Species for grass finishing

Help Support CattleToday:

brandonm_13

Reaction score
Anyone have any species of grass/legumes that they have found to be particularly good or bad for grass finishing, either by putting on weight, marbling, or taste of the meat?

I try to keep them on younger grass before it gets woody. I have not tried keeping them on different types of grasses to see how they do and taste.

I have tried old apples and pitted peaches, onions and garlic, and oranges and grapefruits as daily snacks. These things did change there flavors and I will never try the onions and garlic again. The citrus I will do again if I can find a large amount of old citrus and will have room in my freezers.

How does the citrus affect the taste?

I know that infected fescue is supposed to give a bad taste. Haven't heard of any others.

The citrus gave it a very light grain type flavor with a tang like taste. We love it but it cost too much unless I can get a good size truck load that are somewhat bad and sort out the bad and store the good ones cold. The bad ones make good compost.

The say with milk cows that it should be feed right after milking so it dose not flavor the milk to much.

The ones we finished on alflfa years ago had a grassy taste to the meat. When we went to oat hay instead of alfalfa the taste deal went away.

How did the apples affect the flavor?
We have ours grazing on orchard, timothy, and clover in a apple orchard. They have free choice apples during the fall months.

We could not tell a difference with the apples but they were only getting two 5 gallon buckets between 3 heifers for 120 days. We did quarter them before feeding because I didn't want to find a cow that choked; but who knows how often that will happen.

i finish on bahia and citrus pellets. the pellets are the next best thing to corn and considerably cheaper. i sell it to a lotta locals. our meat is top notch..i cant grow enuff for the demand...