Speed to thick?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Used the county no-till drill to plant my dwarf sorghum Sudan. Ended up with it about 40pounds to the acre. Places it's one on top of each other, and max about 2 inches apart. Too thick to make???

It doesn't sound too thick. I think a lot of places recommend that much or more.

Banjo said:
It doesn't sound too thick. I think a lot of places recommend that much or more.

Thank you. I feel short on seed, because I planted it to thick. I guess when I finish up, I'll plant the rest of the fieldjust as thick.

callmefence said:
Yeah we plant ss at 85 pounds. Makes better hay imo
you just gotta feed it good.

Good info. I'm going to have like $175 an acre in this stuff. I hope it spits out the rolls.

True Grit Farms said:
I just picked up 10 bags of Sudan - Sorghum seed for $28.50 a bag.

Crap. This dwarf SS was 1.39 a pound. I poured the fertilizer to it though.

How short you guys cut it? I'm still not decided how I want to cut it.

Bigfoot said:
True Grit Farms said:

I tried making hay out of Tif leaf 3 pearl millet and couldn't get it to dry down. I'm going to try making hay again on a couple of acres this year, except I'm going to rotary mow instead of using a disc mower. Fenceman said the thicker you plant the thinner the stalks and someone eIse mentioned rotary mowing to beat the stalks apart. Both makes sense to me. The SS and pearl millet will sure put some tonnage out.

Bigfoot, you will be fine at that rate... I typically plant it at 50-60 pounds to the acre. You really don't have to worry about cutting it too short, that stuff is pretty hardy and comes back fine. With the first cutting, I usually leave the stubble at about 1-2 inches. How many cuttings are you planning on? The stuff is good until the frost comes in.

Bigfoot said:
True Grit Farms said:

We bought 5000 pounds at 2400.00 in mid March. Last year it was 22.00 per cwt.
Used to be common practice to leave 4-6 " of stubble to pretty much guarantee a second and often a third cut. With the sugar cane aphids lots are going to scalping it on the first cutting.
I plan to try some spraying the aphids this year.
I'm thinking a insecticide with good long residual sprayed before it gets very tall after first cut. IDK
Red Bull Breeder said:
Cut it with a mo co
this is correct. A mowco or crimper is the truly right tool for the job.

TN Cattle Man said:
Bigfoot, you will be fine at that rate... I typically plant it at 50-60 pounds to the acre. You really don't have to worry about cutting it too short, that stuff is pretty hardy and comes back fine. With the first cutting, I usually leave the stubble at about 1-2 inches. How many cuttings are you planning on? The stuff is good until the frost comes in.

I got it out early enough, I'm hoping for 3. Then I'll grazeit extinction, and plant a forage oat.

I meant to post sowed too thick. Spell check got me. Wish it'd quit doing that ship.

Latest posts