Speaking of yotes...

Help Support CattleToday:

Every once and a while you hear of the coyotes actually feeding on the calf while the dam is still calving. Thankfully it hasn't happened to us ,and it is pretty quiet around here since we got Al and Marshmallow (the llama and Alpaca). Usually I see the same pair around here with their new pups. They keep their distance from the cattle as well as us and are great for gopher control .

Limomike":23ae2quo said:
How many of you all have ever really actually seen a coyote take down a calf? Or at least know for sure that they did? I personally have never seen or known one to do that. I think they get more deer calves than anything around here. I still dont like them, and if given the oppotunity, will shoot em down.

No, I've never seen a coyote take down a calf, but I've talked to too many people who have to not believe it happens. A number of years ago I was checking the cows and one of them had twins. She had already delivered one, and was in the process of delivering the 2nd one. I surprised a coyote apprx 5-10 feet away from the first calf and, if I had been 20 minutes later, that calf would have been history.

Beefy":2e5ynzjq said:
i actually chase them on the fourwheeler. will have to strap my camera on next time. you should see the look on the coyotes face...

**kids, cfpinz, et al: dont try this at home**

Beefy, try running over an armadillo before you upgrade to a coyote. You may want to scrap the whole plan. I was all over the 4wheller and knew it was going to have me for lunch before things got back in control after running an armadillo over.

hillrancher":3lqe0o01 said:
Beefy":3lqe0o01 said:
i actually chase them on the fourwheeler. will have to strap my camera on next time. you should see the look on the coyotes face...

**kids, cfpinz, et al: dont try this at home**

Beefy, try running over an armadillo before you upgrade to a coyote. You may want to scrap the whole plan. I was all over the 4wheller and knew it was going to have me for lunch before things got back in control after running an armadillo over.

You should try a diller with a tractor pulling a bush-hog. The secret is to not fall for the feints and jooks it makes from side to side.

i dont even think you can kill a coyote with a 4wheeler..ive run over my dog with one twice. i just like to see the look on their face when they realize i'm faster than they are. they have that oh crud look in their eye and start pulling out the fancy moves.

My barn cats started disappearing this past spring. Started noticing turds that were obviously not from my dogs. About a month ago a coyote ran out of one of my barns when I got a roll of hay out of it. The barn is less that 100 yards from my house. He/she was not near the mouser that the barn cats were.

Personally I kind of like coyotes. Nothing works harder than momma coyote trying to feed a den of pups?
Have not had much trouble with coyotes. They used to try to get the border collie a time or two but she was too smart to fall for that! A few well placed shots fro the old .22 tends to keep them honest?
Have had trouble with foxes trimming up the yard cats but then I figure well it weeds out the dummer cats so maybe that is a good thing?

The thing is.. people used to trap them, or kill them one way or another, and get their hides to sell. Now, not too many people do that anymore, they are just another predator that proliferates. How many pups can they have in one year?

Limomike the pair near us had 4 pups this spring. They average between 2 to 5 a year.

Just listening to a story of a couple of kids in Colorado that had a coyote coming after them while snow boarding on a golf course. One hit it with his snow board he was bitten, but not too bad.

Had one that would come in after our dog. Had the trapper out quite a few times, he finally got him.

Alberta farmer":2d1ikdfd said:
Have had trouble with foxes trimming up the yard cats but then I figure well it weeds out the dummer cats so maybe that is a good thing?

I thought radiator fans had that job. :lol:

1982vett":qphpsl05 said:
Alberta farmer":qphpsl05 said:

I thought radiator fans had that job. :lol:

Only if you have cats!

Bro-in-law pulled up to the house and I was outside. We were chatting and my dogs started going nuts. His cat darts out from under the hood and up an oak tree.

That cat had apparently ridden over 20 miles somewhere in the engine compartment.

There's a guy that lives about 45 minutes from here that has killed 43 yotes this year that I know of. :clap: We've got way too many here but as many as we used to. :D

Latest posts