you just as I told my buddy who just got his new cruiser with the asphalt grey tone and the low profile light bar, "there ought to be a law against camouflaging a patrol car" . Ya'll need to go back to the bubble gum machines and these ought to be painted blaze orange and be at least 3' high. Then, I think, there'd be less speeding tickets.

Lots of the smaller towns around here bought some black Chargers with low profile everything three or so years back. I think they paid for them the first couple of months. :lol:

john250":2ghlu18m said:
Ever see a well marked cruiser on the Interstate create an instant jam by just driving the limit?

Working night shift we would get out on Hwy. 75 southbound at the posted 55 mph and all that early morning Dallas traffic would stack up like cord wood. Don't remember working any wrecks in the four years of nights, either.

I-35 around North Lake, Tx needs one of those signs as well. They generally have 2 police cars on a small stretch of I-35 at all times. You can't tell me it isn't about money generation, especially when you seen them hiding on top of the overpasses. 90% of the people never even know they are there. From the Kansas border to the Gulf, I haven't seen another city act the same way. I keep thinking they will have their ability to issue tickets taken away, but maybe that is just an Oklahoma thing.

When the focus goes from public safety to money generation I have a problem.

Because I also value the lives of the men and women performing the civil duty, the increased chances they have to take by pulling more unknown people over, isn't justified by increase revenue.

Commercialfarmer":2u5p09l7 said:
You can't tell me it isn't about money generation, especially when you seen them hiding on top of the overpasses.

See, in the profession we'd call that overpass a tool to enforce the traffic laws. I can tell you the cop on the street doesn't give one rip about the money. They don't get any of it and it sure doesn't decide whether they get a raise or not. When I was on patrol the Chief wanted numbers. Numbers made him look good in front of the city council. The need to produce numbers was not a secret.

I think that city cops are the biggest waste of tax money there is . I have never seen one protect or serve the community . It's all about writing tickets to bring in money . I had some nail guns stolen out of my work truck one time . Cops came out basically said tough **** wouldn't dust for prints or anything . My dad was standing there talking to them and I walked over and put my generator out in the yard . Cop said what are you doing ? I said you can't catch em but I bet I can they will be laying here in the yard in the morning . Then he proceeded to tell me I couldn't bait them . I bet if people knew way back when there would nt be police . And they have the guts to call and ask for donations ...

JSCATTLE":2i5kkws5 said:
I think that city cops are the biggest waste of tax money there is . I have never seen one protect or serve the community . It's all about writing tickets to bring in money . I had some nail guns stolen out of my work truck one time . Cops came out basically said tough be nice wouldn't dust for prints or anything .
I have had very good experiences with city cops. Several times they have done everything they could to help me, beyond what I expected. A couple of them even changed a tire for me using their jack on the interstate. Buit this depends on what city/town you are in and the attitude seems to change according to who the current chief is.
On the other hand, I have had city as well as state act like complete you know what.
If you have an accident, not your fault, the La. state cops will ask you offbeat questions or change what you said and quote it to see if you catch it trying to rattle you to see if you stick to your story. :mad: That is not being of service.

My friend was elected sherriff and he replaced the sherriff the FBI took down along with a few of the judges. At one time we had the best law enforcement money could buy. Anyhow, he took to cleaning things up and refurbishing a tarnished image of law enforcement. He actually started enforcing the law but he went too far and he began playing the numbers game raking in money for the county to blow on frivalous BS. His friends, myself included, warned him he was taking things too far and if he kept it up he would be without a job. IMO, we now have a good balance. They will still ticket you if you push things but they don't push things to ticket you. Election is this year and I don't think he has a thing to worry about cause the majority agree we have a good and just system now. Of course, there is always room for improvement and once the anal DA is replaced we will have a great system.

Latest posts