Speech Topics?

Help Support CattleToday:

CPL

Reaction score
Well its about that time of year again when our FFA has its District Leadership Contest. This will be my second year doing Public Speaking and I haven't really come up with any good topics. Last year the topic was beef cattle selection and althought it got me third at the state contest, I really dreaded the speech because a 5-7 minute speech barely covered the basics. I've kicked around a few ideas such as management practices, using modern techonolgy (AI, ET, genetic material,etc.) but nothing that has really excited me yet. I'll do all the research, but if anyone has some suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks, Christian.

CPL":1xf5yfvm said:
Well its about that time of year again when our FFA has its District Leadership Contest. This will be my second year doing Public Speaking and I haven't really come up with any good topics. Last year the topic was beef cattle selection and althought it got me third at the state contest, I really dreaded the speech because a 5-7 minute speech barely covered the basics. I've kicked around a few ideas such as management practices, using modern techonolgy (AI, ET, genetic material,etc.) but nothing that has really excited me yet. I'll do all the research, but if anyone has some suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks, Christian.

How about feed efficiency?

Can it be about anything FFA related? Do it about something you are interested in, that way you will have more fun doing it. Check out some industry magazines and website and see what is in the news, that way you can find an interesting idea and also find plenty of info about it.

Since there is a growing market for locally produced food, you could do a speech on marketing techniques for freezer beef or other poroducts.

TexasBred":3olu4blz said:
The Effects of Lactobacillus acidophilus on Rectal Temperatures in Lactating Holstein Cattle.

tell me that isn't a mouthfull.

how about market price problems?

Its broad but what about future production levels and techniques to meet consumer demand? You could look into how the production of meat and crops could potentially change to meet higher demands in a more populated world.

Personally, I'm a fan of sustainable agriculture practices. Such as grassfed beef, rotationaly grazing, chickens for parasites and dung spreading, dung beetles for manure incorporation and water infiltration, worms for water infiltration and fertilization from castings, and of course honey bees for pollination.

It's a topic that can be covered in that timeline just by going over the advantages for future sustainability over conventional practices.

brandonm_13":2tbe0l8e said:
Personally, I'm a fan of sustainable agriculture practices. Such as grassfed beef, rotationaly grazing, chickens for parasites and dung spreading, dung beetles for manure incorporation and water infiltration, worms for water infiltration and fertilization from castings, and of course honey bees for pollination.

It's a topic that can be covered in that timeline just by going over the advantages for future sustainability over conventional practices.

Grassfed around these parts the last few months would be eating broom weed and mesquite. Real "hot" feeds.

brandonm_13 said:

It's a topic that can be covered in that timeline just by going over the advantages for future sustainability over conventional practices.[/quote)

I bet "CPL" is trying to make it to state this year with a plan to win. Unless FFA has changed in the last few years this topic will fall on deaf ears. Though I believe the present Agricultural system is not sustainable, most folks are not ready to hear it yet.
CPL you might consider a topic along the lines of surviving the current economic downturn. Sustainable will have to be included in this topic.

TexasBred":he6hy7un said:
brandonm_13":he6hy7un said:

Grassfed around these parts the last few months would be eating broom weed and mesquite. Real "hot" feeds.
Its very hard to enter a sustainable system in the middle of a drought with mismanaged pastures.

I did a speech while in FFA about proper cattle handling. Used Temple Grandin as a source, among others.

Also did a speech on the increased benefits of high oil corn, but that was just a fad. You don't even hear much about that anymore.

Bluestem":3f50yt7r said:
TexasBred":3f50yt7r said:
brandonm_13":3f50yt7r said:

Its very hard to enter a sustainable system in the middle of a drought with mismanaged pastures.

Nothing to manage or mismanage around here. Army worms first followed by nothing but dry weather and blowing wind. Been feeding hay since Sept. Only management decision is where to put the bales.

Latest posts