Speaking of yotes...

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
How many of you all have ever really actually seen a coyote take down a calf? Or at least know for sure that they did? I personally have never seen or known one to do that. I think they get more deer calves than anything around here. I still dont like them, and if given the oppotunity, will shoot em down.

One place we had had a slope from the neighbors pasture down to our place. His cows would come over the hill and calve near our back fence. I saw coyotes tear the calf out of the cow while she was in labor but never after it was born and the cow was on her feet. That was the beginning of my hate for coyotes.

I have never seen a coyote take down a live calf. They are all over me. When I am mowing pastures they come out and catch rats and mice. Kind of interesting to watch them.

Saw a single yote take a squirrell out of the pecan bottoms while I was deer hunting last week. We are over run with squirrell here so that is a good thing too.

I hauled a still born calf to a brush thicket about two years ago. Went over with the hoe an hour or so later to bury it and the calf was gone. I figure it was yotes but don't know for sure.

I don't shoot them. I could at any point but they have done no harm thus far.

Hogs are the real problem. I have been hoping that coyotes take a liking to piglets.

Yes,we have seen them take down a couple of day old calf. I was fortunate to have a friend of mine alert us to yotes being on the pasture. He said he saw them chasing a new born calf. Sure enough they were. My brother went with me one morning and they were after a calf. He shot 3 of them. There was 7 or 8 of them together that morning. The calf turned out ok. It had a few bite marks on him.
So do not be fooled that yotes won't attack and kill a calf. I know a few years ago we lost a couple of cows calving. The yotes attack when the cows were down birthing. Killed the calf and ate the back end of the cow.
We also had a 8-10 month old heifer that was in a pen. This guy wrote out a check for her,but couldn't take her for a couple of weeks. I showed up to feed her one morning and half of back end was eaten. I first thought mountain lion. But I could see where her feet and legs were all chewed up. So I know it was some kind of dogs or yotes.
We shoot any and all yotes we see. Speaking of hogs. Since we have all of those wild hogs taking over our pasture. we haven't seen any yotes. I do have one Bobcat that shows up ever so often.

When there is an abundance of natural pray yotes are seldom a problem. It's when for some reason or another when the pray species crash [and they do] The yotes are short of food and will take on young calves injuring and killing. Once they get into killing calves they get very good at it.

weve seen yotes close to the cow pasture.but never seen 1 kill a calf.now ive had a calf or 2 dissappear an wonder if it was yotes.but couldnt prove it.

A few years ago I was driving down the road when I noticed two yotes trying to outflank a cow and get to her newborn calf. One yote would get the cows attention and the other would try to sneak around and get the calf. I stopped the truck and yelled at the yotes and threw rocks to run them off but they only ran about 100 yards, stopped, sat down ad waited for me to leave. I called the land owner and told him of the situation. I told him that I had a 6mm Remington varmint rifle in the truck and asked him if I could shoot the yotes. He said NO. He said that he didn't allow any hunting on his place. He actually got angry that I had even called. I told him that the calf wouldn't last the day because I could tell that the cow was very worn down. He said that he would call the police on me if I shot into his pasture. I said OK it's your cow and calf. Well needless to say the calf was killed and eaten and the cow was injured enough that it had to be put down. I saw him pulling the dead cow out to the road with his tractor the next day. I stopped and told him who I was and that it was me that had called the day before. All he did was to remind me AGAIN not to try and shoot yotes in his pasture. I figure that paranoid attitude cost him a couple grand that day.

HOSS":1mqxnjdv said:
A few years ago I was driving down the road when I noticed two yotes trying to outflank a cow and get to her newborn calf. One yote would get the cows attention and the other would try to sneak around and get the calf. I stopped the truck and yelled at the yotes and threw rocks to run them off but they only ran about 100 yards, stopped, sat down ad waited for me to leave. I called the land owner and told him of the situation. I told him that I had a 6mm Remington varmint rifle in the truck and asked him if I could shoot the yotes. He said NO. He said that he didn't allow any hunting on his place. He actually got angry that I had even called. I told him that the calf wouldn't last the day because I could tell that the cow was very worn down. He said that he would call the police on me if I shot into his pasture. I said OK it's your cow and calf. Well needless to say the calf was killed and eaten and the cow was injured enough that it had to be put down. I saw him pulling the dead cow out to the road with his tractor the next day. I stopped and told him who I was and that it was me that had called the day before. All he did was to remind me AGAIN not to try and shoot yotes in his pasture. I figure that paranoid attitude cost him a couple grand that day.

Near as I can tell there is still no cure for stupid.

3waycross":1sfrz0ho said:
HOSS":1sfrz0ho said:

What a dumb ass!

dun":2dwxzwjf said:
One place we had had a slope from the neighbors pasture down to our place. His cows would come over the hill and calve near our back fence. I saw coyotes tear the calf out of the cow while she was in labor but never after it was born and the cow was on her feet. That was the beginning of my hate for coyotes.

Seen the same thing more than once. My buddy calves out over 3000 head most years and we hit those hayfields during calving with the spotlights every chance we get. I have shot several trying to tear a calf out of the cow.

i dont remember when ive ever seen more than one coyote at a time until the last year or so. but there is a pair thats been hanging around and they arent scared of anything. last year a young cow went missing and i noticed her gone within 24 hours, but when i found her she was dead kind of in a hole in the woods. her calf had been as best as i could tell pulled out of her and dragged away. i know the calf was dragged away but i'm not sure if it was removed from her or if she had it and died later. anyway, she didnt have a mark on her that i could see so i dont know if she died calving or from stress or what.i never found the calf. i have also had dead calves disappear before i could bury them. a couple of weeks ago a heifer left her calf hidden while she went to eat and i never found hide nor hair of the calf and i think the coyotes got it and took it away. makes me sick. Fortunately one of the coyotes got run over this week, at least i hope it was one of my problem yotes.

One coyote isnt a problem. when they start hunting in pairs or packs is when you have a problem.

3waycross":2ghpbiwb said:
HOSS":2ghpbiwb said:

And like Dun said it goes clear to the bone.

Beefy":3ovawdvm said:
One coyote isnt a problem. when they start hunting in pairs or packs is when you have a problem.

I have seen one yote attack a calve by itself. It looked like a purebred but I may be wrong. The teeth marks oused blood but the calf made it past that.

There is a good bit of previously posted posts on this subject with folks weighing on one side or the other.

3waycross":3591wfl1 said:
HOSS":3591wfl1 said:

I sure hope there is no leaks in his gene pool.

Most times of the yr coyotes run in pairs you might only see one but most of the time their is two around
Most of the time they will not attacka calve that is up and going but one laying off by itself is fair game to them
About calves disappearing completely that is more likely a bobcat they will drag their catch off and bury it for later , a coyote will eat on it an leave it the come back and you can usually find evidence of the carcass
In the last 2 weeks we have trapped 7 yotes and 6 male Bobcats the avg weight on the cats was28 lbs had one go 35
Also the cats are are hard on Turkeys ,Quail and deer

Red Bull Breeder":fay5188j said:
Coyote's have never give me any trouble, but my old cows won't put up with them they will move them along.

Our's learned in time as well. I saw my first one in about 1988. I'd say the cows knew they were here before me. I can't say we still don't have trouble to some extent with their breed.

DNR released them back in sometime prior to curb the deer population .... or so that's what I was told.

baxter78":u4acybwr said:
I see one every now and then and it is always the same one. The cows always go after it and try and kill it so he dont stick around to long. Then the last time i saw him I chased him on the 4 wheeler and nearly got him (i was gonna run him over).

In your dreams you were gonna run over a coyote with a 4 wheeler. Sure would like to see the film on that chase.

i actually chase them on the fourwheeler. will have to strap my camera on next time. you should see the look on the coyotes face...

**kids, cfpinz, et al: dont try this at home**

Beefy":2aai51wb said:
i actually chase them on the fourwheeler. will have to strap my camera on next time. you should see the look on the coyotes face...

**kids, cfpinz, et al: dont try this at home**

Chasin them is one thing, but running over them?

Besides why risk all that death and destruction when Mr Winchester provided us with a much better option.