Speckle Park Cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian

Reaction score
Northern New England Region, Tenterfield NSW Austr
Speckle Park have just started to get off the ground here in Australia. Only young cattle here for now. Lots of embryos bought in from Canada. 7 month old bull calf sold for $25,000 recently. Entrepreneurs are on the go with them. Guess when they make some money they'll get out of them pretty quickly. I'm not sure how they will go. They seem all right the bit I've read about them. Time will tell. Any comments from the North Americans?

May be wrong here but I don't understand how cattle bred for the Canadian climate would do well in Australia. Just seems like the climate would be wrong for the most part. Are there areas of Australia that are similar to that of Canada?
I really don't know anything first hand about either country. Just the way I visualize things.

Oh, I don't know, The breed is mostly Angus from what I understand, kind of like the Murray Grey breed, started out with one cow that produced a certain type of calf and went on from there. Murray Grey originated in Australia, and is now successful in USA and Canada. So I don't see why Speckle Park would be much different. Cattle are pretty adaptable....

I think they are a White Park/Angus cross. So, I would imagine that they would be similar to most British breeds in how they adapt to the temperature. I saw some at Agribition a couple of years ago and they looked like pretty good stock. The only thing I would kind of wonder about is if you would get docked for the coloring. I had some white Galloway cattle that would throw white calves with speckles on them and I never did very well with those at the stock yard when I sold them mostly, I think, because of the funny coloring. I think as purebred stock, maybe a person would do well with them. Good Luck.

There were some White Park x Angus weaners offered up for sale at a Victorian cattle sale can't remember where abouts at the moment .. anyway these weaners topped the sale, buyers really snapped them up because they were different I guess. There was an article in the "Weekly Times" paper about them. They were black with a white/roanish stripe down their back.

The Speckle Park's originate from White Park/Shorthorn/Angus stock.
The calves on the ground here, well, to date - they're just cattle.
I'd like to see the bulls cut and see how the steers perform, given this forms a large part on what they are being sold on. Not a single calf has been cut to date.
Most of the calves have been sold to 'hobby' breeders, who have bought a bull and heifer each.
I do think the breed has potential, but the 'entrepeneurs' are making their money while they can. I'd really like to see some carcase results out here in Australia.

Australian":39ezw44u said:
Thats what I think. Colour will be the thing that will hold them back. its silly because colour has little to do with beef.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :nod: :nod: :nod: :clap: :clap: :clap: Boy ain't that the truth!

Latest posts