Speckled Perch, Callico Bass, Crappie

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Dogwoods are beginning to bloom. Full moon is Wednesday. 80 degrees. I'm thinking I'm going to be sick Wednesday or Thursday. Got 4 things I've got to do but IF I can get them done I'm gonna drown some minnows. :banana:

Jogeephus":1md0ifmd said:
Dogwoods are beginning to bloom. Full moon is Wednesday. 80 degrees. I'm thinking I'm going to be sick Wednesday or Thursday. Got 4 things I've got to do but IF I can get them done I'm gonna drown some minnows. :banana:

I pulled the boat out of the barn yesterday and fired her off. I like white perch and speckled trout.
I have been in a quandry over should I go to Trinty bay and chase specks or up the forks of the Angelina and Neches rivers and chase white perch. After much thought yesterday I decided to do both.

Last Saturday I took 1 dead cedar tree and 1 dead Arizona cypress tree out in my mother in law's pond to use as fish attractors. Found out they don't sink. Went back to the bank and found some cinderblocks and barbed wire. Went back out and tied the blocks to the trees and so anchored them to the bottom. I think they'll sink after they soak up some water. Me and my youngest son then fished once around the pond casting small spinnerbaits and caught some very nice bluegills. You could see fish beds all over the bottom. I think this week will be some very good fishing. We're really looking forward to going back this Saturday.

ga. prime":261l8pz2 said:
Last Saturday I took 1 dead cedar tree and 1 dead Arizona cypress tree out in my mother in law's pond to use as fish attractors. Found out they don't sink. Went back to the bank and found some cinderblocks and barbed wire. Went back out and tied the blocks to the trees and so anchored them to the bottom. I think they'll sink after they soak up some water. Me and my youngest son then fished once around the pond casting small spinnerbaits and caught some very nice bluegills. You could see fish beds all over the bottom. I think this week will be some very good fishing. We're really looking forward to going back this Saturday.

Speaking of fish attractants, I'll give you a tip and you can think what you want about it. If possible, use river birch rather than cedars. This is a tip given me by a fella I used to fish with. He wrote for Field and Stream and a couple other magazines. He is by far the best crappie fisherman I've ever met. Any day of the year, any day of the week he could take me and I'd always get my limit of 50. (at the time) Talk about spoiled.

CB, I can find in fault in your logic. Good conservative decision making. :lol2:

I got several things to do today cause yesterday kinda fell apart. Hopefully everything will work out today and I can slip off. In my mind I have already caught a mess, cleaned them and I can smell them frying. :banana:

We used to call em Callicos when I was a kid, spent most of the time getting them through the ice. Once I got older we just seemed to call them Crappie, we got whites and blacks up here. You guys are spoiled down there, we still got slushy ice on the lakes.

P1000735-1.jpg

We only caught 1 white perch. Got a good mess of bluegills though. Must've caught and thrown back at least 20 bass. Had fish for supper last night. :D

Panther Martins mostly. My son was using a Mepps Black Fury and doing well with it until a lunker bass got on and broke the line. Had the drag too tight. He switched to a PM and lightened up on the drag.

Caustic Burno":dg3wekvx said:
Jogeephus":dg3wekvx said:

I pulled the boat out of the barn yesterday and fired her off. I like white perch and speckled trout.
I have been in a quandry over should I go to Trinty bay and chase specks or up the forks of the Angelina and Neches rivers and chase white perch. After much thought yesterday I decided to do both.

Hope you worked em over in the bay...Been fishing the mouth of the river the last few weeks and killin em. SheDogs and spoons, of course now after the big rain that pattern is shot! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gonin after the white perch this morning just got in from hooking up the boat. Talked with the boss about going and visiting the grandkids first of Apirl. Of coarse I will pull the boat wanted to go check out West Bay since Ike went through.

HC I always prefered the Mirro-Lures and the Johnson Spite, back in the tournament days mirrolure used to supply mine and two of my fishing partners with lures.

Caustic Burno":hox0qw0i said:
Gonin after the white perch this morning just got in from hooking up the boat. Talked with the boss about going and visiting the grandkids first of Apirl. Of coarse I will pull the boat wanted to go check out West Bay since Ike went through.

HC I always prefered the Mirro-Lures and the Johnson Spite, back in the tournament days mirrolure used to supply mine and two of my fishing partners with lures.

Caustic, don't forget the Corkies. One of the best hand made lures you can get and even the knock-offs don't compare to the real thing.

BeefmasterB":8are5ex9 said:
Caustic Burno":8are5ex9 said:

Caustic, don't forget the Corkies. One of the best hand made lures you can get and even the knock-offs don't compare to the real thing.

I always like the 7 inch Red Fin when fishing the tournaments, I got two more I am after before I meet my maker I need the 11 and 12 pound speck. I always like fishing Karankawa reef and old intercoastal.

Caustic Burno":1wsk3wih said:
Jogeephus":1wsk3wih said:

CB, I know you probably know this but if you go into any of the Galveston bay complex be really careful of the debris still in the water from the storm. Friend of mine put his brand new rig in East bay and after about thirty minutes of running knocked the lower unit off. But I hear they are bittin' really good though.

Latest posts