speaking of twins

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have had a rash of twins in the last 2 yrs.Had 4 cows calve since Sunday and 2 have had twins. Had about 5 sets of twins last yr. and 2 sets this spring. Whats going on. Used to have only one set every couple yrs. I did buy a new bull and got my first calves when the twins started about time this started.any input would be helpful

[email protected]

Twins are strictly a female thing. A bulls daughters may be prone to twinning, but the bull can't cause twins when he is bred to something. I've heard that twins popped up more frequently around this area this year also. I wonder if people using fertility drugs to synchronize their cows may be the cause. Our only set this year was from a heifer on her first standing heat.

dunmovin farms

> I have had a rash of twins in the
> last 2 yrs.Had 4 cows calve since
> Sunday and 2 have had twins. Had
> about 5 sets of twins last yr. and
> 2 sets this spring. Whats going
> on. Used to have only one set
> every couple yrs. I did buy a new
> bull and got my first calves when
> the twins started about time this
> started.any input would be helpful

Only two species are known to have identical twins fairly frequently. One is humans (natch) and the second is cattle. Twins are usually from the cow dropping two or more eggs however a small percentage of twins are from a splitting of the embryo at the 16 cell stage (may also be at 32 cell stage). Thus a very small number of twins are caused by the bull's tendancy to throw twins, but only identical ones. Mixed twins cannot ever be caused by the sire--grandsire, yes, but not sire. Clear as mud? V

Latest posts